TR3650 difficulty getting into 1st 2nd 4th and reverse

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been meaning to flush my brakes but my hand pump broke and I can never get anyone to help me lol. I never thought about fluid condition but it makes sense. Ive heat cycled the brakes on a few occasions and noticed the braking isnt like it used to be so I know the fluid isnt in the best of shape. Ill get it done asap. I just started a new job and still work part time at my old one so I have no time to tinker with any of my cars right now.

I would like to try the blowfish racing bracket if the cheaper things dont work. Its cheaper than a transmission and takes away the body mount, hopefully it will do something for me.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have the most modest exedy clutch, exedy slave shimmed 3/8", braided line, 2013 gt500 master. I took the trans apart and replaced the blocker rings.

WHAT A SYSTEM!

46addict

Reaction score
Ive been meaning to flush my brakes but my hand pump broke and I can never get anyone to help me lol. I never thought about fluid condition but it makes sense. Ive heat cycled the brakes on a few occasions and noticed the braking isnt like it used to be so I know the fluid isnt in the best of shape. Ill get it done asap. I just started a new job and still work part time at my old one so I have no time to tinker with any of my cars right now.

I would like to try the blowfish racing bracket if the cheaper things dont work. Its cheaper than a transmission and takes away the body mount, hopefully it will do something for me.
I just flushed the brakes on mine and it didn't make a difference in shifting. On a sidenote, get you an air compressor and a pneumatic brake bleeder. Does not need to be fancy, as it's just a hose, bottle, and a trigger attached to an air fitting. This makes brake bleeding much easier and faster. No need to pump the brake pedal with this setup. The only problem is, the bleeder hose will draw in some air from around the bleeder valve, so you will see "false" air bubbles go through the hose. So the only way to see if the brake line is fully bled is when you start seeing clean fluid coming out from the master cylinder.

Back on topic. I have a different car and transmission since I've started this thread. It's a built 3650 from an unknown source and I assumed the trans whine is from the fact that it's built. I am getting a low frequency knock/rattle (like rod knock) coming from the trans when idling or moving at parking lot speeds. It only happens with the clutch out, and when I clutch in the rattle slows to a stop. The noise is not dependent of rpm or speed, it does its own thing and sounds almost like something floating in the trans. Any idea what this could be? Input shaft bearing going bad or TOB? If I keep driving it like this, will I end up scattering parts into pieces?

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
There are too many variables or moving parts inside the 3650 to pinpoint what the noise is without tearing down the transmission. It might not even be the internals, it could even be a bad pilot bearing or just a noisy clutch. First thing I would do is drain the fluid into a clean pan and see what comes out. The drain plug is magnetized to catch some gunk but there is a larger stronger magnet inside next to the drain hole. I can't remember for sure but I think you can reach your finger in there to touch it and see how much gunk or metal shavings are stuck to it.

You said your transmission might be built. If you have a 26 spline input shaft your transmission is built. If it has the stock 10 spline it probably isn't built. I say this because beyond upgrading the input shaft there isn't really much you can do to strengthen the 3650. You can put double rolled pins to hold the shift forks and brass pads on those forks but those upgrades only cost a few bucks. All of the upgrades to strengthen the original 2001-2004 3650 were done at the factory and implemented for the 2005-2010 3650. If you do end up dropping and inspecting the trans look at the number of splines on your input shaft. Also, if you can wiggle your input shaft even just a little bit, that is the source of your gear whine and excess noise. Your transmission is loose and out of spec. The gear whine will get louder and eventually your bearings will fail.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Thanks. I drained the fluid to put some fresh Mercon V in there and what came out was some dirty, dark red fluid. I saw no shavings in the fluid or on the magnet.

I did some searching and tracked down the previous owner of the car. I confirmed it's a stock 3650. It's supposed to be making nearly 600whp with an aftermarket clutch and I have drag radials on which is a death sentence for a 3650. I'm going to stop racing it until I can order a Pro-motion unit.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
That reminds me I need to get a new bleeder, mine broke.

To me it sounds clutch related but I couldnt say for fact without hearing it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back