Triple Disk Converter - HARD Lockup?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
So I recently installed a PI triple disk 3200 RPM stall lockup style torque converter (along with a TCI 'Street Fighter' 5R55S and TCI hardened input shaft).

Transmission shifts well, converter stalls correctly, basically everything feels great except when the converter locks in 4th or 5th, it locks HARD - the first time it happened, I thought something broke, it locked so hard. The whole car kind of 'jumps' for second, then it settles down and is fine. This is repeatable - it behaves the same way each time the converter locks.

It unlocks normally.

I haven't locked it at wide open throttle yet - it's only locking at light throttle and cruise in 4th and 5th gear.

A quick Google search seems to indicate that harsh lockup is common with multi disk converters. Anyone here experience the same issue with a triple disk converter with a 5R55S? With it locking this hard, I'm afraid to lock it at WOT - should I be, or will it be OK?

Any feedback appreciated as always.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
I only have a single disk in mine but have read from others here that lockup on the PI triple disk is harsh.

There my be some settings in the tune that can be changed, but I'm not 100% on that.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
There are slip rate tables - I have them zero'd out right now. Maybe I should let it slip a bit? Dunno.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The PI converter on the 5r used to do it mildly, never harsh and abrupt.

Now on my 4r with a circle D tripple disc it really is harsh like that, too. I know what you mean, I was like, Oh crap, what happened! When it locks, it makes my belt chirp.

Seems to be worse under heaver load and more throttle.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
normal....my circle d locks up firmly as stated

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
You guys think it's safe to lock it at WOT? It honestly locks so hard at mild throttle that I'm afraid WOT lockup will break something (like, the input shaft again).

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You guys think it's safe to lock it at WOT? It honestly locks so hard at mild throttle that I'm afraid WOT lockup will break something (like, the input shaft again).
My experience with the PI and the 5r55s was that it was only harsh under part throttle, WOT was fine.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
My Circle D triple disc locks firmly and has been doing so now for the last couple of years.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
My experience with the PI and the 5r55s was that it was only harsh under part throttle, WOT was fine.

Good information...I was wondering if it's like that.

I'm heading to the track in two weeks. I'm going to run a non-lockup tune first and see how it does. If I'm close to where I want to be on the non-lockup tune I'll call it quits. If it's too slow, I'll cross my fingers and try my lockup tune.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
Good information...I was wondering if it's like that.

I'm heading to the track in two weeks. I'm going to run a non-lockup tune first and see how it does. If I'm close to where I want to be on the non-lockup tune I'll call it quits. If it's too slow, I'll cross my fingers and try my lockup tune.
With my circle d , harsh lock up is only p/t......mine locks up wot from 2nd gear on and its not harsh when it does

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Mine jerks pretty harsh at part throttle too. At the track WOT is smooth.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score

Exact same thing my PI did. I ran the tripple disc at 3000 stall. wot smooth as butter, part throttle and people thought something was wrong with it lol. Multi-disc converters do that.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to try my lockup tune on the street in a little bit. Let's see how it does. :D

pibirdman

forum member
Reaction score
My Circle D does that too. They told me it could be changed within the tune. Haven't tried it yet. Just used to the hard shift and belt chirp now.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
You guys without multi disk converters - are you locking them at WOT from 2nd on, or 3rd on?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Just got back from wailing on it a bit with a tune that locks at WOT immediately after the 1-2 shift and stays locked throughout a pass.

God. Damn. What a difference.

I know I sound like a ricer a bit, but holy shit does the car feel faster with the converter locked at the bottom of second. I could feel it shift, then immediately lock up - it kind of felt like a tiny shot or something.

Yeah, I know I sound dumb and there are cars on this site that are *actually* fast, but to me the car feels great right now.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
on my car it is tuned to lock the converter WOT as soon as the 1-2 shift happens and its locked 2,3 and 4th gears......u are right it pulls night and day with the converter locked!!!! I bet u will see awesome gains at the track....esp mph

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Hope so - I'm pretty excited to get back to the track. Planning on going Friday. I know the car FEELS a lot faster, but that can be deceiving sometimes.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back