Very squeaky rear suspension

Discussion in '2011+ Mustang GT 5.0L Tech' started by WJBertrand, Feb 20, 2021.

1. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

My 2013 GT rear end squeaking is driving me nuts. The car has the Brembo brake package which includes some different suspension bits I believe. It now has about 73,000 miles on it and the rear suspension is completely stock. The squeak happens on sharp bumps such as broken up pavement and small square edged bumps. It seems worse when it’s colder out. I can go over a speed bump with one or both rear wheels and it does not squeak. Of course I take those more slowly, but they still create a lot of suspension movement.
    Someone suggested removing, lubing and reinstalling the top shock mounts, which I did to no avail. What’s the most likely suspect? Lower trailing arms, panhard rod bushings, upper center link, sway bar, something else? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

Most likely the rear swaybar bushings or the rear swaybar link bushings.
    Lesser chance but still possible at the age and mileage, the top diff bushing.

Also, this is not tech so it will probably get moved.

WJBertrand and EBABlacknChrome like this.
  3. Olerodder

Olerodder Junior Member

I replaced the upper control are on top of the rear end housing at less than 10k miles, and it looked like it was ready to disintegrate, although my car was lowered and I did abuse it road racing. I also replace the lower control arms with ones that had poly busings, replaced the track bar with one that was adjustable and also had poly bushings, and never had another issue.

WJBertrand likes this.
  4. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Thanks, very useful information. What parts did you use?

5. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Thanks, I wonder if lubing
    or replacing them is the best course?

6. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

When they go, they're rubber, they basically crack or have enlarged holes (as in the case of stabilizer bar bushings, the bar opens up that bushing's inner diameter over time. Lube wouldn't fix that, or fix cracked rubber. Replacing them is best course of action

WJBertrand likes this.
  7. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

OK, thanks OEM or is there a better option?

8. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Inspecting the end link bushings around the stabilizer bar, the right side one looks to have a space around the bar. I've bought a set of Energy polyurethane bushings for the rear stabilizer bar. This will be my first step trying to repair the squeak. What I can't seem to find are the torque values for the upper end links-to-body bolts or the end bracket to lower arm bolts. I saw some values around 129 ft. lb., but this seems too high considering the size of those bolts. Thanks for any help

9. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

I give those bolts about 7 ugga-duggas with the impact and call it a day.
    I forget which setting the impact is in when I do that, but it's over 100 ft-lbs.

Pretty much using the German torque spec "Gut-an-tight"
    :lol:

WJBertrand likes this.
  10. WJBertrand

WJBertrand forum member

Finished replacing the bushings today. The right side end link was very squeaky working it off the end of the stabilizer bar, i’m thinking this was the culprit. The OEM bushings didn’t look damaged or excessively worn, but were very dry. A test drive over a bump that always causes the squeak, was quiet, so fingers crossed I’ve fixed it.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice to look at these bushings.

nyuk98GT, Careener and Gabe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.