V6 ECU able to 'Learn'???

richie9mt

Reaction score
I bought my 2006 4.0L V6 w/auto trans about three weeks ago. 15 years old and only 87K on the clock. It seems to have been garaged in Winter and only driven moderately. I drive a bit more spiritedly.

My 2008 Escape I4 has an ECU that can 'learn' how you like to drive. Disconnect the battery and let sit. It takes a few days/miles but it will gradually pick up how I pull away from stoplights and at what points I want it to shift. It's actually pretty perky, after it 'learns'.

The Mustang isn't quite like how I want it to drive. I mostly drive around with the O/D off because I like how it responds better that way.

If I disconnect the 2006 Mustang battery for a half-hour or so, will the ECU 'forget' how it has programmed itself and eventually adapt to my way of driving, like the Escape does???

Reaction score
I bought my 2006 4.0L V6 w/auto trans about three weeks ago. 15 years old and only 87K on the clock. It seems to have been garaged in Winter and only driven moderately. I drive a bit more spiritedly.

My 2008 Escape I4 has an ECU that can 'learn' how you like to drive. Disconnect the battery and let sit. It takes a few days/miles but it will gradually pick up how I pull away from stoplights and at what points I want it to shift. It's actually pretty perky, after it 'learns'.

The Mustang isn't quite like how I want it to drive. I mostly drive around with the O/D off because I like how it responds better that way.

If I disconnect the 2006 Mustang battery for a half-hour or so, will the ECU 'forget' how it has programmed itself and eventually adapt to my way of driving, like the Escape does???

I remember pulling a fuse under the hood of my 2012 automatic to reset the transmission learning until I got a MPT tune that fixed it. It is a newer 6 speed but I would guess that yours might benefit too. You won't hurt anything to try.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I remember pulling a fuse under the hood of my 2012 automatic to reset the transmission learning...

Thank you both for the confirmation and the fuse tip. I took the covers off the fusebox and am trying to figure out just which one might cover the "Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy". If I can't find one I'll just yank the negative battery terminal.

Reaction score
Thank you both for the confirmation and the fuse tip. I took the covers off the fusebox and am trying to figure out just which one might cover the "Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy". If I can't find one I'll just yank the negative battery terminal.

On my 2012 it was engine compartment fuse #47 (Powertrain control module Vehicle Power 1). You could start with that one on yours. Be aware that there may be a bit of harsh shifting behavior for the 1st few miles.

richie9mt

Reaction score
On my 2012 it was engine compartment fuse #47 (Powertrain control module Vehicle Power 1). You could start with that one on yours. Be aware that there may be a bit of harsh shifting behavior for the 1st few miles.

Apart from the clock and the radio pre-sets, is there any real advantage to pulling the fuse (if it is the right one on an 2006) rather than disconnecting the battery for a half-hour??? The car will be put away for the Winter in a few days, and it may be to my advantage to bring the battery indoors rather than leave it in the car. (I have had a low battery freeze in 15 degree weather and it never recovered. This was a battery I charged every month while it was idle).

Reaction score
Apart from the clock and the radio pre-sets, is there any real advantage to pulling the fuse (if it is the right one on an 2006) rather than disconnecting the battery for a half-hour??? The car will be put away for the Winter in a few days, and it may be to my advantage to bring the battery indoors rather than leave it in the car. (I have had a low battery freeze in 15 degree weather and it never recovered. This was a battery I charged every month while it was idle).
Pulling the battery cable will reset all the learning data including the engine but no it will not cause any problems that relearning won't fix. It makes sense to remove the battery and putting it on a trickle charger if you are not using the car for months. I would pull the fuse every few weeks and that is a different story. I just wanted the transmission data wiped and the fuse did the trick.

Reaction score
Why reset the trans programming every few weeks??? Won't it learn how I want it to shift and then 'remember' it henceforth???
It is programmed to give the best fuel economy and no matter how you drive it gets lazier and lazier performance wise. Besides most of us get stuck in traffic don't we? Getting a good tune is the best performance boost you can get for your tranny. It will increase shift pressure and hold lower gears longer. And no more fuse pulls needed. It really changes the "personality" of the car.

Last edited:

richie9mt

Reaction score
It is programmed to give the best fuel economy and no matter how you drive it gets lazier and lazier performance wise. Besides most of us get stuck in traffic don't we? Getting a good tune is the best performance boost you can get for your tranny. It will increase shift pressure and hold lower gears longer. And no more fuse pulls needed. It really changes the "personality" of the car.

That sounds good. But what is an 'MPT Tune'???

Is reprogramming the ECU something I can do with Forscan???

Edit: I just checked the MPT web site. They don't seem to offer anything for the 2006/Gen 5 4.0L V6...

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If you feel like resetting the car, do it once and leave it.Like it was already suggested. You just think it is better because it drives a little different. After a while, the PCM learned, you got used to it. Now if you have to reset for some type of issue, that's a different story.

Reaction score
That sounds good. But what is an 'MPT Tune'???

Is reprogramming the ECU something I can do with Forscan???

Edit: I just checked the MPT web site. They don't seem to offer anything for the 2006/Gen 5 4.0L V6...

There are a few tuners who offer tunes for the 4.0. It is not considered a performance engine but it can get a boost from a tune. Here is one from American Muscle. It will also allow you to fix your speedometer if you change your rear axle ratio.
  • Improves Horsepower, Torque and Overall Performance
  • Pre-Loaded with Pre-Configured Accel Tunes
  • Full Color, High-Resolution 2.8-inch Display
  • Easy to Understand Graphic Interface
  • Simple to use 5-Button Interface
  • Reads/Clears DTC Trouble Codes
  • CARB Certified - CARB EO #D-745
  • Internet Updateable - PC/Windows Compatible Only
  • Fits 2005-2010 V6 Models
https://www.americanmuscle.com/accel-2010-mustang-v6-supertuner-49505.html?utm_content=Tuner - Tuner|Accel&T5_Var4=409233G05-40&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Vehicle+Medium&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlea3udeR9AIVD02GCh0low2SEAQYBCABEgKw5fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#customer_reviews

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Just say no to american muscle, really bad idea. A diablosport canned tune is better than AM, really. That's what I ran when it was a 6. And I did have an AM v6 "tune" to compare, and ran it a day.

richie9mt

Reaction score
If you feel like resetting the car, do it once and leave it.Like it was already suggested. You just think it is better because it drives a little different. After a while, the PCM learned, you got used to it.

Ah, so it has no effect except to make me feel like it has improved, but actually it eventually defaults to the MPG/O2 settings Ford used to certify it. Clever, those beancounting engineers at Ford. :)

Reaction score
Just say no to american muscle, really bad idea. A diablosport canned tune is better than AM, really. That's what I ran when it was a 6. And I did have an AM v6 "tune" to compare, and ran it a day.
The tunes are canned ones from Accel on that unit AM has nothing to do with them. I do not know if the Accel canned tunes are better or worse than the Diablo Sport ones. Do you?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The tunes are canned ones from Accel on that unit AM has nothing to do with them. I do not know if the Accel canned tunes are better or worse than the Diablo Sport ones. Do you?
Dont know about Accel tunes. But the Diablo canned tune was very good IMO. So good I got an InTune for both my wife's car and my van. Small improvements, but better than stock. For minor tweaking, diablo is good. For custom tunes, SCT is the way to go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back