TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

big_grin

Reaction score
Spent a little more time reading over the mods and times in you guys sigs.

I get it now.

Again, sorry for bad choice of words.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I've driven all three and shifted them all hard at high rpms. IMO the T56 is the winner with ease of shift . The direct shift makes all the difference, no brainier I know. The abuse the magnum can take is an extra bonus.

So you haven't noticed any 2-3 shift issues with the XL like the 6060's are having?

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So you haven't noticed any 2-3 shift issues with the XL like the 6060's are having?

No, the 2-3 shift is like any other shift. With the integrated shifter, the shifter doesn't bind under torque.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
No, the 2-3 shift is like any other shift. With the integrated shifter, the lockout has been eliminated.

Lockout? I've never felt a lockout on a 3650 or 6060? I was under the impression it was the remote shifter binding under torque.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Lockout? I've never felt a lockout on a 3650 or 6060? I was under the impression it was the remote shifter binding under torque.
I think what he's talking about is the reverse lockout wiring. It definitely impacts how shifting happens. I have my TR6060 wired to my brake light. I can get into reverse easier now, but if I brake and try to shift, its harder to get into gear. I need to make sure my foot is completely off the brake pedal every time I shift. The actual GT500 is wired into the PCM, if I'm not mistaken.

Still not sure how the T56 would be any different. I assumed it had the same reverse lockout harness that you need to hook up (usually to the brake).

The direct-mount shifter is/should be what makes the biggest impact in the 2nd-to-3rd shift, though....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It is the shifter binding under torque, but it feels like you are getting locked out of 3rd when you try to shift into it. I call it getting locked out of third, some call it a missed shift, shift issues, blocked shift, hard shift, etc. Sorry for the confusion. Like trying to shift in reverse without hitting the brake with the reverse lockout.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I think what he's talking about is the reverse lockout wiring. It definitely impacts how shifting happens. I have my TR6060 wired to my brake light. I can get into reverse easier now, but if I brake and try to shift, its harder to get into gear. I need to make sure my foot is completely off the brake pedal every time I shift. The actual GT500 is wired into the PCM, if I'm not mistaken.

Still not sure how the T56 would be any different. I assumed it had the same reverse lockout harness that you need to hook up (usually to the brake).

The direct-mount shifter is/should be what makes the biggest impact in the 2nd-to-3rd shift, though....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I didn't hook my reverse lockout up so I've never felt that.

DRock

Reaction score
Sorry if that came across snotty. Just seems like that JPC kit is pricey. I selected just a couple of reasonable options on their page (little better clutch/flywheel) and was at almost $5K plus $250 shipping. Just seems like a lot for a tranny.

Reading back, I could have said that better. My apologies.

I like the old saying I was told...

"Speed costs. How fast ya wanna go?"

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
It is the shifter binding under torque, but it feels like you are getting locked out of 3rd when you try to shift into it. I call it getting locked out of third, some call it a missed shift, shift issues, blocked shift, hard shift, etc. Sorry for the confusion. Like trying to shift in reverse without hitting the brake with the reverse lockout.

Gotcha:thumb2:

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
When you want to go fast everything is expensive. We got over it a long time ago.

agreed, you gotta pay to play. My car isnt going anywhere, Im assembling the forged shortblk for it now. So its all in what you want out of your car.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullitt boy
who has the best deal on the package [trans,bell housing, drive shaft,etc] for the T-56?
Rick, which gear ratio are you thinking about?

which set up will give me the best "seat of the pants" throw back in the seat feeling in the low range. Vortech doesn't kick in til higher RPMs I want the gear set up that will allow me to shred tire at will. I have 3:73 gears.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this package: 2.97 Ratio ,RST clutch, lightened steel fly wheel,billet yoke on the drive shaft, upgraded line kit. Shipping to the installer saved me some $$$. Thanks for the help and the great deal Tommy / JPC.

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this package: 2.97 Ratio ,RST clutch, lightened steel fly wheel,billet yoke on the drive shaft, upgraded line kit. Shipping to the installer saved me some $$$. Thanks for the help and the great deal Tommy / JPC.

Congrats!!!!
:popcorneat::highfive:

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
Congrats bullit boy, you won't be disappointed.

Greg, I got the complete Brenspeed b302 rotating assembly to go along with the spare blk I bought a year ago. already talk to Mike who pointed me to his machine shop. Just gotta save up some coin.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Rick,

That is going to be a sweet set-up for sure. :beerchug2:

Terry

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Not point and shoot like yours Terry, but I enjoy rowing the gears and it is not anything but a street sweeper these days. LOL.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not point and shoot like yours Terry, but I enjoy rowing the gears and it is not anything but a street sweeper these days. LOL.
Rick,

I like you agree that for messing around a manual tranny is the way to go.
A lot of FUN !!!

I think you will really enjoy this new set-up for sure.

Terry

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back