Triple Disk Converter - HARD Lockup?

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
Hope so - I'm pretty excited to get back to the track. Planning on going Friday. I know the car FEELS a lot faster, but that can be deceiving sometimes.
keep us posted I think u will be pleasantly surprised :clap:

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a PI triple disc, 3200 stall, and yes, part throttle it locks really hard. Smoother at the track, but it seems to stutter a bit when it locks, which it doesn't seem like it's doing until I hit fourth.

I want to hear more about this tune that locks and stays locked at WOT. Where can I get such a tune?

I have a Bama tune, been using them since Bama was Doug. When I first got the converter, American Muscle told me it didn't need to be tuned. I just recently added a Ford Racing intake and TB, and when I called them to get a tune for that, I asked again about the converter. So they said they would adapt my tune. I don't know what they did, but it seems to stutter a bit when it locks on the street sometimes now, too.

I'm waiting to get it tuned locally until after I get my cams in, but if I can get a good mail-order tune for the converter in the meantime, I'd definitely be interested.

oh5gt

Reaction score
Alloy,
I have a PI 3200 triple too. Bama (AM version) tuned mine to lock at WOT in 2nd and beyond no problem. A past version of their tune I had lock up at WOT in fourth.
I feel it lock about 0.1 sec after the first-second shift. I would love for it to happen at the exact shift point, but this may not be possible.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Where can I get such a tune?

I wrote mine myself with SCT Advantage III. The TC lockup settings are applied mainly in the shift/lock schedule tables, with a few scalars that need changed as well (ie, time to delay before lockup after shift, etc). All you really need to do is command the TC to lock at values higher then whatever relative throttle position your car sees at WOT in the shift/lock tables and above whatever speed your upshift occurs at, while making sure no modifiers are in place that would delay the lock.

It sounds harder then it is.

Any decent tuner could write you a similar tune.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I feel it lock about 0.1 sec after the first-second shift. I would love for it to happen at the exact shift point, but this may not be possible.

I don't think it is. My tune has '0' as the delay value for lockup at WOT in 2nd gear after the shift, so theoretically it should lock immediately with the shift. It still locks just a little bit after.

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alloy,
I have a PI 3200 triple too. Bama (AM version) tuned mine to lock at WOT in 2nd and beyond no problem. A past version of their tune I had lock up at WOT in fourth.

I wrote mine myself with SCT Advantage III. The TC lockup settings are applied mainly in the shift/lock schedule tables, with a few scalars that need changed as well (ie, time to delay before lockup after shift, etc). All you really need to do is command the TC to lock at values higher then whatever relative throttle position your car sees at WOT in the shift/lock tables and above whatever speed your upshift occurs at, while making sure no modifiers are in place that would delay the lock.

It sounds harder then it is.

Any decent tuner could write you a similar tune.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll try to get AM to do that for me. The track here is only open for a couple of more weeks. Barring that, I'll have my local guy make Swarzkopf's recommended changes after I get the cams in.

Please do be sure to update us how the car does Friday!

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll try to get AM to do that for me. The track here is only open for a couple of more weeks. Barring that, I'll have my local guy make Swarzkopf's recommended changes after I get the cams in.

Please do be sure to update us how the car does Friday!

Lito tuned my setup and it was MUCH better with a couple revisions. easy to setup if you have a laptop and sct handheld.. If you go a bit further and have a wideband and firewire cable you can get yourself a sweet tune..

Either way good luck to you an it can be adjusted quite easily

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
Would locking the stall at the start of 2nd gear wear parts quicker. My Stang is a street/strip car.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it would wear parts any faster, if anything it'd probably help clutches last longer as the converter generates more heat when it's unlocked.

If you have the stock input shaft I'd probably be afraid of breaking it at full lock up in 2nd, though.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Pretty sure my lund tune has it locking in 2, 3 and 4 at WOT.

semi off topic - did you get the street fighter 5R or the SUPER street fighter? Mine is on the way out the door (OD light flashes and it wont shift 1-2 until 5-6k rpm), but i am starting to not want a crazy race tranny.

I may be able to actually get out to TnT Friday night if i get out of work early enough.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the regular 'Street Fighter', but I added the parts that make it a 'Super Street Fighter' on my own (billet servos, hardened input shaft) as I got great deals on them from this forum. Knock on wood, so far it feels great.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
why do you think that my convertor will only lock up in 4th gear at around 70mph +...... tune is set up to lock up around 40 mph and wont lock up

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
why do you think that my convertor will only lock up in 4th gear at around 70mph +...... tune is set up to lock up around 40 mph and wont lock up
I dare say its tune related....

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
My tune even if it's tuned to lock up around 40moh and won't until like 70+

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
There are quite a few scalars and tables that determine where the converter locks and unlocks. Who wrote your tune? They missed something.

This link deals with 4R70W tuning, but the tables/scalars are pretty much the same for the 5R55S (except we have a 5th gear lock/unlock schedule) - might be useful to show your tuner:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73276

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So did you get to the track Friday? How did the car do with the new tune? I have a new tune from AM, buy haven't loaded it yet. Probably won't be able to make it to the track for a couple of weeks.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't make it out - it was warmer then I expected and DA wasn't great. I'm only going to head out if the DA is going to be great - I figure why risk the bottom end and being down for the rest of the season if I'm not going to get some great air to run in.

Back