Why does my friends saleen intake rub a hole in his hoodliner

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is one of the latest photos of mine.

DSC00473.jpg

It turned into a REALLY long saga from Saleen, but the short part of the story is I got it (damaged) in July, they fixed it and then just charged me for it last week out-of-the-blue. I thought I got away with a free hood.

One more shot:

DSC00434.jpg

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would just buy an adjustable one. On cars with modified ride height an adjustable one is required to do a wheel track alignment.

I have the CHE ajustable one, that I had adjusted perfectly to center the axle, but it's hollow construction (vs. the sand-filled, damping stocker), and stiffer bushings made a hollow, lumber-sounding claterring whenever I'd go over large expansion joints or patched/broken pavement, and it plain sounded cheap. Reinstalled the stocker, and it sounds tight again over the same pavement.

This is one of the latest photos of mine.
The Saleen has got to be the most tasteful front body kit on the Stang.
A Saleen front fascia, grill and hood, combined with a GT500 rear bumper fascia and spoiler would make for a very good looking car. Nice color too, Dread53.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I have the CHE ajustable one, that I had adjusted perfectly to center the axle, but it's hollow construction (vs. the sand-filled, damping stocker), and stiffer bushings made a hollow, lumber-sounding claterring whenever I'd go over large expansion joints or patched/broken pavement, and it plain sounded cheap. Reinstalled the stocker, and it sounds tight again over the same pavement.

If the CHE is hollow, can't you take one of the ends off, fill it with playbox sand, and screw it back together to get the same affect? I did that on my Jeep's Pitman Arm before I went to a solid adjustable. I also relocated the the bolt point on the rear bar mount to keep the stock unit and have a good alignment. Lots of measuring before drilling, but it worked...

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks on the color comment, MrC. I originally wanted yellow (this one was in stock) but figured it might be dated after awhile. I will own this car until I die. This color had always been my second choice after yellow.

I have a BMR panhard bar that makes the same nasty sound over hard bumps.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the CHE is hollow, can't you take one of the ends off, fill it with playbox sand, and screw it back together to get the same affect? I did that on my Jeep's Pitman Arm before I went to a solid adjustable. I also relocated the the bolt point on the rear bar mount to keep the stock unit and have a good alignment. Lots of measuring before drilling, but it worked...
Both excellent suggestions; the former actually easier than the later, but the later would be my preference. The thing is, the bolt point would only have to be moved 3/16", which is the difference between the perfectly-adjusted CHE and the stocker.
For the time and expense, I'm thinking about a Watt's link instead. I've seen two offered: the Saleen (about $1000, I think), and another brand that starts with an "L" (can't think of the name).
Bacl top your suggestions, the filling the CHE with sand may be the cheapest/easiest alternative to try. The stocker isn't filled with sand exactly, when I tap it as it sits installed on the car, it sounds like lead shot (birdshot); really small lead balls. I may give that a try as it would not interfere with the threads, and the lead is in of itself a sound-dampner.
Thanks for the suggestion!

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks on the color comment, MrC. I originally wanted yellow (this one was in stock) but figured it might be dated after awhile. I will own this car until I die. This color had always been my second choice after yellow.

I have a BMR panhard bar that makes the same nasty sound over hard bumps.

YW.

After I try the filling-the-bar-with-lead-shot thing, I'll let you know if it worked, and to what extent.

Merry Christmas!

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
icon_hijack.gif

Cool, Good luck...

I used playbox sand cause I had it (two young kids at the time) and I figured once it was set, I wouldn't be making any more changes. I never knew what was in the AM units...Good to know.

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
icon_hijack.gif

Cool, Good luck...

I used playbox sand cause I had it (two young kids at the time) and I figured once it was set, I wouldn't be making any more changes. I never new what was in the AM units...Good to know.
Hey Marc, did the sand-filler work? Did it eliminate the hollow-lumber sound from the panhard bar?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Hey Marc, did the sand-filler work? Did it eliminate the hollow-lumber sound from the panhard bar?

It worked really well. I had two dampeners to help while rock crawling. Not only did the sand help reduce the knocking sound when the wheels would bang around off-road, the extra weight also helped increase the dampening effect I was trying to get.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back