twin turbo?..

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what single should I run on my car? I want 700rwhp for the track...maybe more...

Dont need that much for the street

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
What's the rest of the setup?
What's the budget?

It's like selecting a cam or a converter, you need to know the details and make it all work at a package, there is no universal turbo that will work good on any car.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Beat me to it. Asking that question, Dex, is like asking, "What carb is best for my bracket car?" The correct answer is, "Depends."

You need to list the entire combination and what you plan on doing with the car including track time vs. street time and what fuel you plan to run.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Improperly sized turbochargers per the vehicle setup. There is absolutely nothing, from a pure physics perspective, that gives a twin turbo setup and advantage over a single turbo setup.

Ok...got sidetracked from the original argument. However.....two smaller turbochargers capable of the same power and flow as a given single turbocharger will always accelerate faster and provide a broader power and torque curve.
:thumb:

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
I don't like using "HP capability" or "maximum cfm" in terms of turbocharging. Compressor maps are much more important to me - it tells me what kind of displacement the turbo would be ideal on as well as where and what kind of power it could possibly make. Peak flow numbers, max boost, and max HP are irrelevant if you can use a slightly different compressor and make 50 more hp throughout the powerband under the curve.

Two twin turbochargers (assuming identical) of a proper compressor map based on vehicle's intended use, weight, converter, cam, and displacement will always produce nearly identical airflow at every rpm as a comparable single turbocharger selected based on the same criteria.

Fixed your sentence.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
8:8 298ci motor

91 octane
HP kit running 14lbs of boost with meth 582rwhp 580tq on a T76 .96 AR

I dont run on budgets

mean71cuda

Banned
Reaction score
well i do....

hahaha....

dang all this camotion over the question of what would be better for spool time...

al ll i originally wanted to know is what could get my 4.0L on boost at about 1000 to 1500rpms and get my back wheels at 300-350?..

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
well i do....

hahaha....

dang all this camotion over the question of what would be better for spool time...

al ll i originally wanted to know is what could get my 4.0L on boost at about 1000 to 1500rpms and get my back wheels at 300-350?..
The PH single kit will be at full boost by 2900 rpm stock compression. You want boost at 1500 rpms, get an Xcharger. Even a properly sized single or twin TC will not build that much boost at 1500 rpms. Good luck with the project.

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
I think he just means he wants to see boost at those rpm not full boost. Wow, a street car would suck with full boost at 1000rpm. LMAO

TexStang

Reaction score
u stay on the trackill stay on the streets...

I'm surprised no one caught that....:tdown: you kill people on the street, especially with your little drifting antics. I respect drifting (one of my friends was behind Bubba Drift 2 years ago drifting a el camino), so don't try to say I'm hating on drifting. That comment is what I'm hating on.

MilSpec197

forum member
Reaction score
umm. i didint realize the forum was so flame friendly. that being said, just let this shit die.

-go single turbo, its cheaper, and the best learning platform for someone new to the turbo world, and it still leaves you room for modification. i used to try and drift my turbo coupe, it was WAYYYY harder than it looks. but at the same time, drag racing is not as easy as you say it is either. it involves way more than just droping the hammer and going in a straight line.

SINGLE TURBO...and watchout for boost spike. you are not driving a car with forged internals, nor was the rest of your drive line built for that...after all, you are trying to take 4000lb car in a 20-30 degree turn with a factory suspension setup that was NEVER made for that. now if we had IRS like the terminators, then maybe...

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
whats boost spike?

MilSpec197

forum member
Reaction score
whats boost spike?

boost spike happens when you are rooting on the car, and you hit peak boost, then the PSI your turbo is putting out suddenly jumps to a much higher number briefly, say 5 to 10psi higher. it happens so quickly that your fuel system cant keep up, niether can timing. can casue you to lean out real harsh, detonate and worse case, blow head gaskets. thats how i blew the HG on my turbo coupe. boost spiked from 18 to 25psi, and before i had time to realize it, i was down on power...ended up with a compression leak between the HG in #2 @ #3 cylanders. could have been much worse had i not had an engine that had forged pistons and a steel crank from the factory...

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
boost spike is a non-issue with proper tuning, a good electronic boost controller, and an external wastegate.

MilSpec197

forum member
Reaction score
boost spike is a non-issue with proper tuning, a good electronic boost controller, and an external wastegate.

+1...but for someone who is trying to get a kit on a budget, they tend to get overzelous and think that if 5psi is safe, then another 5 wont hurt, and thats how we end up with guys on the board with dead engines. plus, if he uses this kit like he says he will, he will be at full boost for anywhere between 60-120seconds...HELL ON EARTH for an engine with a budget turbo kit

myeleanor

Resident Shrink
Reaction score
they gave you the name of a turbo kit, that fits your wants. but what i think you should really do, is go online and find a nice spooner engine for your car. or better yet, sell the stang and buy a turbo civic

DRIFTING IS FOR FAGS WHO DONT KNOW HOW TO REALLY RACE

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back