tie rod ends bad?

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
ok I had to deal with front end noise since i bought this car 3 years ago.Subsequently I have replaced just about every front end part.The other day i started getting a popping sound when turning and especially when i turn the wheel back and forth while parked.Could this be the tie rods? car has a tick under 47000 miles on it.It has Tokicos and is lowered about an inch.Ive already ordered MOOG inner and outer rod ends in anticipation if this next project.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yup, could be. Mine went out about 30K. I also had a clunk in the A arm passenger side which went away when I put BMR A arms on the car. It only clunked when backing out of the driveway going over the gutter with the wheel locked to one side.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys.I figured as much.After this i will have successfully changed every part on the frot end.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
Well the ball joints are new. I installed the gt500 lca's not too long ago
Already ordered the Moog pieces.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
Are you feeling anything in the steering, or just hearing the noise? You can do the "grab the tire and try to wiggle it" test, as well. There should be no discernible movement.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
havent wiggled tire yet.there is a noticeable "knock/creek" when turning that i can feel.if im parked and turn wheel back and forth i hear a knocking sound.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
everything in front end has been replaced in last few years except the sway bar.I even had that off for a while and replaced with BMR rad support.That was when i was trying to get rid of front end clunk.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
Ive since put it back on when i did new shocks and struts.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Jack the car, grab the wheel 9 and 3 o'clock and try to wiggle the tire. If there is a significant amount movement it's the tie ends. Also check the steering rack bolts to make sure they are tight. Check from the top, the bottom nuts are welded to the frame. Long shot but it can happen.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Don't overlook the strut mounts, even thought they've been replaced. It's real easy to damage them during install, so new ones can pop and clunk too.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Don't overlook the strut mounts, even thought they've been replaced. It's real easy to damage them during install, so new ones can pop and clunk too.

Good point, especially if you didn't go with the -c version.

bigmd

forum member
Reaction score
yes did the most updated mounts a few years ago.that did not totally solve that problem.this noise is definately coming from steering somwhere.i have the parts ,just a matter of waiting till the cold weather breaks.

Back