Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
continued from above

There is a lot of strategy involved in Time Trial - making good laps in the Saturday "Warm-up" to make sure you have good grid position, watching the temps and weather, knowing the track condition and any debris on track, keeping an eye on the times in your class, and watching to see if your competitors come to grid for any given session. I'm really tempted to get radios in the car and the pits to have a track side helper watch the NASA Live Timing and relay to me how I'm doing in class in real time.

The crazy trike thing above was the pace car for some races, including this Blitz group (led and won by Paul Costas's GT1 Camaro)

Radios would have been VERY helpful at NASA Nationals in 2013, where I ran the time I needed in the very last session but didn't know if my competitor got any faster (who was behind me on track). It was down to hundredths of a second, but then he got DSQ'd for blowing his dyno numbers and weights on the scales and I managed to keep the spot. Something like this from a helper track side would be a real lifeline: "OK, the 2nd place car has come in, you have his times covered, so take a cool down and come in now". For me its all about saving the tires for the GOLDEN session, to get that PERFECT lap. Others want to just barely win, not over-sharing their true performance, to avoid extra scrutiny. There's a lot of things that go into winning in Time Trial, and its all part of the fun. :D

After 2 laps I usually come in, to preserve tires and other consumables. Getting off-line and not impeding others is key

Its easy to say "Well just run all of the laps in all of the sessions, stupid!" but that's not what you want to do in TT. All of the consumables have a finite life, like the brake pads, rotors, and especially Hoosier A7 tires. I usually have a 1-2 lap window in any session where the tires work their best, and it can fall off a second on each successive lap. Not to mention the traffic issues (the front of the pack often catches the tail by lap 2 or 3). For this car on these tires, the cooler the session the faster the car is. That's usually the FIRST session of the day. Well on Saturday in the rain, that wasn't to be, but not going on track in the warm-up cost me grid position all day long. My 1:52.2 lap was way off the pace but it was enough to win, so I sat out very hot session 3. Nursing the tire rub issue made this even more important.

So we ended up winning Saturday, placing 1st out of 11 cars in TT3, but only by about 1.5 seconds - the closest margin we've had in this car in a while. But I knew it had a lot more left in it, if I could get around traffic. This time was still 7th quickest for all of the TT field, which would mean we would finally grid higher up on the grid for Sunday (7th).

It was hot at the end of the day and everyone was sweaty and tired. There was the usual NASA dinner party Saturday night, but the 300+ entrants made for super long lines, so a few of us decided to go into town and get some good food we missed from our days living here decades ago. Los Cucos is a Tex Mex restaurant I first ate at in 1996 in Houston. They opened one of these in College Station a few years back - I really wanted to get some of their fajitas a la Cucos, and of course a TALL and cold mug of Dos Equis lager on draft to cool me down. Paul and Anna joined Amy and I and we feasted surrounded by lots of other NASA racers eating there as well.

Sunday - Race Day 2

Each weekend day of a typical NASA race weekend is a new race for TT, so with a win and two Hoosiers won on Day 1 we were aiming to repeat this on Sunday - plus with the better grid placement, were hoping for clear track and a new TT record for the class on Day 2.

The rain and bad weather held off Saturday night, so we were treated to a dry track in the morning - something Texas hasn't had much of lately! The off-track areas were still SATURATED with rain and any cars going off were almost guaranteed to get stuck in the mud, so I really wanted to avoid any "offs" in the pretty and clean Mustang.

The car had been running great all day Saturday but I wanted to really limit our laps on track Sunday, if possible. Amy was still just trying to get in her last few laps at TWS before the track "closed in June" and she wanted to run at least two more sessions, but I was worried that this $1700 set of Hoosiers were going to get chewed up if we kept pounding laps on them, and that we really needed to fix the rear rubbing issue before we pushed the car any harder. We also had this car FOR SALE, so we needed to keep it clean and unbroken.

So after our "strategy session" that morning we decided to put me in the car in TT session 1 Sunday with a goal of making ONE HOT LAP, then come in and see how the car looked for Amy to make some laps in a later session. There's also the fact that in TT if you have an off or spin you lose ALL your times from that session. Also, if we could get loaded up and on the road home before noon we could make it back to Dallas before dark, relax for a few hours, or - more likely - go back to the shop and CNC machine more parts. That's all Amy and I do at night and weekends - load metal and run the CNC machines, making all of the pieces we need for camber plate orders.

So we checked all the fluids and pressures and got the red Mustang to grid for TT Session 1, the coolest session of the day. With a dry track and cool air, it would be THE perfect session all day to get a fast lap in. Since I knew this car well (after 5 years) and knew this track like the back of my hand (my first laps were taken here in 1989!), I felt like I could get it done in a single lap. It was the LAST EVER event that TWS would have at TWS, so I wanted to cement our lap record in the books for good, and improve on our 1:50.6 TT3 record from 2 years ago.

Excuses: we should actually be about 2-3 seconds faster than our 2013 laps, with the improvements we made in the 2014 season, so I was still 4-5 seconds off the pace. With the wounded rear I was taking it easy going into Turn 1 off the banking, keeping it to around 140 mph on turn-in and braking early. Still, I REALLY wanted to improve upon our 2013 record, as this might be the last time we run this Mustang with NASA, if a buyer finally shows up (we're at 4 flaked out buyers and counting). So, the goal was nothing less than a new a track record and two wins.

The one lap I drove on Sunday, in TT session 1...with data overlay

So my lone lap of the day is shown above, and with some careful gapping on the out lap I managed to get a traffic free lap. I was still feeling the tire rub on most high speed corners, which made me cringe, but I drove through it and managed to get in a clean lap. As you will see at the end of the video there was a big "off" by TTC Mini competitor BJ, who I race against in the TTC Corvette (when it runs). With the wet grass he was stuck and they had to roll a flat bed and tow him out of the mud, shutting down the session early.

After that 1:49.9 lap I felt fairly confident we had the win in the bag, but it turned out to be a 4.2 second lead over second which stuck all day. Amy went out in an HPDE 3/4 session but a DE driver went off track pretty hard and found something to run into, which ended that session after 2 laps. So she brought it in and called it a weekend also.

The sun came out and everything heated up, and in the end most of the TT field set their fastest laps in TT session 1 or 2, but 2nd place Andrew got his best lap in during TT session 3 (after we had left). We stuck around until noon, loaded up, said goodbye to our friends, and hit the road by 12:30. I watched MyLaps app for live timing on the way home, fingers crossed, and wasn't really sure we had won until later that evening - another "whew" moment.

So that worked pretty well - 4.2 second win over 2nd, 6th quickest in TT all weekend, 2 wins, new track record, won four more tires, took one lap to get it done Sunday, and the car was reliable even not being 100% going into the weekend. The new set of A7 tires still had plenty of life left in them when we were done, too.

Watch Out For Skin Cancer

Quick public service announcement - I've been outdoors for much of my life, back when I was a kid in Scouts, then all through college and adulthood racing. Spending a lot of time in the sun (working corners at autocross was probably the bulk of it) means you need to slather on the sunscreen, often and heavy. 50 SPF, waterproof - the nasty stuff.

Otherwise you will get sunburned. And like getting heat exhaustion - sunburns are CUMULATIVE. The damage builds over time and eventually, almost without fail, you will get skin cancer. It looks nasty, and if left untreated, it can get much worse. In some cases it can even be deadly. So yea, I've had dozens of sunburns over the past 30 years racing, but they are finally catching up to me. Over the past 6 months I had a few spots on my face and arms that were red colored, and the skin would get flaky on these small patches every few days. Just a little discolored but I knew something was wrong.

"Statistically, in the United States approximately 3 out of 10 Caucasians may develop a basal-cell cancer within their lifetime. In 80 percent of all cases, basal-cell cancers are found on the head and neck"

After my regular doctor looked at me during my annual physical "You've got skin cancer, dummy!", I finally went to a dermatologist and she said, yea, that's "Basal-cell carcinoma". This is one of the easily treated skin cancers, luckily, but if left untreated it can spread and damage surrounding tissue, possibly leaving you disfigured. If you want to be grossed out, just Google search this stuff. "Let me get the sprayer"... she says. Comes back and freezes the patches with liquid Nitrogen, seven spots in all, none bigger than your finger nail.

Sporting the zombie look at TWS was fun. Thanks to Costas for the Hello Kitty band aids...?!

That process is supposed to be the easiest way to kill the cancerous skin cells and let the regular skin cells come back, but liquid Nitrogen spraying on my face FREAKIN HURT. Felt like a red hot poker burning my skin, but the pain subsided substantially as soon as the liquid N2 spray stopped, and pain was gone completely in about 8 hours. The patches were REALLY red now, and in 2 days they were NASTY. I won't show it, but I looked like the Walking Dead. The spots were nasty and blistered badly within 72 hours (while I was at the TWS event). I put band-aids over most of the spots for about a week, but it was about 4 weeks before I looked human again. There are still some divots in my face that I hope will grow back, but maybe not.

So, learn from more of my mistakes - PLEASE WEAR SUNSCREEN when outdoors, reapply often. And yes, get a big floppy hat. /EndOfPSA

continued below

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
continued from above

TWS - Not Quite Dead Yet?

So right after this NASA event at TWS, the "last ever", there was an article in the Bryan Eagle newspaper about the track staying open...

Bill Mather, president and CEO of operations for Texas World Speedway, told The Eagle on Wednesday the track would remain open through the end of the year, and perhaps longer, depending on how soon several issues related to the planned development can be resolved.

The track managers have already started booking events past June, and there's even a NASA Texas event on the TWS event calendar for October 17-18th - but it isn't confirmed with NASA Texas, yet. I hope the track stays open indefinitely. Sure, it needs a lot of work, but there is simply no other track like it in the country, and Texas needs this centrally located track with some higher speed corners.

Texas Region SCCA Autocross - May 3, 2015

We haven't raced in an SCCA Solo event since 2014, so we left the Mustang in the trailer after TWS and just hauled the rig out to Texas Motor Speedways' asphalt "Bus Lot" and joined our friends with the Texas Region for this monthly Solo event. Since Amy and I signed up early enough we were able to get the work assignments we usually do - with me announcing and Amy working the timing computer, both of which were in the air conditioned trailer (and out of the sun).

It was a sunny warm day and they had an unusually large turn-out - 162 entries. We did nothing to the car after NASA @ TWS - just rolled it out of the trailer, threw 5 gallons of fuel in it, and slapped on some "SM - W" decals where it usually says "TT3".

They split up the drivers into 4 heats, where you run one, work one, and have the other two off. Amy was running the PAXed "Womens" class, running 1st and working 3rd. I was on opposite rotation running in Street Mod, working 1st and running 3rd. Amy would get cooler temps but a less clean course, where I had a cleaner course with higher temps - and those latter conditions favored the car.

Of course this car isn't set-up for autocross and hasn't been since 2012, but we occasionally run it in SMod, where it fits but is VERY heavy for the class. There is some archaic engine displacement-to-weight formula with a modifier for turbos, weight break for FWD and a penalty for AWD, but I lost interest in SCCA class rules 3 years ago and try not to pay attention to the seemingly constant changes. It fit there, so that's where I ran it. Shouldn't be competitive at 3800 pounds with driver (and 4000 pounds with a passenger on board), but a good suspension set-up and large Hoosier A7s don't hurt...

Old racing buddies Tim and Henry both ran against us in SMod in this 2004 STi, which we've worked on in the past

Amy went out in the first heat, when I was working as announcer, and she was taking passengers and having fun in the car. She didn't take it too seriously - neither of us did that day - and had a ball. She started in the 48 second range and by her 4th run at a 43.854. She was admittedly rusty and the rear suspension was sill busted, so the rear tires rubbed like crazy. You could feel the car lurch when the rear axle moved over and the sidewall rubbed the inner fenders. I warned her but told her not to worry about it.

She did get called out for "blowing sound" (with a high of 104 dB), as did about a dozen others in the first heat. While I was trying to work in the timing trailer that heat, no less than five busy bodies informed me that we MUST do something to lower the sound "before she could make another run!" Some of them got quite huffy and exasperated when I told them - if you want it quieter, I will just drive it into the trailer, leave, and be on our merry way. :)

After they told Amy it affected her driving, and she was trying to upshift to 3rd gear near the completely irreverent sound meter, but eventually the Regional Solo RE came by and said (I'm paraphrasing): "Don't worry about any of these folks - none of whom are the Sound Chief - TMS is a race track and is NOT a sound restricted site. They are just taking data for the National office. Have at it!" By then Amy was done with her first three runs and could finally open it up on run 4, but slowed a tick on run 5. She placed 2nd in this PAX'ed W class by 2 tenths, oh well. She had fun running with her good friends Jen and Melinda. :)

We grabbed some lunch in heat 2 then came back to the site and got the Mustang ready for my runs in heat 3 with StreetMod. Other than checking tire pressure and making some shock adjustments, we left the Mustang exactly as we ran it in NASA @ TWS (which worked pretty damned well there). I had riders lined up for all 5 runs (and then some), and never took a run solo. I had also forgot to bring the dang vidcam and other camera gear, so all the pics are from my phone or Brad's pics and there's no in-car video.

Jon from Vorshlag beat a large CAM-T class this day

I was feeling the car out (wow, it can LAUNCH now!) and managed a 43.3 on my first run, matching Amy's best. The temps were up and the A7s were GRIPPING. The course was also set-up well for this car, not too many slalom cones, with speeds topping out 2nd gear in a couple of spots (high 70s). This is the first time I've autocrossed the car on the 335/345 Hoosier A7s and I was VERY impressed with the mechanical grip. Of course there was little to no aero help here, but the big wing and splitter made people ogle the car all day.

I under-drove the car on my first run, but I didn't let that happen again. By run 2 the times were in the low 42s, and by run 3 I realized I was under-using the brakes. With warm pads the car would STOP but I had to really dig into the pedal. On my 3rd run I topped out 2nd gear in the first setion and went for the brakes very late, pressed HARD AS **** and something went POP! The pedal dropped down another couple of inches but the car still stopped. The rest of that run was weird and the pedal had a lot of slop in it, but I managed a 41.3 second time - Fastest Time of the Day (FTD) so far, by a good bit! Of course I coned it away.

DSC_7987-L.jpg

I managed to break this brake pedal cross pin after 5 years and a LOT of hard braking

There were people coming by and looking at the car more seriously after they heard the times announced, and the right seat was never empty. After this run I tried to see what was wrong with the pedal, saw the issue, but ran out of time and had to take run 4 with a broken pedal arm-to-brake booster clevis pin. The little plastic pin showed above is ALL that holds the pedal to the clevis, and when it shears the pedal can travel further before it eventually runs into the "U" in the clevis. Makes for terrible pedal feel!

I left the car in grid while I ran to our trailer to get parts, to repair the busted brake pedal pin

On run 4, fighting the busted pedal pin, I over-drove one corner and slowed down to a 41.8. I immediately got out of the car, sprinted the 200 yards back to the paddock (in another parking lot across the road), rummaged in our trailer and found an M8 bolt and nut, ran back, and made a quick paddock fix for the busted pin. It worked and I jumped back in the driver's seat in time to put in my 5th run, a 41.553 second pass, which was my fastest clean run. Much easier to drive with the pedal directly connected to the brake master cylinder, heh.

The results for Big Red were shocking, but we'll take them: a Win in SMod, Top Time of Day and Top PAX Time!

Man, that course was fun! Somehow these "just screwing around" runs with the axle sliding around and the rear tires rubbing inboard, we still managed to win the Street Modified class, set Top PAX time and also set FTD out of the 162 drivers. This car is unstoppable! We had dozens of folks stop and tell us that they LOVED the car, the sounds and sights, and thanked us for coming out. I do miss autocrossing, especially when we have a fast car. The BMW E36 "Alpha" car was this much fun to autocross back in 2009, when this gutted 2500 pound car had the 490 whp 7.0L LS2 engine and giant Hoosiers. FAST HOONAGE!

Setting FTD and Top PAX was easy in this V8 BMW back in 2007-09 - driving the Mustang on giant A7s made me fast in an autocross again!

Amy and I were both carrying around passengers and didn't have the car optimized for autocross, but it was still effortless to drive on the big tires after I made the shock adjustments. Why didn't we ever run tires this big when we were in ESP in 2012? Oh yea, that wasn't really the class we prepped for back then, and making 335/345s fit costs real money. But like I always say - TIRES MATTER MOST, and as we've seen on this car, BIGGER IS BETTER.

People ask me why we run a 345mm DOT Hoosier on this car, and I tell them "because there isn't anything bigger!" ;) Seriously, with a 3600 pound car + a 200 pound driver and 400+ hp, you really can't have "too much tire". My next track build (which we will begin as soon as we sell this car) is going to be 1000 pounds lighter, make more power, and have more aero. Do you want to guess what sized tires it will run? (hint - nothing smaller than these!) :D

Despite a few irritating folks, we still had a lot of fun running with the Texas Region SCCA that day and the Big Red Mustang really dropped the hammer. I wish we had tried to run this car on these giant Hoosiers sooner, as the only SCCA autocrosses we did last year were on the 200 treadwear street tires, in preparation for Optima @ Vegas. Gotta love that "Purple Crack" (Hoosiers!). At least we finished our last autocross in this car on top.

Post Event Repairs

After this autocross the tire rub issues had to be fixed. We had actually looked at the issue more closely after the TWS event and ordered the part. It arrived the day after the autocross. Olof did the swap then upgraded my "track-side bolt fix" with a properly sized bolt/washer and nut for the brake pedal clevis.

Then I had the guys vacuum the interior and finally photograph the current Cobra seats and Scroth harnesses, which we never seemed to get a good picture of. All of these are new within the last 12 months, and they look perfect. I was going to add this to the For Sale ad, but it seems pretty pointless now, as we're going to part the car out.

The Unsellable Mustang - Time to Part Out Big Red

The last two events only show how well this car works. We show up at a NASA event and leave with four free Hoosiers, every time for almost 3 years. We show up at a big regional SCCA event and set FTD and Top PAX, just screwing around. Easy to drive, easy to win with, and rarely do I have to turn a wrench at an event. Its a solid performer and you'd think we could sell it rather easily.

You'd be wrong. I've been trying to sell this car ever since we came back from NASA Nationals in 2013, since November of that year. Almost 18 months and we have had no serious buyers. A few flaky bidders, but no follow through. I've already slashed the price almost ten grand and we have done a lot of upgrades since 2013, and still not a call, nothing. I guess since it is not a "real race car" and its not a "perfect street car", it scares people off? It doesn't matter - I need to raise some capital for our growing business and I cannot just keep this car, so I have to do something to make it sell-able.

Instead of just dropping the price more and more, hoping to keep this car together in its current form, we're going to part it out and put it back to as close to stock as possible. It sucks but it seems to be the only way to generate any funds and sell this car. The entire front sheet metal/hood/splitter/bumper is going back to stock, and luckily I kept all of the OEM parts to do that. Wing/trunk, seats, suspension, rear axle, everything. We cannot take the steel flared rear fenders off, and removing the headers/exhaust is more work than the parts are worth used, but the rest of the mods we've done are being removed.

Some of the OEM parts going back onto this car - which is almost always the best way to recoup any costs

Roughly $40,000 in mods, custom work, and parts are being removed, photographed and added to our website for sale. I'll be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for some of this stuff, but so be it. After we de-mod all of the suspension, aero, interior and other bits we'll puts some 18x11" wheels on the front to match a pair of the existing 18x12" rears and put the car up for sale. This car still has a $27,000 loan value, so it should bring something with a "wide body rear" and big wheels/tires + ARH stainless full lengths and custom stainless exhaust. Will post up a link to our Clearance Page when we have the various parts removed and for sale here. Not that anyone here will buy it, but I'll post the ad for the de-modded Mustang here when it's ready as well.

Five years of hard work about to be dismantled.

This whole situation sucks. We spent 5 years building and refining a package on this car that cannot seem to lose, yet nobody wants to buy it. It pains me to see a LOT of hard work get dismantled and have to be sold off, piece by piece. Please don't PM me about any parts yet - I will post up here when they are ready for sale.

Thanks,

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I had to do the same thing with my car....granted it wasn't as heavily modded as yours but it was still a great package and pretty much of a perfect street car. It seems like people just aren't interested in a modded mustang with no turbo or supercharger. Their loss.

I got more money parting out and putting back to stock than I was asking for the whole package though, so I guess it was worth it.

Hate to see the red car no longer be the red car though...somebody is going to end up with it and have no idea what they have.

tigercrazy718

Reaction score
Damn that really sucks you're going to part the beast out :(. And it really sucks that you're going to be parting out all these awesome parts when money is tight for me right now!! Ughhh

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Saw the car today. Pardon my drool Terry. I'm not responsible for any slip and fall accidents the puddle may cause.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
What's your next car project 15 possible

Terry's been looking at a 15 for a LONG time, but as with most people that enjoy corners driven in anger - they're disgusted by weight.

And the new mustangs have a lot of that.

I think the GT350 and R will make up for that (and devastate one's pocketbook by the time u gets your hands on one).

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Terry's been looking at a 15 for a LONG time, but as with most people that enjoy corners driven in anger - they're disgusted by weight.

And the new mustangs have a lot of that.

I think the GT350 and R will make up for that (and devastate one's pocketbook by the time u gets your hands on one).

The S550 body-in-white is supposed to be noticeably lighter than the S197 from what I've heard. It's all the streetgoing comfort and safety crap that adds the bulk. So, if you're willing to gut completely, or have the cash for a BIW, you may be surprised.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
The S550 body-in-white is supposed to be noticeably lighter than the S197 from what I've heard. It's all the streetgoing comfort and safety crap that adds the bulk. So, if you're willing to gut completely, or have the cash for a BIW, you may be surprised.
:grd:
TAKE NOTE VORSHLAG

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Pic from this past weekend @ MO, 5th car in the 1st row. Looks like they took that thing off a snowplow!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/1235956_10153336255126308_4712273782494432997_n.jpg?oh=47c4499d2489e5061d76d2d8c53246fd&oe=563484DA[/mg][/quote]

Brian and Paul know how to build a car.

[YOUTUBE][ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0li2_Uh0D4[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOpWtlqLLw[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9d9kinIPe8[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

SwissBoss

Reaction score
I talked to Paul last may at Putnam Park where they were testing that car.
If I remember correctly, I believe he said it's around 2900lb without a driver and got more weight in the back than the front

tang-o

Reaction score
is he left foot braking? It is odd to see the red lights at the exit of a corner. The traffic seems far away... 2:17 or so... other spots too.
That wing is BIG!

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
is he left foot braking? It is odd to see the red lights at the exit of a corner. The traffic seems far away... 2:17 or so... other spots too.
That wing is BIG!

I asked him about that on Youtube and he said there is a problem with the brake light switch--I thought the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back