Too much traction for stock

Lcfrshadow

forum member
Reaction score
2010 GT Premium everything
stockenginee
Track pack for the brakes, rotors and differential gears(3.73's)
Whiteline Panhard bar
Whiteline rear lower control arms
Eibach lowering springs
SR performance shocks and struts
20x8.5 with 255's in the front unknown brand tire
20x10 with 305/35r20 BFG Comp2 in the rear

I can't do a standstill. I can barely swing the car. Yes traction control is off. I end up burning a lot of clutch. Could I have too much traction for a stock mustang gt.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess, if your intention is to not have traction.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If you're trying to do burnouts, it'll be more difficult now that you've improved traction. A supercharger kit producing an extra 150+hp will soon solve that, and your left foot is supposed to be completely OFF the clutch pedal when doing burnouts. Otherwise this will be the result:

Lcfrshadow

forum member
Reaction score
If you're trying to do burnouts, it'll be more difficult now that you've improved traction. A supercharger kit producing an extra 150+hp will soon solve that, and your left foot is supposed to be completely OFF the clutch pedal when doing burnouts. Otherwise this will be the result:

This video is basically what is happening. Except I'm not a dumbass and don't keep pushing it knowing I aint spinning tires. And yes, my foot is completely off clutch.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
In that case it seems that you'll need to upgrade the clutch assembly. Since you no longer have slippage further down the drivetrain, you're generating clutch slippage instead.
Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing I’m thinking.
And to add to both of these quotes suggest to get a performance-oriented clutch package w\ increased clamping force vs OEM to counter the extra force needed to turn that larger diameter wheel\tire package w\o any thought of potential slippage.....

Doesn't have to be a twin disc setup but it does need to provide higher clamping force IMHO over an OEM clutch setup.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Not the same case but this just remined me of a car buddy of mine that threw a set of ET Streets on his car for the street/strip, but then complained he couldn't do a decent burnout anymore.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Once you start doing clutch burnouts, you need to replace the clutch kit, and consider a new flywheel since it's probably gonna have all kinds of heat damage

IMG_20200520_124102034.jpg

Lcfrshadow

forum member
Reaction score
Any recommendations? I have a 2.6 kenne bell I am putting on in a couple of months.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran an Exedy Mach 500 with my turbo and stock short block. It could hold the power no problems. The pedal was a bit stiffer but driveability was very good. This is one of the better single disc clutches for these cars.
The McLeod RXT would be the next suggestion. It is a fair bit more money but has all the holding capacity you need. If you have a habit of doing burnouts, don't get the McLeod RST, it can't take much heat. I made the mistake of running the RST and now I am having to put in an RXT.

If you have baller or dealer money, look at the Mantic clutches-all top notch components. They even come in a suitase that you can re-purpose by filling with cash or drugs if the need arises. Kidding aside, they will be the ultimate in streetability and power handling but the cost is very high.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Not the same case but this just remined me of a car buddy of mine that threw a set of ET Streets on his car for the street/strip, but then complained he couldn't do a decent burnout anymore.

That's like putting tinted headlights in and complaining that you can't see at night. Isn't that the purpose of going to a stickier tire?

Lcfrshadow

forum member
Reaction score
That's like putting tinted headlights in and complaining that you can't see at night. Isn't that the purpose of going to a stickier tire?

Yeah... I guess I can get behind this. I just never would have thought traction would improve this much. Im more on the fence that something might be wrong with the car.
Oh well. Gotta redirect funds from the sc install to a clutch.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW you can always do a simple free test to see if your clutch is going out/slipping. Go find a road you can cruise in 4th uninterrupted without traffic or stop lights. 4th gear is 1:1. Gradually brake and step on the gas at the same time. Don't touch the clutch pedal. If RPM's rise while speed decreases your clutch is slipping and needs replacement. Don't over do it on the brake and gas at the same time or you might wind up like the vette owner in the video above. It only takes a couple seconds to perform this test.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Or just get up to highway speed, say anything over 50-55 mph, make sure you're in 5th or 6th, and give it gas.
As above, if the RPMs rise but the speed doesn't change, you have a slipping clutch.
Never heard of using the brakes during this test

Reaction score
If you're going to throw much more power at it you'd probably need a clutch upgrade anyways.

I have an RXT that I had on the car with my 2.8 KB, it worked great. I'm in the midst of a T-56 swap and am changing clutches, shoot me a PM if you're interested in the RXT.

Olerodder

Reaction score
2010 GT Premium everything
stockenginee
Track pack for the brakes, rotors and differential gears(3.73's)
Whiteline Panhard bar
Whiteline rear lower control arms
Eibach lowering springs
SR performance shocks and struts
20x8.5 with 255's in the front unknown brand tire
20x10 with 305/35r20 BFG Comp2 in the rear

Personally I think you've got too much tire for a stock GT, just like others have said. I've got a 19 PP1/A10, and even with the new 285/40/19's Pilots, I ran an 11.93 @ 117, bone stock, and yes I had some wheel spin, although coming off the line is totally different than with a stick...part of the reason I chose the A10 over the M82.
Did you take it to the strip with the stock tires?
I really don't think you need big huge sticky tires until you can run in the mid to low 11's...just my own opinion...plus I've got an A10 which will be more repeatable on the strip..IMHO

I can't do a standstill. I can barely swing the car. Yes traction control is off. I end up burning a lot of clutch. Could I have too much traction for a stock mustang gt.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back