why are my roush 427r front springs smashing coils

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe this is the smashing and banging whenever I drive over some bumps.

r6YHcAg.jpg

07BgN40.jpg

HEzzFNa.jpg

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Those last two coils look really close together, doesn't seem like it would take much to compress them into interference. That isn't right.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
My auto engineers say it is, and that the springs could have a better coating. I'm going to find some sacrificial rubber line to put on the offending area, see how it performs.

Ultimately, coilovers are the solution. Every half assed suspension upgrade comes back to haunt you. I thought I was doing OK since these parts were engineered so close to OEM, I think they even use the Ford shaker table during design.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if it’s from the added weight of the supercharger. When I installed mine I lost a half inch of height on the stock front suspension. I’m wanting to upgraded the struts and shocks with new springs but don’t know what to get.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you put a blower on the car, you should be using springs/dampers spec'd for GT500s. You added over a hundred pounds directly over the front wheels...

07 Boss

Reaction score
Is not that area covered with the spring isolaters. If not just get another isolater and wrap that coil. It won't solve the problem with the springs but it might keep it from making so much noise.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I had my Motorsport P springs on the car I noticed clacking noises from the springs over bumps, and had several coils at the bottom that were in contact with each other when the car was at ride height. I've also noticed that noise has pretty much gone away since I went to linear rate BMR springs. So maybe the issue is related to progressive springs?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I thought the Roush 427 R was supercharged?

I'm not seeing any issues with mine, but I'm running the Roush struts, shocks, and springs and love the way the car handles.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
When I had my Motorsport P springs on the car I noticed clacking noises from the springs over bumps, and had several coils at the bottom that were in contact with each other when the car was at ride height. I've also noticed that noise has pretty much gone away since I went to linear rate BMR springs. So maybe the issue is related to progressive springs?
Entirely likely. Progressive springs and dual-rate springs get their increase in stiffness by letting some of the adjacent coils bottom out against each other. That makes them 'inactive', and taken out of the spring stiffness equation at or below that amount of spring compression.

I wouldn't have expected coil-to-coil contact to generate much noise unless the springs weren't closing up uniformly or gradually starting at the end pair. I can't tell for sure from the pictures how evenly (or not) the coils are closing up.

If you do add any sacrificial rubber sheathing of any kind, start it at the end of the spring. If the rubber represents a 'bump', the coils will try to bend at the ends of the rubber. Even though the rubber will 'squish', the coils will bend ever so slightly. This fatigues the spring metal in that area faster than it would without it being there, risking breakage.

Norm

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, if you put a blower on the car, you should be using springs/dampers spec'd for GT500s. You added over a hundred pounds directly over the front wheels...

The roush springs are designed to handle the weight of a blower. Roush front springs give you a 1/2" drop. An additional 1/2" drop comes from the roush struts. Roush struts are a 1/2" shorter than oem (from bottom of strut..to spring perch). When roush front springs are paired with roush struts, you end up with a 1" front drop. I could push as hard as I could on either front fender, and get zero deflection, doesn't budge, they all do that. If I sat on either fender with my 153 lbs, I still can't feel it deflect it. If it is deflecting at all, it can't be more than 1-2 mm.
(rear roush lowering springs + roush shocks are not as stiff as the front, but still substantial..and provide for a 1.25" rear drop. I would not want the rear combo to be any stiffer. They are 1-2 steps below rock hard).

Roush front springs paired with roush struts is a rock hard combo. Great for smooth roads and hwys... bad news for local shit roads. After a few years, my pass side roush strut sheared clean off. Replaced both front roush struts with oem struts. Front end rose 1/2" with the oem struts. Total front drop is now 1/2". I can now get fender deflection when I push down hard on either fender, sorta a bit ... 'springy'. When I sit on either fender, it deflects a bit. ( The front could be a tad stiffer). Now what I have ended up with is the rear being a lot stiffer the the front.

Roush rear shocks and front struts are both mono tube. I have no clue who makes the Roush mono tube struts + shocks.

I have noticed that the car has bottomed out a few times with the oem front struts installed, even though the car is 1/2" higher. What I really need is a strut that's a tad stiffer than oem. I also have the entire roush suspension package, which includes the roush 37mm non adjustable front sway bar..and solid rear, non adjustable roush 26mm sway bar, etc.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The roush springs are designed to handle the weight of a blower. Roush front springs give you a 1/2" drop. An additional 1/2" drop comes from the roush struts. Roush struts are a 1/2" shorter than oem (from bottom of strut..to spring perch). When roush front springs are paired with roush struts, you end up with a 1" front drop. I could push as hard as I could on either front fender, and get zero deflection, doesn't budge, they all do that. If I sat on either fender with my 153 lbs, I still can't feel it deflect it. If it is deflecting at all, it can't be more than 1-2 mm.
(rear roush lowering springs + roush shocks are not as stiff as the front, but still substantial..and provide for a 1.25" rear drop. I would not want the rear combo to be any stiffer. They are 1-2 steps below rock hard).

Roush front springs paired with roush struts is a rock hard combo. Great for smooth roads and hwys... bad news for local shit roads. After a few years, my pass side roush strut sheared clean off. Replaced both front roush struts with oem struts. Front end rose 1/2" with the oem struts. Total front drop is now 1/2". I can now get fender deflection when I push down hard on either fender, sorta a bit ... 'springy'. When I sit on either fender, it deflects a bit. ( The front could be a tad stiffer). Now what I have ended up with is the rear being a lot stiffer the the front.

Roush rear shocks and front struts are both mono tube. I have no clue who makes the Roush mono tube struts + shocks.

I have noticed that the car has bottomed out a few times with the oem front struts installed, even though the car is 1/2" higher. What I really need is a strut that's a tad stiffer than oem. I also have the entire roush suspension package, which includes the roush 37mm non adjustable front sway bar..and solid rear, non adjustable roush 26mm sway bar, etc.

Interesting, I do not find the Roush springs/struts to be "1-2 steps below rock hard". And most PA roads are total shit. Updating from the V6 springs/shocks w/110K on them, the ride did firm up. But nowhere near what my fox rides like with 800lb front springs and Koni yellows. Now that is a STIFF ride till you are at speed on the track.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Here's something I ran across. These springs would also get the factory isolators installed.springs.jpeg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
That looks like split rubber loom they stuffed over the coils. If you had a source for it, it would be easy to install.... before hand.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back