What have you done to your house today

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I hate furniture shopping with a passion... the woman called me back and said they can't move on the price. I said well alright... I guess I'll wait and hung up. Now the manager called me and left me a message. Despite my background in sales, furniture markup kills me.

Yup, they have tons of room to work. When I moved out I bought all new furniture and they really thought I would pay full price. I had to walk out to get them to give me money off but ended up getting a good deal.

Similar experience with me buying $1200 worth of tile for my new place.
I found some of it online for $40 off about a $400 portion.
I basically asked for $40 off a $1188 purchase, I was told flat-out "we don't price-match online sales, so the price is what it is"
I was pissed and while I went ahead and paid (since they had THE tile we wanted), I swore I wouldn't buy anything else there ever again.

Fucking $40 they wouldn't budge on!

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
What causes half the power in the house to go out? Obvious fixes have been attempted (reset breakers, etc). Any help is appreciated, furnace and entire first floor/basement no power.....

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sounds like one side of your breaker panel has lost a connection somewhere. There are two hot wires coming from your meter feeding your breaker panel, one feeds each side. But don't fuck with it unless you know what you're doing because it will bite you.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks.... Guess its time to find an electrician... 10 degrees out here cant let that furnace stay off too long

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you can verify that it's all the breakers on one side of the panel that aren't working, you can shut off power at the meter then pull the panel cover and tighten up the connections on that one side.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
If you can verify that it's all the breakers on one side of the panel that aren't working, you can shut off power at the meter then pull the panel cover and tighten up the connections on that one side.

The problem is I'm already at work, dealing with my girlfriend over the phone on the issue. Otherwise I'd give it a shot. From the sounds of it, it sounds like everything on one side of the breaker aside from one switch isn't working.... however that's what I'm gathering from a phone call from her. Still waiting to hear back from my electrical company (comed) to see if they're working on anything.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
If your 220 stuff doesn't work and some of your 110 works you probably have a loose connection at the transformer or weather head. Possibly a bad lug in the meter base. If you've checked everything, the power company will usually come out and check everything on their side. I work at a utility and we get these calls all the time.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
If your 220 stuff doesn't work and some of your 110 works you probably have a loose connection at the transformer or weather head. Possibly a bad lug in the meter base. If you've checked everything, the power company will usually come out and check everything on their side. I work at a utility and we get these calls all the time.

Called back to follow up with Comed. Everything is automated with their phone system so I couldn't get a live body on the phone no matter how many times I hit 0. However their automated system said "1 customer in your area is affected by an outage". Not sure if that 1 customer is me or someone else. Said estimated time is 11:45AM. I'll send my gf home (she works a lot closer to the house, I commute an hour away) in the afternoon to check on things. Hopefully it gets resolved before tonight otherwise I'm not sure I'll be able to stay there with this cold.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Stopped by the house again today. I'm still finding it hard to imagine that they will be able to finish the house in 6 1/2 weeks, but we'll see.

On a positive note, they are finally starting to get the exterior going.

Also, they're finishing up with installing the cabinets.

They have some really cool built-in features that my wife loves.

Same cabinets throughout the whole house. Here is one of our guest bathrooms.

Our master bathroom.

It wraps around the back of our master bedroom and will connect in the middle with a double door, frameless glass shower. Three shower heads. We'll probably only ever use one.

Oh, and I don't think I've posted a picture of the sliding glass doors off of our living room. There will be a patio out there once they get done with the scaffolding.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Looking good man. Surely they'll get it done in 6 weeks. That's a lot of time.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Happy to announce power is back on, the gf ran home to check on the house and everything was on. Thank you for the quick responses this morning guys.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Looking good man. Surely they'll get it done in 6 weeks. That's a lot of time.

Thanks, man! I sure hope so. The only thing that has me worried is that they said completion would be 60 days out from when they textured, and it has been two weeks since they textured and the only progress so far is installing the cabinets.

Happy to announce power is back on, the gf ran home to check on the house and everything was on. Thank you for the quick responses this morning guys.

That's great to hear. Not having power tonight would have been tough.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Who has experience with cost of concrete supplies and patios?

I had two different guys come to my house to day and give me an estimate for a concrete patio that is stamped to look like individual tiles. The patio will measure 23' across and 8' deep at 4" thick. It will be connected to the house itself and will be properly designed to let water run off it and not collect.

Both of the estimates I got - were $2600 and $2800 and that does not include the fact they may not be able to wheel the concrete up the hill from my backyard... they will have to pump it and they quoted me $550 to bring in a truck to do that.

I know you guys are in different areas than I am , but is this reasonable? I need to do some more research before I negotiate.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Concrete is $120 per yard now and that is if you're buying 10 yards or more. Price goes way up for less than a truck load. Are they bringing in a concrete truck or mixing it on site from bags?

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score

I had two different guys come to my house to day and give me an estimate for a concrete patio that is stamped to look like individual tiles. The patio will measure 23' across and 8' deep at 4" thick. It will be connected to the house itself and will be properly designed to let water run off it and not collect.

Both of the estimates I got - were $2600 and $2800 and that does not include the fact they may not be able to wheel the concrete up the hill from my backyard... they will have to pump it and they quoted me $550 to bring in a truck to do that.

I know you guys are in different areas than I am , but is this reasonable? I need to do some more research before I negotiate.

My father inlaw just had the back patio on his new house enlarged from 8'x10' to 20'x20' and a 3'x6' pad poured on the side of the house for refuse containers and it cost him $2000. No stamping or anything.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
BTW - your place looks great!

Thanks!

That sounds about right according to Google. I'll see if I can get in touch with my friend in NM who does that stuff for a living.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cam thats about right, a lot of it depends on the soil conditions. What kind of prepping they have to do.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back