The truth about torco..

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I have read posts back and forth on this topic, but wanted to see if others have ran into the fouling.

So far from what I have read some ran into issues with the 05-07(old style heads that use the HT0's)..

Since I live in Nazifornia race gas is hard to find and a pia to get. There is a place far away that carries 100 oct, but I would rather have a small can of whoop ass to use and mix with the crappy 91.. Easier to carry instead of a 5 gallons of 100 in the trunk.. truth or myth?

lostsoul

Reaction score
are you asking if octane booster is comparable to leaded race gas? Is so, no.

no.. I'm asking if torco will foul plugs fast and cause miss-fires and bad things to happen. I know the cheap octane booster sold in stores will screw our plugs up fast. Stanly found that out the hard way..

so far it seems torco is ok with the newer style heads with the different spark plugs.. but for us with HT0's might be screwed.

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
TORCO

I am on my second stroker and currently use Torco (1 can to 10 gallon ratio) and that is with 93oct fuel to start with. I am not sure what octane that works out to be but it is a little safety margin that makes me have some piece of mind with his motor. My plugs are not fouled, but do have a rust looking color on them which wipes off easily since using the Torco. My wideband shows high 10.x to low 11.x. at WOT and I have a return system from Fore with 60lbs injectors and I run 16psi boost with a Powerhouse 76mm. So, for me there seems to be no issues yet, and I go WOT every open road I am on? I also wonder how others are doing with this produce??

lostsoul

Reaction score
according to their charts you would be at 104 @ 10 gallons..
I'm trying to get a tune session going and I wanted to have the 91 tune and something for 95 and up. Having a 32oz can makes things simple..

Ideally, since I dont drive the car all the time I wouldnt mind just sticking to a 95 or higher tune.

you talked about the rust color.. how often do you look at the plugs.?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
The MMT in Torco will coat your combustion chamber and plugs with that weird orange colored resin. Whether it's actually harmful or not has been a huge debate for years.

Either way, there are other options- you can make home brew race gas with Xylene (sold at hardware stores) and Marvel Mystery Oil- I've done this successfully several times. If I remember correctly, 1 gallon of Xylene mixed with 3 gallons of 91 octane and 4 oz of MMO works out to 98 octane. Xylene is usually sold in 1 gallon cans (for about $15 each) and carries an octane rating of 117 on it's own.

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
Plugs

I havent pulled them since I got the car back from PowerHouse, which is about 1000 miles ago, so I am going out the the garage and pull a few since it is about time for a check. I will post some pics in a few!

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
plugs

Okay, pulled the rear four plugs, and they all look the same. In the first pic, you can see the rust looking stuff, the same plug wipped with my finger and it is clean as a whistle. Also, the underside of the strap where the electrode and spark meet is clean and shinny, no rust looking stuff!

Attachments

• DSC02075.JPG
    DSC02075.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 102

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the good old MMT residue.

It's strange....sometimes it wipes right off, other times it "stains" the metal. Probably has to do with how much exposure the parts have to it.

N

navbtcret

I ran it all last year on the same set of HTO plugs. I made easily 80 - 100 passes with it, plus the driving until it was used up. I did not have any issues at all, my plugs looked good everytime I pulled them and I alway pull one on each side after every track visit. I also run it with 93 octane for an equivilant of 104 octane. I think you will be fine running it. I also picked up about 40 rwhp with it and my tune was still very safe 11.6 a/f.

I am install a fuel cell this winter though so I can run race gas at the track and still run 93 on the street. I do not trailer my car to the track so with a flip of a switch I'll be able to run the fuel cell (installing a GT500 fuel pump in it too just like my tank) and then flip it back when leaving to run the stock gas tank. I am running new fuel line with check valves on each line so it does not back feed into the idle tank. This way I can have the best of both worlds, real race fuel and keep the car streetable and not have to pump out the tank at the track, fill it with race gas, pump the unused race gas out, and put in the 93 octane when leaving. No gas cans to carry unless the fuel cell is getting low.

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
I am very interested in this as well. FYI, I buy my 100 octane @ the Sunol gas station off the 680 just before the big grade into Milpitas and San Jose. They sell it @ 5.99/gal.

lostsoul

Reaction score
ahhhhh.. even if the red rust is easy to wipe off on the spark plug, I cant clean it in side the engine.. Why cant anything be easy :kill:

looks like I will have to raped at 8 bucks a gallon.. Since I dont use that car much I was hoping to just run a t 95 tune or race tune all the time.

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
rust looking stuff

I am not so sure the rust colored stuff is really any different than a normal carbon residue, just colored. I am going to contact the company and see what they have to say?

lostsoul

Reaction score
I found out there is another company that makes pertty much the same stuff.. I guess they were the original makers of it.. I tried to call, but no answer.. so I sent them a message asking them if theirs has the MMT stuff and if they know anything about the rust stuff.

looks like it would be a tad cheaper just getting the 100oct from the gas station.. but its not very convenient =-/

lostsoul

Reaction score
lethal sales it.

As for E85........ F that. Thats for bi-curious homos.... :evil:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back