Which clutch to solve high rpm lockout issue? 2011+

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I am looking for feedback from people who suffered from high rpm lockout with their MT82 and if they found a clutch that completely solved the issue.

My car is a street driven (non daily) 2013 Boss 302 with AED tune and 7900rpm rev limit. I have owned it since new and have tried all of the normal 'fixes' - Whiteline transmission bushing, removed clutch assist spring, MGW (1st gen), Blowfish bracket, stainless clutch line and DOT4 - and they didn't fix the over 7k rpm lockout issue. No grinding of gears, just lockout where I have to wait a second or so to engage the next gear.

Then, per a vendor and Spec's recommendations, I tried a Spec Stage 1 clutch, alloy flywheel, and new slave/throwout. Didn't help at all.

So now I am researching other clutches. I contacted McLeod, who suggested the RXT along with their steel flywheel. But Boss owners on another forum are telling me to stay away from the RXT and go with the RST instead. Also have been told the Exedy Hypersingle (which the Boss 302S race teams use) will fix the issue - they are turning 82-8400rpm.

Would really appreciate any comments from people who have gone down this same road. Thank you.

John

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
You only need the RXT if you are throwing down mad power. RST would improve the clutch vs. a Stage 1 (twin vs. single).

Your best bet it probably RST, newer MGW (the one that doesn't need the blowfish), and removal of helper spring.

I don't think there is a 100% way to remove the high RPM lockouts with the MT82 (other than a Tremec conversion), but I was doing fine on stock Clutch/FW, spring removal, and Barton Two-Piece. Still had lockouts, but not often enough to warrant throwing more parts at it. Most of the lockouts I would get were under high lateral loads.

king_13

Reaction score
The MGW shifter will make the biggest different, smooth and extremely precise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
I have lockouts every single time I drive the car. Like, multiple, repeated lockouts. I need a fix. MGW and Blowfish bracket did nothing to help - it's a pressure plate not releasing issue as far as I can tell.

People who shift north of 7k rpm please chime in with what has helped. Thank you.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
GT500 master allegedly has larger cylinder which should move the slave further with a given clutch pedal travel.

I have not been able to confirm yet, planning on doing the swap tomorrow morning.

EliotGT

Reaction score

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I've tried the following at my MT-82 for my 12 GT with Boss intake. Blowfish bracket, Barton shifter, steel braided clutch line. Still can't get into 3rd at over 6.5K. From what I've researched, it's due to the sharing of the master cylinder for the clutch and to fix with a separate clutch reservoir. I read about using one from a GTO. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?950743-Clutch-system-fluid-and-shift-issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gabe did a writeup of it.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127356

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the GT500 clutch reservoir fixed the high rpm lockout problem?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back