whine

matt texass

Reaction score
would gear whine or pinion bearing whine sound like its coming from the tranny inside the car on an automatic? The whining is on decel mostly but some can be heard on accel. Car has 16000 miles on it and it really hasnt been raced that much the trans should not be going out. (never even had nitrous behind it) Im just hoping its not my trans whining.

matt texass

Reaction score
thats what ive been taught through experience that gear whining happens on decel but we will see

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
would gear whine or pinion bearing whine sound like its coming from the tranny inside the car on an automatic? The whining is on decel mostly but some can be heard on accel. Car has 16000 miles on it and it really hasnt been raced that much the trans should not be going out. (never even had nitrous behind it) Im just hoping its not my trans whining.

Well, I have an auto. I used to have a little bit of whine on decel or very slight acceleration--but the thing that concerns me is this---I could easily determine that the whine was coming from the back of the car, not from underneath. Are you sure the sound seems to be coming from the trans? Sounds like the rearend like everyone else has said, but you should be able to easily tell its coming from the rear of the car instead of underneath you.

gas meet foot

clutch, meet other foot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a rear end gear issue to me. Usually they whine when you let off the gas if there is a problem.

/minor thread-jack

Would on-throttle whine ~1500 rpm be the transmission itself, then? I always assumed it was the rear. I have the 5M.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/minor thread-jack

Would on-throttle whine ~1500 rpm be the transmission itself, then? I always assumed it was the rear. I have the 5M.

Possibly. Especially if you hear the sound shift a bit up the drivetrain.

I had a set of 3.73s installed that were installed incorrectly by Keith Craft in Plano. They whined like a mother when I let off the gas. Just a bit of gas would make them stop but as soon as you let off, whine city. Once they whine they will always whine. You can't reset/relash/mesh them all over and expect them to work right. Gears have to be done right the first time.

I took it to HPP and I had Manny replace them for me and they're just fine now. In fact, I absoloutely love the way my car is running right now with the cooler air we have now here in the DFW area and my HPP installed/tuned Saleen!! HPP is the best in Dallas hands down!:clap:

Mike

06GT_Vert

Still Stock
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have someone ride in the back seat or hell for that matter strap under the car. You will get it pinned to where its coming from. GL

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back