Who has replaced their front lower control arms?

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Went to bring the 05 through state inspection today and it failed for ball joints. Shop wanted 650 with parts and labor.

Did some searching on here and it seems like alot of people are swapping to the ford racing arms from the gt 500.

So i ordered a set for 230 shipped from cj pony parts.

Question is do i need to get any other hardware from ford or is it all reusable. I saw on some site it said that some hardware might be one time use.

Anybody that has changed them i assume its pretty straight forward?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
It was very easy. I replaced all the hardware and bushings since I was installing the entire SVT suspension. eh, not true... I bought as much of the FR500 stuff that would fit (within reason) and put the SVT stuff where I couldn't afford the FR500 stuff. Either way, it all bolts on pretty much the same.

If you are doing it in your driveway. Make sure you have an impact wrench. It will save you some cranking.

You are going to need a serious front end allignment when you are done. Make sure you have one on the books for when you are done. I do not recommend driving it annywhere but to the local allignment shop untill it's done.

Last edited:

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
It was very easy. I replaced all the hardware and bushings since I was installing the entire SVT suspension. eh, not true... I bought as much of the FR500 stuff that would fit (within reason) and put the SVT stuff where I couldn't afford the FR500 stuff. Either way, it all bolts on pretty much the same.

If you are doing it in your driveway. Make sure you have an impact wrench. It will save you some cranking.

You are going to need a sirous front end allignment when you are done. Make sure you have one on the books for when you are done. I do not recommend driving it annywhere but to the local allignment shop untill it's done.

Awesome. Thanks spaz. I am taking it right back to the inspection shop so ill have them align it for me there.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Inspection failed due to ball joints....on a '05??? That's a new one to me!!!

As mentioned, replacing the a-arms isn't too bad.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had to change mine at 60K. Not too bad of a job but not a fun one either. An impact gun is a big help. Some of the bolts are a bit hard to get to. The front steering rack needs to be unbolted to get the front bolts out.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Whoa...what a fuckin' minute. Ball joints are NOT a state inspection item. Somebody is trying to fuck you over in a bad way.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Whoa...what a fuckin' minute. Ball joints are NOT a state inspection item. Somebody is trying to fuck you over in a bad way.

If he lives in VA it is. I used to be a state licensed inspector. Yes, there are key inspection points, but per the code of VA and the hand guide, we can fail a car for any reason if we believe there is a saftey issue that could lead to an accident. That includes heavy rusting, loose parts, improperly installed parts, excessively worn items, etc. If you have ever seen a car drop a ball joint a 30 mph or faster, you'll understand why he got flagged.

I failed a guy once because he was being a major ball buster. His tires were at the wear indicators and I wouldn't pass him. He got some new tires and came back telling me what a prick I was for costing him $1200. He had a CB radio speaker bolted to his dash right above the steering wheel, so I failed him again. The new failure was due to obstructed view forward of the driver. The guy pulled it off and through it in the back seat. I am sure he put it right back after he left, but I made my point. and it was legal too.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Inspection failed due to ball joints....on a '05??? That's a new one to me!!!

As mentioned, replacing the a-arms isn't too bad.
I guess "SHIT IT REAL" in VA ! LOL

I'm glad I live in a non smog controlled area. I think I paid $16.00 for my last inspection.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Man, pollution control is a joke the EPA come up with to squeeze more of my paycheck out of me. It sure isn't helping the air quality.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Went to bring the 05 through state inspection today and it failed for ball joints. Shop wanted 650 with parts and labor.

Did some searching on here and it seems like alot of people are swapping to the ford racing arms from the gt 500.

So i ordered a set for 230 shipped from cj pony parts.

Question is do i need to get any other hardware from ford or is it all reusable. I saw on some site it said that some hardware might be one time use.

Anybody that has changed them i assume its pretty straight forward?

I'mm wondering about using these on my car these:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=M3075R&bhcd2=1286123407

Can anyone help me with this set from the FR500C? It says:
*Extensive modifications required for use on production vehicle

What has to be done?

this is good:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337968&postcount=11

I'm about to order up all the goods to make them work. Advice anyone?

shit! I've been reading the results of seaches and now I want the gregg's setup... (it's almost $6K!)
oh well... my Sunday reading is done for now. I'll go do something outside. (PC - "off")

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Those are the same ones I originally installed. The shock tower needs to be modified to perform an alignment. You have to basicly cut the top of the tower out and bolt or weld in a new camber/caster plates. The new arms are shorter to accomidate a lower ride/center of gravity. You also need to change shocks, springs, tie rod ends, etc. This is not for the fant of heart. I would stick to the SVT arms instead. MUCH easier and cheaper.

Last edited:

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Got the A arms on yesterday. For anybody who searches the thread in the future ill post a few comments.

Saying the bolts were tight were an understatement. Well actually the only ones that gave me a problem were the steering rack bolts. By far the hardest to get off.

Be sure you have some big wrenches 18 mm and bigger.

Over all not to bad of a swap with the right tools. Took me like an hour.

Oh and as spaz said alignment was a must. I think my wheel was 45 degreese to the right when i was going straight after wards.

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
The toughest part for me was trying to wiggle the arm where it connects to the k-member into the slot then slide the balljoint into the spindle. It has to be at a damn near even angle to the slot to slide in there. All the while holding the (what felt like) 400 lb spindle in my lap. Everything else was cake.

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Mine slide right in, matter of seconds.

It was a pain with the longtubes though. on the inside passanger side i couldnt get the closed end of the wrench over the nut. had to use the open end and did it a quarter turn at a time.

Not sure why ford put the nut on top. Would make so much more sence if it was on the bottom, with the locking portion on top this way you could hit it with the impact from the bottom

Rubrignitz

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I also have longtubes and you're right there is ZERO clearance for the passenger side CA nut. Takes a lot of patience. That was no problem though. Not sure why those arms fit so tightly on my kmember. Took a lot of wiggling to get it in there which wouldn't be a problem with a way to support the spindle. That spindle kicked my butt.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back