Timing tables

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the ECU is not controlling the distributor at all. If I change the value in the table where it's idling, there is no change where the indicator is on the balancer.

I swapped over the SPOUT and PIP wires to where they specified in the instructions. I don't think the car would even run if either of these weren't hooked up properly. Could this be a symptom of a bad PIP sensor or TFI module? I don't think it is, but it's worth asking.

I do know when TFIs go bad, the symptoms are they mostly quit working when they get hot.

Still leaning towards something not set correctly in the software.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Going from memory here.
Tfi module did two things. Adjust timing as directed by pcm, and turn the ignition coil on/off to fire the plugs. This part is what used to fail, and have a no spark condition.
Removing the spout, disables pcm timing control so you can set base timing.
I only ever worked with/tuned the a9p. (Auto version of a9l)

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
correct, spout removed disables ecu timing tables and the TFI controls the spark output of the ignition. Timing practices and setup are the exact same, hardware wise, between the A9L and A9P. The coil, distributor, etc would all of been the same.
Since I am running a Haltech stand alone now, it's slightly different, but all of the ignition wires are used and wired into this ECU. There's only 22 wires that go to the ECU, and 8 of them are injectors. That's half the wiring in the EEC-IV plug.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I think I might it figured it out, my timing marks weren't correct and I think the distributor the phasing was off, still working on it though.

The only good thing that's come from all of this is I've found some other small issues that need to be corrected, and I might of found another.

This is a professional products 900006 balancer. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do this, anyone confirm?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's no good. That explains the erratic timing above idle.
If it has fluid of any kind running through it, it rotates, or moves, I will not use something made by Professional Products or any other offshore brand.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Motor was built 18 years ago, before I knew what I know now.

I definitely won't be buying another one of these.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
so if this mid to upper range priced balancer is junk, then what's considered good now? I've read some bad stuff about the mounting style on the Summit brand. What about Dayco or PRW, Scott Drake (looks like an oem ford part # on this one, C5AZ-6316-B)

I'm not spending the money on a fluidampr or an ATI performance balancer. It's just a street car, doesn't see the track and is NA.

What's the difference between an OEM replacement, street performance and race performance? I'm guessing the rpm limit changes?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I am running the Fluidamper, and it is the only non oem damper I would run.
If price is a concern, run a stock damper. I suspect you are correct on the RPM limits. Some of those dampers you mentioned may carry SFI cert for racing.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try and find a powerbond balancer, they are an Australian company (I don't consider the Aussies in the same way as the China made crap) and their quality has been consistent. I used their SFI damper on my 393W in my 82 GT. They made the balacer for the Roush Underdrive pulleys for 05-10 cars as well.

EDIT: Summit Link-assuming yours is the 50 oz imbalance
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pbb-pb1084ss

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Try and find a powerbond balancer, they are an Australian company (I don't consider the Aussies in the same way as the China made crap) and their quality has been consistent. I used their SFI damper on my 393W in my 82 GT. They made the balacer for the Roush Underdrive pulleys for 05-10 cars as well.

EDIT: Summit Link-assuming yours is the 50 oz imbalance
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pbb-pb1084ss

Out of all my research I've done online, Powerbond is the name that keeps appearing. They have quite the reputation.
Mine's actually a 3 bolt, 28oz balancer. The 331 crank uses the 28oz early style 289 setup.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
incorrect setting for the ignition trigger was the culprit. Would of found it earlier, but my tuner/friend just lost his father around Christmas time and I wasn't going to bother him over this.
It did allow me to find a bunch of other small issues with the car that needed to be addressed.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it straightened out and didn't throw any parts at it that you wouldn't have needed.

Cheers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back