What have you done to your house today

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, but sometimes the money spent paying a professional is well worth it. When I finished our basement last fall, I did all the framing, electrical, flooring (1.1k sf ft of laminate) and trim work... but since I suck at mudding/taping and needed 40 sheets to finish it, that was probably the best $3.5K I have ever spent. Just watching the 2 guys carry 20 double sheets from the truck, through the house and down the stairs helped with the sting to the checkbook. In a matter of 5 days, it was rocked, taped, textured and painted :beer:

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Decided to trim a little bit of a corner that has been over grown. Was going to keep the tropical plants. Then saw how overgrown they were. All done with some snips and ax .... I'm wore out. Then having to drag them across the yard to cut up. Worst part is I have no place to put em. I'm going to borrow a trailer and load everything up and bring it to a tree recycling place or the dump.

vepyge5e.jpg

e2asy9a3.jpg

4ema6u6e.jpg

9etevasy.jpg

se9yga3a.jpg

5a9uny7u.jpg

quraqebu.jpg

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
If I needed the work done fast I might consider paying somebody but we are not living in this place yet. I have til September to do everything I want to it. So ill save that money and spend it elsewhere lol.
I think in a few weekends I'm gonna build a firepit somewhere. Idk if I want to put it close to the house or just put it somewhere on the land.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I sanded all the joint compound that I had applied onto the joints in-between the backer boards in the bathroom, then I applied Redgard waterproofing membrane onto the backer boards, several coats of it especially over the joints and into the corners. No water's gonna get past this stuff !! :)

Pink areas are still wet:
:naughty1:
2013-04-24_tub-walls_zps4076ecfe.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Is the red stuff expensive?

It was $47 for that 1-gallon bucket, and I think I put on about 3 coats on the lightest areas, more like 5 over the joints.
When dry it feels like rubber.

An updated pic from this morning, all dry, after last night I put on more red stuff down the middle of the back wall, into the corners, and top areas :

2013-04-25_tub-walls_zpsd2164ec2.jpg

Next step is buying the tile, which I *thought* I decided on a light-silver design, now changing my mind to a marble-white-type ... then the mortar/grout.

I thought mortar was what you use to stick the tile to the walls, 1 guy at Lowe's said to use grout ... now I'm confused ...

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
well lets see, i'm in the process of overhauling my front yard.

decided tolet the bitch die, it was full of weeds and only getting worse. ontop of it it was all crab grass. so i've been slowly hoeing it by hand and am going to install sprinklers and reseed it.

i named the project operation lawni freedom

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Applied some of the tile adhesive onto parts of the walls to make any raised areas (from the joints) a more gradual bump, trying to get the walls to be flatter.

First step:

2013-04-25_tub-walls_zps69a586cc.jpg

Second and final step:

2013-04-27_tub-walls_zps6f7940a5.jpg

I've been letting the stuff completely dry in-between applying more, and today it's completely dry.
I just came back from buying the tile, grout, grout applicator/sponge/sealer, and am now contemplating laying down the first row of tile.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a bathroom, because it was cheaper than a new house. :)

My old bathroom sucked, and was totally awesome vintage 1983. It's nice to have two sinks now, and the shower thingy is epic. It will run through my whole hot water heater in no time. :mrgreen:

Paul.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This weekend:

Saturday - cleared a blocked drain, damn blockage was 5 feet deep behind the wall

Sunday - got the inground sprinklers turned on and fixed up.

Last edited:

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Wow! I can actually participate in these threads now.

Over the weekend I started trying to reclaim the 8' or so of the backyard that was taken over by weeds and Kudzu. The Brown area is where I cleared.

Found this little fella in the midst of all the mess.

Last night I replaced the bottom on the kitchen cabinet since the sink had been leaking for what seems like years before we bought the place. I don't have a before pic but the old piece was covered in black shit and all bowed. I'm thinking about putting some polyurethane on the plywood I put in there to protect it.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I'm the same way about drywall. I don't mind hanging it and such but I suck at the seems. I'm too much of a perfectionist and end up applying mud multiple times till you can't tell at all there's any seem there.

Here's my master bedroom from a few years ago. It had floor to ceiling bifold doors (and no insulation in the walls). I put in 6 panel doors, redid the electical (no ground and aluminum wires previously) etc. Starting on one of the other bedrooms in a few weeks.

2083_50168014148_540_n.jpg

33735_428659249148_1350672_n.jpg

268348_10150225964464149_4340262_n.jpg

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Spent some time in the yard today putting in slate stepping stones, turned out pretty good i think, if i had to do it again id get something with a flat bottom. Its a pain trying to get the slate to sit flat.

20130430_161412.jpg

20130430_161356.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That ^^^ looks really nice!

Today I had a crazy idea that instead of replacing the shower head and valve trim in the shower in the master bedroom, maybe I just see if there's such a thing as Satin Nickel spray paint.

Lowe's was nice enough to provide that for me, and I'm trying it out on a spare (formerly chrome) shower head to see how it comes out.
I used 400-grit sand paper all over the thing first, then 3 coats of paint, and now last coat is drying.

I really like it so far.

Without flash, and with :

2013-04-30_SatinNickel-spraypaint_zps00932233.jpg

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
I sell plumbing and I have to admit that looks pretty good in pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back