Trouble shooting a no start again...

07 Boss

Reaction score
the alternator can test good but still be bad. I know they are expensive but get one for a 2010 for auto or manual, whichever applies.

I don't think his alternator is causing the no start issue. If it's cranking there should be enough juice in the battery for it to fire up.

bl817

Reaction score
very true. the other symptoms do point to a weak alt IMHO.

Lcperformance

Reaction score
Hey guys im looking for some insight as to possibly what's going on with my 2006 ford mustang gt.... I was having problems last month, but i thought i had fixed the problem but seems like i just prolonged the real issue here... So i was having no start before an i ended up changing out a few parts thinking i could fix the problem, anyways it was fouled spark plugs, but still had that miss in the lower rpms an had my check engine light checked an said it was my camshaft sensors, bank 1 an 2 so i replaced both an seemed to clear up my miss.. Well now my car is doing exactly what it was doing before but this time it died out on me randomly when i was driving down the road an seemed like it didnt wanna go past 4500 rpms, im thinking fouled plugs again but im not sure why they keep getting fouled out for... An last month the car was acting like its not getting fuel, spark.. Its trys to run for a few seconds then just dies out but something is different this time.. I seem to have white smoke coming from both ends of my exhaust everytime i try to start my car an it didn't do this last time... Aslo i have noticed that my car seems to be unusally louder than normal, more consumption in gas as well, an i checked my oil as well seemed clean but was about a quart in a half low... So i changed my oil as well.. So here's a list of new parts I've changed in the last 2 month's, new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, new crankshaft sensor, new camshaft sensors, an a new maf sensor an a new battery as well.... I was possibly thinking my head gaskets were bad but my oil was not milky an my car did not overheat nor is it low on antifreeze.. An my valve covers seem to be okay... Possibly thinking my fuel injectors are bad but im not exactly sure just looking for some insight an advice.. Car has 134xxxx miles an has bbk long tube headers bbk xpipe has comp cams stage 2 nsrs jlt series 3 cai an a custom dyno tune... Thanks in advance guys!!
I had a similar no start problem a couple months back where it died as you described then wants to start but only runs about 3 seconds. My problem was the intake boot to the throttle body had popped off. Try checking that and look for any leaks in the intake system

Reaction score
That sounds like you have a valve cover gasket leak. It may be so bad it is preventing the coil pack to fire the sparkplug.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yea but on cylinder 1,2,4 the coil pack rubber sleeve looked fine an there was no oil on The spark plug threads just the bottom on the electrodes.. Where it looked like it was comimg up from the bottom

Reaction score
Should i go ahead an replace the valve cover gaskets an clean up the spark plugs an see what happens

Reaction score
Also when i did pull the vavle cover i dont remember seeing any orings that just sit on top of the cylinder walls to keep oil from getting down in the spark plug holes

Reaction score
So there is no o rings that sit on top of the cylinders for the spark plugs under the valve cover

Reaction score
So anyregards as to what i should to next i feel like if i clean my plugs up it will only be a temporarily fix til they foul out again

Reaction score
I feel like im looking at bad piston rings, or possibly bad valve stem seals.. You guys think this would be causing oil to get on my spark plug electrodes?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
highly doubt it is rings or seals...HIGHLY doubt it...
you probably have a bad coil pack(s).
clean the plugs, mark the coil packs. Run the car. pull the plugs and see if you still have the oil. Then move the coil packs to another plug and see if the problem follows.

Reaction score
highly doubt it is rings or seals...HIGHLY doubt it...
you probably have a bad coil pack(s).
clean the plugs, mark the coil packs. Run the car. pull the plugs and see if you still have the oil. Then move the coil packs to another plug and see if the problem follows.
Well im pulling the rest of the spark plugs an coil packs an will update with pics

Reaction score
So here's pics of all 8 spark plugs an coil packs, aslo when i pulled spark plug number 8 the end of the electrode looks like its been smashed20191101_111440.jpg 20191101_111511.jpg 20191101_111440.jpg 20191101_111511.jpg 20191101_111540.jpg

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
You need to do a compression test asap. There is no reason that plug should have a smashed ground strap like that unless it was installed that way or there was/is a foreign object in the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Only thing i could think of was, that could have possibly done that was when i was staring it yesterday an was revving up the engine other wise it would die out if id just let it idle an it was missing real bad but never heard any knocking an i never took it past 3k rpms.. I just cleaned up the spark plugs an coil packs and im gonna see what happens...

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Jesus!
That is some serious damage.
You had to have gotten something into the motor. Looks like one of the others has damage too.
Need to compression test it and/or scope at least that one cylinder.

Reaction score
Jesus!
You had to have gotten something into the motor. Looks like one of the others has damage too.
Yea i was shocked when i pulled it out... Also i did replace 2 coil packs about 5 months ago pulled the plugs on the 2 fairly new ones an 2 of the older coil packs an they all have unburnt gas oil mixture on them... Referring to coil packs though i know of that atleast 4 have been changed since i got the car an still has the same factory 4 that came on the car... So could possibly all 8 have gone bad? Or most likely the 4 stock coil packs went bad? Or maybe my compression is so low it is causing it not to run but i know it seems like my coil packs are not firing either cause there shouldn't be an gas on my plugs...

Reaction score
Jesus!
An no it was just cylinder 8 spark plug that was damaged..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back