Where to hard wire a radar detector.

Discussion in '2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech' started by Mcduugle, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Mcduugle

Mcduugle Junior Member

I would like to hard wire a radar detector, either on my rear view mirror, through the Lights if possible. Or somewhere on the left side of the dash. Any advice?

2. skwerl

skwerl tree hugger

I ran mine from the headliner over to the passenger side A pillar, then straight down to the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell. I used a fuse tap to add a fused line. I tapped into a keyed circuit so it shut off then the key was off.

Mcduugle and AndrewNagle like this.
  3. AndrewNagle

AndrewNagle forum member

Did exactly as Brian said, I wired mine on the rear view mirror and tucked the wires across the windshield and down the A pillar

Mcduugle likes this.
  4. Iceman62

Iceman62 Bullitt 6005

Nowhere...they're just a cop magnet & will hike your ticket x1000, if stopped & seen. :D

5. Mcduugle

Mcduugle Junior Member

Sounds solid will look into it once my radar arrives. Found a awesome deal BTW, ebay sells refurb Cobra 450 for like $70....

6. Mcduugle

Mcduugle Junior Member

Would I be able to run the radar detector and the Mirror (gentex 657) off of fuse number 4 (power mirrors 5A)?

7. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

Always one in every crowd...
    I've had 100's of saves from my detectors in my driving life and not a single ticket from having a detector that I wasn't going to get anyways. Been using them since I got my license in 1993 and my dad got his first one in 1981.

OP, don't bother with anything made by Cobra, they are junk. If you are on a budget get a Uniden R1 or R3.

Mcduugle and AndrewNagle like this.
  8. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

Time was when Geico would drop you like a hot potato if they found out you had a radar detector, and as far as I know radar detectors are still illegal to use in Virginia. There are, or at least have been, a downside or two to running these things.

Years ago I had one I used for out-of-state trips. Couldn't be bothered the rest of the time.

Norm

9. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

I remember Car & Driver posting an article about Geico equipping a bunch of police forces with the latest and greatest Speed measuing devices and then severely jacking rates on anyone with even a single ticket on their insurance. It was in July 1993 and was labelled "The Geico Gun"

They have had their fair share of controversy.

Government Employees Insurance COmpany
    That alone explains their level of corruption

MrBhp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.