Upgrading rear end gear ratio for exhaust drone?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Not more than 1 hour ago, I fixed the exhaust drone and popping I've been living with for a couple of years. What's this miracle cure you ask?? The answer is simple, two 12" Vibrant Resonators in the 2.5" pipe size.

Day and night difference, as well as a 80% improved exhaust tone throughout the RPM range. Should have done it sooner...

Edit: Oh yea, the trumpeting is gone too and they were welded in side by side, no stagger.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Resonators all welded in.

I do have to say that no matter what I and others say about Zimmer's Turbo, he sure built the hot side to stay out of the way of road hazards.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I am only lowered about an inch with roush springs on 235/55/17's with stock bullitts and Koni STR.T's and I know I would rub with that setup.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Would the +11 axle over pipes fit on the 05-09? Those have resonators welded in.

The problem is there is no good welder around me. The only place worth going is the junk yard near me and the road are unpaved there so being lowered 2" I'm not gonna go there.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Also I did try two M80 staggered and unstaggered, did help but the cruising highway RPM was still present.

I know M80's muffler and what you did are actual resonators, but still kinda skeptical.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue like yours with the boom tubes I was running on the stock H. I got the ford racing cut and clamp X pipe and that changed the frequency of the sound dramatically. Have you looked into replacing the H with an X?

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Did you run the m80s by themselves or with another muffler? I have them staggered with Borla stingers and zero drone. You might be better off pulling the headers if they are giving you this much trouble.

Back