TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
The T56 shifts better at any RPM and in any gear than the 3650 ever did. Night and day, shifts like hot knife in butter compared to a crow bar in a box of rusty chains.

I do not know why you are bring up the 3650, We all know it is inferior. And this thread is mostly about the T-56 LX, compared to the TR6060, as some of us got tired of waiting for the LX to come out, and bought 6060's

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its not really a binding issue I get. With my 3650 after a while it began grinding during speed shifting but will still go into gear.....that is until I completely destroyed it. The tr6060 will grind but no matter how hard I pull on the shifter it will not go into gear. Only does it into 2nd and mainly 4th..... which i find a bit odd. I believe it is because of the big tooth count on the scyros. The 3650's couldnt hold nearly as much power but scyro teeth are much more spaced out as I am hoping the T56 for are cars are also. I have drove an 04 cobra which obviously has a t56 and have done probably 25 wot passes in that car with out a single grind or missed gear.

I do not know why you are bring up the 3650, We all know it is inferior. And this thread is mostly about the T-56 LX, compared to the TR6060, as some of us got tired of waiting for the LX to come out, and bought 6060's

Really? You don't see ANY relevance talking about manual transmission that over 99% of all manual S197 owners have, in a S197 manual transmission thread? Really?

And rzaenglein specifically mentioned the 3650 after he asked the question about the shifting the T-56, and I was replying to his question. Also, the 3650 is mentioned in 60 posts in this thread, and since there are still many, many more 3650 owners on S197forums over TR6060 conversion owners, I think the discussion of the 3650 is one that more forum members can relate to.

I don't know why you're giving me shit about bringing it up. It's not like I started talking about an alternator or the Shaker 500. I mean, it was mentioned 58 times before I made my post, so go back and give all those people shit to. What are you, T56 thread police? And it's XL, not LX.

gil_t2

Reaction score
Not giving you shit. But thread was started to discuss the XL, and difference between the 6060. Most of the references to the 3650 were about conversion, and guys that were tired of waiting on the T56, talked about aftermarket upgrades to the 3650, and if it were worth it. With the XL now on the market, it would be nice to hear from those that bought it. Did the new shifter mount fix the problems? We all know the limits of the 3650, we know it does not shift well. BTW rzaenglein has a 6060 in his car, he was just making a statment about his old 3650.

Last edited:

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
I've driven all three and shifted them all hard at high rpms. IMO the T56 is the winner with ease of shift . The direct shift makes all the difference, no brainier I know. The abuse the magnum can take is an extra bonus.

gil_t2

Reaction score
I've driven all three and shifted them all hard at high rpms. IMO the T56 is the winner with ease of shift . The direct shift makes all the difference, no brainier I know. The abuse the magnum can take is an extra bonus.

Thank you.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
who has the best deal on the package [trans,bell housing, drive shaft,etc] for the T-56?

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
Exedy Mach 500 with the Exedy lightweight steel flywheel.

Used to have a Mach 600 but my leg got sore. It was a PITA idling around the mall parking lot Mustang Week @ Myrtle Beach looking for a parking spot.

The 500 is still heavier than stock, but is MUCH more controllable.

who has the best deal on the package [trans,bell housing, drive shaft,etc] for the T-56?
Rick, which gear ratio are you thinking about?

Last edited:

big_grin

Reaction score
Are you people really going to drop $5000+ on a new transmission in a car worth $15-25K in most cases?

More power to you, but geez!

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Many of these cars have 20k in the engine and SC systems. The resale of the car is immaterial.

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly, I have more cash in my motor and s/c than some paid for there cars. If you are worried about dropping 5k in your car, you better go get a prius.
This is our hobby. Hell, I am gonna drop more coin on my 4r70w tranny plus supporting mods.

It's not the money, it is our desire to make our cars our own.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you people really going to drop $5000+ on a new transmission in a car worth $15-25K in most cases?

More power to you, but geez!

Actually, when you buy the JPC package deal, you're only paying about $2900 for the T56 after you count the cost of the shifter, cross brace, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, SFI bell housing, etc. So this mod makes sense for somebody who has a stock 3650, clutch, and flywheel and wants to upgrade all at once.

I hope your future posts are more constructive, if not, you would fit in better here:

Mustang Site For Trolls

This is Tech, don't fuck it up.

Last edited:

big_grin

Reaction score
Sorry if that came across snotty. Just seems like that JPC kit is pricey. I selected just a couple of reasonable options on their page (little better clutch/flywheel) and was at almost $5K plus $250 shipping. Just seems like a lot for a tranny.

Reading back, I could have said that better. My apologies.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Sorry if that came across snotty. Just seems like that JPC kit is pricey. I selected just a couple of reasonable options on their page (little better clutch/flywheel) and was at almost $5K plus $250 shipping. Just seems like a lot for a tranny.

Reading back, I could have said that better. My apologies.

When you want to go fast everything is expensive. We got over it a long time ago.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back