What have you done to your mustang today?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Was being coerced by a Dodge truck this morning to run them at a stop light. Pouring rain outside and all. I have all season tires, but umm, no thank you. It is scary as it is when it is dry out, lol.
Albert,

Smart decision :hi:

Terry

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Well this:

Got installed on the car. Both sides got poly bushings. The big rear bushings got a groove turned in them and holes drilled in it. Drilled and tapped the outer sleeve for grease zerks. Fronts got grooves and holes in teh bushings but no grease zerks installed in the arm as I busted the drill bit.

For those looking to do the fronts and are buying replacement front control arms like I did. The Moog high end front LCA's utilize a smaller front bushing metal sleeve than what Ford does. This means you either need to burn the inner metal sleeve out of your stock control arms, or you need to provide your own front metal bushing... I did the latter because access to a machinist who works for peanuts and viable metal stock was available.

Car got aligned today:
-3.0º of camber
-0.01 total toe (read: Zero total toe)
+7.2º of caster on driver side, +7.8 on the passenger side...

Rear alignment, while not adjustable, hasn't changed any:
driver side camber is -0.3º, right side is straight up zero (most likely a pressure difference...), toe is -0.12º total toe (driver side is -0.14º, passenger is +0.02º). Thrust angle is -0.08º

The hunter alignment rack said no steer ahead.

Pretty glad about those alignment numbers although a little more negative camber wouldn't hurt.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Bought the China Freight Low Profile Rapid pump floor jack for $79(regular $139) and these 2 Swivel ratchet combination wrench sets, 1-SAE and 1-Metric for $20 each(regular $40 each) at Sears.:omfg::beerdrink:

Here's a shot of the Low Profile jack compressed to the lowest setting of 2-3/4" setting:

:thumb:

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
Well this:

Got installed on the car. Both sides got poly bushings. The big rear bushings got a groove turned in them and holes drilled in it. Drilled and tapped the outer sleeve for grease zerks. Fronts got grooves and holes in teh bushings but no grease zerks installed in the arm as I busted the drill bit.

For those looking to do the fronts and are buying replacement front control arms like I did. The Moog high end front LCA's utilize a smaller front bushing metal sleeve than what Ford does. This means you either need to burn the inner metal sleeve out of your stock control arms, or you need to provide your own front metal bushing... I did the latter because access to a machinist who works for peanuts and viable metal stock was available.

Car got aligned today:
-3.0º of camber
-0.01 total toe (read: Zero total toe)
+7.2º of caster on driver side, +7.8 on the passenger side...

Rear alignment, while not adjustable, hasn't changed any:
driver side camber is -0.3º, right side is straight up zero (most likely a pressure difference...), toe is -0.12º total toe (driver side is -0.14º, passenger is +0.02º). Thrust angle is -0.08º

The hunter alignment rack said no steer ahead.

Pretty glad about those alignment numbers although a little more negative camber wouldn't hurt.
Holy mackerel! With those camber specs I hope it's a road race only car or she is gonna tear those inside shoulders apart on your tires bro! :Side note: the rear axle camber being more negative slightly explains the reason why an s197 will tend to steer hard to the right when doing a burnout or launch. More negative camber equals more traction.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Holy mackerel! With those camber specs I hope it's a road race only car or she is gonna tear those inside shoulders apart on your tires bro! :Side note: the rear axle camber being more negative slightly explains the reason why an s197 will tend to steer hard to the right when doing a burnout or launch. More negative camber equals more traction.

My experience with camber suggests that you would be wrong in your assumption that camber, at that level, wears tires out quicker by itself. During Nationals in September I put close to one thousand miles on my Mustang at -3.0º of camber -0.10º of toe and +7.0º of caster on 200 treadwear tires. Most, if not all, of that mileage was highway... and not interesting highway... straight highway. Not even a single hint of extra tire wear.

Toe... will kill tires.

At any rate, I autocross enough that any "wear" from camber is going to be offset at the outside.

As for negative camber equaling traction... not necessarily. Out back, on a live axle car, accelerating in a straight line... I would want as little as possible. For cornering, yes, negative camber is traction and you always want some negative camber at max body roll.

m1neral_GT

forum member
Reaction score
so question for you all... don't flame me for the wrong section here, just as a disclaimer:

I haven't done anything to my mustang in about 8 months (except buy about $4500 in suspension and exterior parts) considering I bought it, drove for a few months and got deployed, storing it in my buddies hobby shop back home. Now finally, Sunday I will be heading home to see my baby

NOW FOR HOW IT PERTAINS TO TODAY..... lol

My old man called me and told he has the gas cap to his grandfather's 65 coupe
I want to somehow incorporate this into my car, but am unsure how, any ideas anyone?

refurbishing suggestions?
keep it gritty?
replace the rear emblem on my trunk with it?

open to any ideas really, I just want to build a generational gap bridge with family ties

if it is a shit idea all together let me know, I have thick skin

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
so question for you all... don't flame me for the wrong section here, just as a disclaimer:

I haven't done anything to my mustang in about 8 months (except buy about $4500 in suspension and exterior parts) considering I bought it, drove for a few months and got deployed, storing it in my buddies hobby shop back home. Now finally, Sunday I will be heading home to see my baby

I want to somehow incorporate this into my car, but am unsure how, any ideas anyone?

keep it gritty?

open to any ideas really, I just want to build a generational gap bridge with family ties

I think this would actually be a good discussion for the Chit Chat section. Or maybe the Pimpin' It section. Sounds like a cool idea either way.

m1neral_GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think this would actually be a good discussion for the Chit Chat section. Or maybe the Pimpin' It section. Sounds like a cool idea either way.

to this end:
moderators by all means move if need be

I am not new to car forums, but i am a bit new posting here... often lurking

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score

keep it gritty?

I have a cap off a 67 that I was trying to do this with on my 05. It will take a lot of work to do this. I don't think the end result will be worth it. But that's just me. I think it would be cool for sure.

Sent from iPhone

m1neral_GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I need to take a lengthy look at it in a few days, take some measurements the whole 9. Thanks for the input though

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score

keep it gritty?

I think it would be a very cool idea and planned to do it on my 06 a few years ago. The issues I ran in to were these:

Old gas caps are much smaller in diameter than the faux cap on the back of our cars.

The faux gas caps are very thin, where the old gas caps are an inch plus thick (not including the center section with the teeth to lock the cap on the car.

I was planning on using a 1969 gas cap which is even bigger than the earlier models and it was about an inch and a half shorter (top to bottom) than the faux cap.

What to do with the key hole that is now exposed?

I think it would be really cool back there and would be very original, I didn't have the tools to do it right so left it alone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back