Thinking of selling my car....or engine.

spyder7724

Reaction score
not sure what direction to go. maybe i should sell the car turn key with the good engine or strip it and go back to stock (engine and the rest) then part out all the good stuff. any ideas anybody done it yet....

spyder7724

Reaction score
y are you selling if you don't mind me asking
kids wife etc. just had another major health scare and i just don't have the time and resources to fully enjoy what i have. i haven't even scratched the surface of this engines real potential. i mean if i had this combo 3-4 years ago i might be ableto get it in the low 10's but now so much has changedin my life i'm thinking i might be happier converting it back to the stock engine and just driving it to work everyday. i have the engine to stay the top dog for NA cars but it would mean destroying the car to keep up. if someone had a car already stripped out and ready like mattd's car that engine would easily run 10.20's or quicker. heck my car is over #3800 with me in it and has a stock 5r55s with just TCI converter and street style suspension (no solid rod ends here) heck the AC PS and everything is still functional and i've still run 10.80's at a crappy track with full exhaust on DOT tires.
engine has roughly 50 runs on it with less than 300 total miles.
i really don't want to sell it but what good is having it if i can't race it and really enjoy it....i would rather sell it and watch someone else go out and embarrass the 4V guys and power adder cars :)

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron, it saddens me to hear you are going through health issues. I pray for the best for you and your family.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
PM sent.

And sorry about everything! You were super helpful when I did my 5.4 swap

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know if you need anything Ron. I'd hate to see you sell it but that might be the best thing. I think a nice daily driver SHO would suit both your needs. Speed and family.

JJ

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
like a band-aid.... all of it, quick... the $ gained from a la carte will cost in time, effort, etc...

JM2

spyder7724

Reaction score
Let me know if you need anything Ron. I'd hate to see you sell it but that might be the best thing. I think a nice daily driver SHO would suit both your needs. Speed and family.

JJ
hahaha you know how bad i want to race i just don't think i'd last long with an ecoboost....
BTW health is okay for now but i do wonder how many times i can get away cheating fate given my medical history. i feel fine but this crap makes you think alot.
what i really need is a good sponsor to help pay the bills ...that would help a bunch :)
problem is for me i really love this engine...sounds stupid but i've got so much time and development invested in it and i'm proud and amazed at what i was able to do with it...and knowing there's so much more left in it kills me that i can't go after it like i was able to do a few years ago.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron,

Good Luck with whatever ends up being your choice on the situation.
Personally me being an older fellow here I (Suggest) not making a quick decision.
Let some time go by and see how things go before jumping in and Dumping the Engine and or Mustang.

Terry aka "tigerhonaker"

Beauch

New Car / Old School
Reaction score
Find a partner. Got a Son? Got a Grandson? You need someone willing to crawl under, has a decent job and no kids/wife of their own. Having an old guy with knowledge and a project is every young apprentice's dream.

Maybe you could start a school? You would be amazed how valuable your knowledge is if you find a suitable format to market it.

I'm just saying exhaust all your options (inside the box or out) before you sell off your dream.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Find a partner. Got a Son? Got a Grandson? You need someone willing to crawl under, has a decent job and no kids/wife of their own. Having an old guy with knowledge and a project is every young apprentice's dream.

Maybe you could start a school? You would be amazed how valuable your knowledge is if you find a suitable format to market it.

I'm just saying exhaust all your options (inside the box or out) before you sell off your dream.

This right here

spyder7724

Reaction score
as JJ knows i went through this about 7-8 years ago when i sold my super gas roadster,trailer, spares etc. then bought the stang so i could just "chill out" and have some fun :) i love racing and especially trying to max out a certain combination or innovating something new or untried. just thinking if i sell this car i'll probably turn around and start a new project within a couple months. i do love this car and hanging out with you guys at the races and here on the boards even though i can't do it as much as before.
thanks for all the support folks and i won't rush into anything. thats probably why i posted this instead of listing it in the for sale section first.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i'd say part out the car and sell it all. get an 03/04 cobra and be happy or just don't get anything if you just want to stop spending money.

when i got rid of the s197 i got a 91 foxbody for a complete race build until i noticed that it wasnt going to be fun for what i like.

so i parted it out as well and got the 04

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron, you'll get through this and back on the track soon. There's a latemodel 5.0 shootout at MIR on the 28th. Take the day off, go as a spectator, and plan how you're going to kick all those NA 5.0 punk's ass...including JJ's...:thumb2:

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.. But always remember health is the most important thing, yet probably the most overlooked..

spyder7724

Reaction score
Ron, you'll get through this and back on the track soon. There's a latemodel 5.0 shootout at MIR on the 28th. Take the day off, go as a spectator, and plan how you're going to kick all those NA 5.0 punk's ass...including JJ's...:thumb2:
thought about it and talked to my wife....i'm keeping it and selling the stock engine and some of my extra crap. I'm just not ready to retire completely :) i would just build something else. would still like to build a dedicated race car s197 though. then i could get the weight down and not feel bad about cutting up my car. i took it out this weekend and drove around a little....man it runs so good for a little engine that sucks it's own atmosphere. just not going to try and keep up with everyone else now. i've had the record for long enough it's someone elses turn now. i'll just concentrate on bracket racing...the cars deadly consistant and it's fun spotting all those big block camaros and novas on a saturday night :) thanks for all the input guys (and girl too)

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good. I'll send you a note now and then when Laura and I take the cars out for lengthy "get out of the house and drive" rides on weekends. I'm broke for the next month so no racing until late April for me, but I can spend a little cash on overpriced premium gas and hit I70 for a blast to western MD and back...

spyder7724

Reaction score
Good. I'll send you a note now and then when Laura and I take the cars out for lengthy "get out of the house and drive" rides on weekends. I'm broke for the next month so no racing until late April for me, but I can spend a little cash on overpriced premium gas and hit I70 for a blast to western MD and back...
cool that would be great. just remember make them somewhat short trips....hard to find E85 and i only get 10mpg if i keep my foot out of it :)
wish we could get some good weather finally

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back