What have you done to your house today

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
This last week I've worked on my garage/shop, specifically building a wall to separate them (because there is an AC vent in the shop). In a week I've gone from this:

IMG_3225.jpg

to this:

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

Tomorrow I'll pick up another 24" door, more drywall, some door casing material and more ceiling light fixtures. I will also tackle running the light switches into the wall beside the door so I can close it up.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
How big was the garage originally? 2 car or more?

I'm not sure how it was originally laid out but the previous owners divided it off as well. But they put the wall up right at the step in the floor which made the garage too small, it was only 17' deep and the layout was terrible. I took down the wall they built before I moved in, and I'm only now getting around to rebuilding it the way I think is correct. The inside dimensions of the entire garage space is 20'x35'. My garage is now 20'x21' and the shop is 20'x14'. You can subtract the bathroom out of that, which is about 5'x10'. Since there is no actual bathroom other than a couple water lines and sewer line in the wall, I was considering just eliminating it. But building out the bathroom will only increase the value of the house so I will leave that possibility open for now.

Here's what it looked like about a month after I closed. I had most of the original wall removed already. The bathroom space is on the left side behind that plywood wall.

IMG_3069.jpg

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
I got a new ZTR mower over the weekend and they delivered it yesterday. My Toro has served me well for 13+ years, but the last 4 times I've cut my yard I've had to stop midway through to do minor repairs on it. Nothing too bad mind you, but a lot of the wiring is finally showing its age. I'll likely spend sometime over the summer and rewire the whole thing and keep it as a backup.

This time I wound up with a Scag Cheetah (61" deck with a 29HP Kohler EFI). I took it out yesterday to try and clear out some property I have across the street from my house and I'm pretty impressed with the cut it produces. The area is really over grown since I really haven't done much to the area in the 9 years I've lived at my current house, but the ole Scag just mowed right through it. Here's a pic of where I left off last night and plan on having it fully cleared this weekend.

20160420_185742.jpg

I think it's time for a bigger shed now too!

20160420_192858.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Worked on electrical today. Moved some wiring, eliminated some wiring, added some wiring, hung some shop lights. No pics since it doesn't look like anything even though I spent hours on it. Slow and steady progress on my shop and garage, though.

I think I enjoy the process more than the finished product. I find it relaxing just brainstorming and slowly molding my space into what I envision.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yard got its first hair cut of the year and sprinkler system got turned on. Still have to drop the fertilizer/crab grass preventer down.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Wife had a landscaper come put two flower beds on both sides of the house. It's looks OK, not as professional looking as I was hoping for. I could have done this. Now I really need to clean up the clay off the foundation, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The foundation on front of the house has been painted grey, not sure why they didn't paint all around.
9eae90c3ad816434bfe1da330dab96b4.jpg

fb57c8d8f17caba45506243784a30c07.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That ^^^ doesn't look bad at all, but you're right, since a pro landscaper did it, I would've expected a little more.

Yesterday I made up another rack for the smaller lighter 7' aluminum ladder we have, with a piece of leftover hardwood as the removable bottom at one end, so I lift the ladder up onto the other support, lift the ladder up on the end closer to the garage doors, then slide the piece of hardwood under it through holes in the side supports.
I notched the piece of hardwood so it sits down nicely on the holes in the supports.
I also hung the Shelby Ave sign above the Shelby's parking spot :)

20160425_ladders.jpg

Phil1098

Reaction score
I installed this, my wife actually cried when old glory went into the wind for the first time.

Attachments

• 20160413_180045.jpg
    20160413_180045.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 9

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Flag and pole look good!

Nice Gabe!

Thanks dude.

Last couple of days I've been working in the basement, the storage area under the entryway and basement steps.
Had to remove a bunch of chewed insulation and critter droppings, clean/vacuum the area several times, framed in the back wall that was cement foundation, insulated the whole area, then installed drywall all around, including in the "ceiling", under the entryway landing.
I also installed a couple of lights in there, where there were none before.
We now have an L-shaped storage area and I've already almost filled it.
The fiancée's wine-bottle rack got moved in there too, better for the wine since it stays darker in there.
Today I added a few shelves in the basement, and started cleaning up down there, trying to empty it out as much as possible

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Bought a bunch of shit including a new Dewalt table saw. I'll use it to make shelves for the garage as well as when I get around to paneling the garage ceiling (sagging drywall, too much work to fix it so I'll bury it). Hung a new fan in my shop as well. This one was a little different and I liked it.

IMG_3238.jpg

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
^^^^ Very nice make-over! Look much better in white with the additional trim, the window trim really sets off the look at the sink too.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll be changing our the countertop to a wood/Butcher block look next week. I'll post the update if I survive lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back