Upgrade or not from a 07 to 14

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Build what you got, sexiest mustang body ever.
This...I was never really a Mustang guy. When I first saw the 05 at a dealer(Legend Lime) I was really impressed. When I first saw the S197 Saleen; I knew I HAD to have one. The 05-09 Mustang re-ignited the muscle car. There would be no Challenger or Camaro without its success. IMO it will be a true icon in Mustang history. Keep your car. It is awesome.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I spend more time staring at this car than I ever did my '09, and aside from power, the interior, and everything else about the car seems leaps and bounds above what the 09 was.

That's like saying you spend more time looking at the neighbors wife than your own wife :rotflmao:

J/K

I personally think the 05-09 looks better on the outside but the 11+ looks better on the inside.

OP, I also vote that you keep what you got and build it. Normally I would vote to upgrade to the coyote but since you would have to build a motor either way then I say just build a 4.6 to handle the boost and have fun with a fast car and no car payment.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I dont have access to a 11+ car, if I had, I would get one but only for R&D tunes, I like my current car a lot, the EPAS made it a completely new experience, the 3Vyote I currently have pulls a little ahead of a bolt on '15 due to its trans gearing and gives a hard time to a blown stock long block 3V so yes, with the proper mods you can make that 3V rock.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
You have a point. Over the course of 5 years, I have slowly modded my car. I might as well just boost it at this point:Good or Bad:

I agree but that's why I'd rather own my 05 GT and build it as opposed to paying more depreciation on an 11 plus trying to buy mods again.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be perfectly satisfied with a 3V 302 stroker and a centri blower!

My lonngggg term plans would be to get custom leather seats when the OE eventually wear out. Maybe do the leather trimmed dash, and also have someone swap the green dash LEDs to red, white or blue. Eventually replace the brakes and my car will be like new!!!

POCOPOWER

forum member
Reaction score
One part says keep it and build and drive it and one part says sell it. Been debating on this for 2 months now. Like i said the 07 is paid off. But i do also have a bone stock 2010 3v car for the g/f. Another ideal was to take all my stuff off the 07 and swap it to the 10 car and sell the 07 as a bone stock car and use that money for a procharger build for a 13/14 car. Like i said been stuck for 2 months on what way to go. I was really wanting a 15' car but i just don't like the back ends on them so my original plan of selling the 07 went to shit to get a 15'.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to go SC but I know it's going to end up being 5k-6k. Not sure if I can stomach that for a car that is worth around $15k-$17k.

My lonngggg term plans would be to get custom leather seats when the OE eventually wear out. Maybe do the leather trimmed dash, and also have someone swap the green dash LEDs to red, white or blue. Eventually replace the brakes and my car will be like new!!!

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I love my Coyote. It's faster than my old car (by a lot tbh), has the newer interior, love the looks, etc etc etc.

Being brutally honest, I'm not sure I would do the trade again given the choice to go back in time. My red 3V was modded and drove the exact way I liked, it was literally showroom clean inside and out, and only had 54K miles when I got rid of it (bought it with 40K 2 years prior). I had a very small payoff on it and decided to use the equity on my 5.0 and trade it.

Idk, I look at it now and that car would've been paid off for a while now and I would've been able to built it, swap it, or simply left it alone and just bought my 5.0 at a later time.

Kind of an impulse purchase, I sell cars and the coyote came in on trade and it was a "have to have it" moment. Don't regret it, just not sure I would do it again.

FWIW at least. Just sharing.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
I went from a 07 procharger built shortblock making 540rwhp to a 2015 gt its nite and day difference, yes i am down on power but the car in everyway makes my 07 look and feel like a piece of trash.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I went from a 07 procharger built shortblock making 540rwhp to a 2015 gt its nite and day difference, yes i am down on power but the car in everyway makes my 07 look and feel like a piece of trash.

That's a 2015 tho.... OP is talking about a 2014. 2014 isn't as dramatic of a change as the 2015 IMO

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would like to go SC but I know it's going to end up being 5k-6k. Not sure if I can stomach that for a car that is worth around $15k-$17k.
What does it matter what the car is worth if you're not going to sell it?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score

If you almost own your 07, the $6K for a blower would easily get you a 500+ hp (450+ rwhp) car for cheap $$.

Sure, the 14 and 15 are better all around but twice as much $$ for that performance and you'll be paying another 5 years of depreciation.

mike4.0

Reaction score

I swapped my interior LED's and its one of my favourite mods I've done! Cost me all of $30 and some time. Completely transforms the interior in my eyes

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
A 800 rwhp built motor on a 2007 car is one thing, but you will then require a new tranny, like a T-56 or 6060. The oem 8.8 rear end won't handle 800 rwhp, so a 9" will have to be used. With that much power + tq, you will require a bunch of suspension mods. I doubt the MT-82 won't handle 800 rwhp either...so you may be better off to stick with your 2007 car.

The coyote 5.0 won't last 10 secs with 800 rwhp, so then you need the aluminator, all forged version.

For street use, you won't have any traction. A 305 and bigger will be needed.
Heat soak issues in the hot summer wx will have to be dealt with. You sure you want to do this ?

If it was me, I'd opt for the 2015...after finally getting to drive one.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
How many has made the switch up to the new 5.0 from the 4.6 models. Not just stock type cars,but boosted built cars. Been thinking about making the switch but unsure if it is worth it. Would you do it again also?

I bought an '07 GT Auto brand new in 2006. Installed a Vortech V2 S-trim blower, gears, stall, tune, etc. Really loved how the car looked. Performed pretty well for a very conservatively tuned daily driver.

Traded the '07 for a brand new '11 GT with the craptastic MT-82 trans. The trans was enough of a problem to make me trade that one for a brand new '14 GT Auto. With just a few, well-chosen mods, my '14 GT is quicker & faster down the 1/4 mile than my Vortech supercharged '07 GT was. Nicer interior, arguably just a good looking (I prefer the '14 over the '07 style), and faster. Definitely worth the trade up from the boosted 3V, IMHO. No regrets with the Coyote / 6R80 combo!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I bought an '07 GT Auto brand new in 2006. Installed a Vortech V2 S-trim blower, gears, stall, tune, etc. Really loved how the car looked. Performed pretty well for a very conservatively tuned daily driver.

Traded the '07 for a brand new '11 GT with the craptastic MT-82 trans. The trans was enough of a problem to make me trade that one for a brand new '14 GT Auto. With just a few, well-chosen mods, my '14 GT is quicker & faster down the 1/4 mile than my Vortech supercharged '07 GT was. Nicer interior, arguably just a good looking (I prefer the '14 over the '07 style), and faster. Definitely worth the trade up from the boosted 3V, IMHO. No regrets with the Coyote / 6R80 combo!

And no built eng required, no blower either, and no heat soak issues. Any $6k PD blower will add 100++ lbs of weight, not including the coolant in the HE-IC loop.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back