Where to find a clutch less Alternator

SuperchargedStang

forum member
Reaction score
So my alternator went out, I was using OEM replacements and having no luck fixing my charging issue, I replaced all the cables and went and got a new battery, no luck. and I was going through this headache before I finally realized that the alternator was moved from stock position (I didn't install the supercharger it came on the car when I bought it and I assumed it was in the factory location, stupid me), with the installation of the supercharger. So I was spinning this clutched alternator the wrong direction and generating no power. So, I do not have the tool to remove the stock pulley, nor a impact gun. Does anyone know of a place that sells Alternators that come with a clutch less pulley to begin with to save me the hassle of trying to change out the pulleys? And is the Saleen pulley same diameter as the stock alternator pulley?

Thanks guys!

(this should be in chitchat, Sorry! just realized in wrong forum)

Last edited:

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
I have the right tools and I'm in AZ too. If you're anywhere close to Tucson then I'll be happy to help you out with it. Do you still have the correct saleen pulley from your old altetnator?

Also regarding if it's the same diameter... I'm not sure with the saleens but with my e-force it's a smaller diameter. But more important than that is the pulley stands out further than the factory one to keep the belt alignment correct with the new mounting location. Not sure if saleen is the same way.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have the tool kit as well. I ruined the first tool kit and trashed the alternator before I figured out what I was doing wrong. When removing the pulley, the small 10mm socket in the middle actually goes on the alternator shaft itself. That isn't a bolt and turning it will just end up fucking it up. Hold the center 10mm shaft steady and turn the nut sleeve counter clockwise to remove the pulley.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You can use another modular pulley. For example I used a Navigator pulley that isn't clutched when I did a diy 8 rib belt kit.

SuperchargedStang

forum member
Reaction score
So update, I ordered a PA performance clutch less alternator, and Im still having issues charging, the brand new alternator is only putting out 12.3 volts, and the battery is reading 12.6 when car is off then once it is on, reading same as alternator 12.3... Im at a loss for words and have no clue where to go with this.... Any help would be great.
now all i can think is that something involving connections to the pcm and the voltage regulator not working properly. IDK.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So update, I ordered a PA performance clutch less alternator, and Im still having issues charging, the brand new alternator is only putting out 12.3 volts, and the battery is reading 12.6 when car is off then once it is on, reading same as alternator 12.3... Im at a loss for words and have no clue where to go with this.... Any help would be great.
now all i can think is that something involving connections to the pcm and the voltage regulator not working properly. IDK.

People have problems with PA alternators. When my stock one went out I bought a rebuild from the parts store. Over a year and it's all good plus it has a lifetime warranty.

Did you replace the battery at the same time? You could just need a new battery too.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
My $0.02, I wouldn't get a regular pulley. They have clutched pulleys for a reason.

Moving the alternator shouldn't effect it's charging. As long as the crank pulley is the same size, the regular alternator pulley diameter is perfect. Only an undersized crank pulley or an oversized alternator pulley would cause the alternator to charge less. And that's only at idle. It should still charge fine at higher rpms.

Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here, just walking through the troubleshooting out loud.

If you've been through multiple alternators, batteries, cables, and so forth, I would check to make sure the voltage set point is correct.

You might also check to make sure all your grounds on the harness are good.

I would take the battery and alternator to an Autozone and get them checked. If they come out good, I would get a multimeter and check all the cables to and from the alternator.

SuperchargedStang

forum member
Reaction score
I figured it out. I used that oem alternator harness to see if that would work, and it did, the plug that goes into the alternator that sends out information to the pcm is bad. Its ghetto right now but i have a oem cable streched out to the alternator.. Gonan work on splicing and fitting a new cable tommorow. Thank god, finally figured it all out.
dyzusudu.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My $0.02, I wouldn't get a regular pulley. They have clutched pulleys for a reason.

Moving the alternator shouldn't effect it's charging. As long as the crank pulley is the same size, the regular alternator pulley diameter is perfect. Only an undersized crank pulley or an oversized alternator pulley would cause the alternator to charge less. And that's only at idle. It should still charge fine at higher rpms.

Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here, just walking through the troubleshooting out loud.

If you've been through multiple alternators, batteries, cables, and so forth, I would check to make sure the voltage set point is correct.

You might also check to make sure all your grounds on the harness are good.

I would take the battery and alternator to an Autozone and get them checked. If they come out good, I would get a multimeter and check all the cables to and from the alternator.

A Saleen supercharger requires the alternator to be modified and driven in reverse. The clutched pulley won't work because it's freewheeling in the reverse direction.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
A Saleen supercharger requires the alternator to be modified and driven in reverse. The clutched pulley won't work because it's freewheeling in the reverse direction.

Can't say I knew that. Seems like a bit of a bad design, but oh well.

They do make clutch pulleys that clutch the other direction. The problem with those is the threads on the shaft aren't reversed. You always stand the chance of the pulley coming off completely if somehow the alternator loaded really, really high.

SuperchargedStang

forum member
Reaction score
Well heres an update, go to drive the car to a car show last night and it left me stranded there... the Car was working fine for 2 days, then now without charging system error, no battery light the car just started dying. there has to be a draw of power coming from somewhere and I cant figure it out. One of my gauges were flickering so i disconnected those before thee drive just to be safe, and this only seems to happen at night once the headlights come on and puts more stress on the system. I put in that pa performace alternator, with the pulley they provided on the alternator... Do I have to use the one Saleen supplied on the kit, the only difference was that the PA performance one was just a tad larger. :/ IDK at this point, this is my DD and is becoming a huge pain in the ass.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How old is the battery? Many times both the battery and alternator need to be replaced at the same time.

Mustangfan

forum member
Reaction score
PA alternators are pretty reliable. It sounds like you might have a belt alignment issue or something else. I would have the PA alternator looked at, I'm betting it's not a issue with the alternator, something's wrong with your setup.

SuperchargedStang

forum member
Reaction score
battery is 5 days old tested and fine, the alternator tested today and is bad. the belt is all aligned.. idk what ever to say. the PA performance Alternator made a terrible noise from the beginning, and got worse till eventually I guess it broke. what fries an alternator in 2 hours of driving time...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
PA alternators are pretty reliable. It sounds like you might have a belt alignment issue or something else. I would have the PA alternator looked at, I'm betting it's not a issue with the alternator, something's wrong with your setup.

A lot of people have issues with them. At least on this forum...

Mustangfan

forum member
Reaction score
People have issues with alternators across the board. PA has a lifetime warranty, sent it in, they will warranty it as long as it wasn't an installation issue. Alternators are not that complex, to me it seems like the OP should consider why two alternators have failed in a short period of time.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
A lot of people have issues with them. At least on this forum...

The overwhelming majority of issues with alternators straight out of the box are installation ones. Veeeery few alternators are bad out of the box. I'm talking less than a percent. That was for the company I worked for. I imagine PA is probably even better.

Back