TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I know that the T56 Mag is better. The mag uses a little bit bigger bearing but the shafts are the same size. If you took a 6060 and upgraded the sync-o's and replaced the plastic shift forks inserts with the brass. you could have a great trans for alot less. Both are rated to 700 ft lbs. I did it with my 6060, my complete conversion only cost $1790.00. The only thing i want to do now is MGW shifter and Quick time BH. If i had an 8oo RWHP car i would want to wait for the T56, but i don't. BTW I have had them apart and compared them. The Dodge version of the 6060,s main case uses the larger bearings, If i were to do another swap i would start with the 2010 Dodge Challenger trans, you need to replace the input shaft with the shorter Ford T56, it all ready has mid-plate, you just need to fab a rear mount. It all so had two shifter mounts.

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
S197 Magnum

I just got off the phone with Bruce Couture of Modern Driveline, Inc.

Link:
http://www.moderndriveline.com/

He said he's been pushing Tremec for more information, such as the release date, pricing, and what's included with the trans as shipped from Tremec.

He said that it looks like 'sometime in September' for release.
The hold-up seems to be sourcing the tailshaft housings from the foundry.

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
Rick, if it's true (and I think so) that the E-Force needs to come off so that the motor can tilt enough so the trans can be removed, I would prefer that Brenspeed do the work.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Drive shaft needs to be changed as well they are using a spline type I believe. This thing has been so long in the making it is hard to think of it as a reality.

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
Yeah, and the clutch disc will need to be changed as well, for the 26-spline input shaft.

The good thing, is that the delay is for parts procurement, not because of technical problems.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Bruce Couture of Modern Driveline, Inc.

Link:
http://www.moderndriveline.com/

He said he's been pushing Tremec for more information, such as the release date, pricing, and what's included with the trans as shipped from Tremec.

He said that it looks like 'sometime in September' for release.
The hold-up seems to be sourcing the tailshaft housings from the foundry.

Subscribed .......

tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and the clutch disc will need to be changed as well, for the 26-spline input shaft.

The good thing, is that the delay is for parts procurement, not because of technical problems.

Agreed !!!

tigerhonaker

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
But with the 6060 you still have the remote shifter, issue(problem). What ever you want to refer to it as. Thats what makes the T56 so appealing. Agreed price is way up there!

gil_t2

Reaction score
But with the 6060 you still have the remote shifter, issue(problem). What ever you want to refer to it as. Thats what makes the T56 so appealing. Agreed price is way up there![/QUOTE

I don't think the remote shifter is really that much of a problem on the 6060, if you use the MGW, Shelby, or even the GT500 KR shifter. But the 3650 is real bad with only 1 mounting arm. It lends itself to twisting. I have second thoughts about the very long shift rail that will be in new trans. The detent looks to be in the same place it is now in the 6060. It is a long way back to the shifter mount on the extended tail shaft. I see a lot of broken drift pins.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 I really like the dual mounting arms on the gt500 shifter. Much better design.

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
" But the 3650 is real bad "
agree with that, i hate the shift of my 3650. I need to drive a 6060, so i can see the difference. Glad Jeremy agreed to let me rip through the gears on his once its straight lol

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
Wonder if the trans mount and crossmember is the same as the 3650? My driveshaft loop mounts to the crossmember.

gil_t2

Reaction score
Wonder if the trans mount and crossmember is the same as the 3650? My driveshaft loop mounts to the crossmember.

If you are asking about the 6060, the trans mount is the same but the cross member is different, the loop will still work.

BTW, has the S-197 t-56 been released yet????

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know looking at that picture its still a remote shifter.... its just internal to that part of the trans that is stretched back, as opposed to an external linkage.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back