Why does my friends saleen intake rub a hole in his hoodliner

wadman

forum member
Reaction score
Why is my friends Saleen blower rubbing a hole in his hood liner? His car is a 07 gt. His long tubes are also viberating on the frame since his motor build.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Because with the Saleen's it is a crapshoot as to whether or not they will clear. He needs shorter motor mounts.

As for the headers, no idea without looking. Could be an alignment issue.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Because the liner is hanging to low...probably got it wet and it's sagging...LOL JK no idea...

wadman

forum member
Reaction score
He tried the lowered mounts and now his headers viberate on the frame.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did the hood replacement ($1,700 for the Saleen aluminum) and the sucker rubbed worse! If you have anything other than a stock air tube you're pretty much hosed. I had to do some trimming under my new hood to get it to clear. I've got the LT's but also a BMR k-member.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He tried the lowered mounts and now his headers viberate on the frame.
What type of headers? They certainly are not all shaped the same. You failed to mention in your original post that he had tried shorter mounts. What mounts did he try?

Sounds like I'll steer clear of the Saleen if and when I go FI.....
That's kind of a dumb blanket statment...

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
stupid.jpg

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
Sounds like I'll steer clear of the Saleen if and when I go FI.....
my whipple rubs as well, both the pulley, blower top and inlet tube. I took the hoodliner out and thankfully the pulley and blower top doesn't rub the actual hood. Just the inlet tube does a bit, probably only when the motor torques back and forth. I don't think Saleen is the only one that sticks up farther than the factory intake. Doesn't bother me though.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I thought under-hood heat venting and added space for performance parts were the two main benefits that drove the development of cowl induction hoods... why not just buy a good cowl induction hood?

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's kind of a dumb blanket statment...
Hi Hawg: :fu:, oh and :321:

GIG4FUN: Given my experience with mods, and the "side effects" that you sometimes don't find out about until after you do them, regardless of exhaustive questions on this and other excellent forums, I am a little gun-shy of more mods.

If I did a S/C, it would probably be a KB. In fact, although I know all the facts concerning the inneficiency of a Roots (Roush & Magnacharger) vs a Lysholm style (Saleen, Whipple, KB) supercharger, the Roush is a fairly straightforward install with no rubbing issues at all, and for cars under 36000 miles on the ODO, a full powertrain warranty up to the 36000 miles (also available on the Magnacharger).

Rubbing S/C's & hoods, blown belts, bent pulleys....the S/C power adders sound like they're fraught with issues. A twin turbo setup (with the smallest turbo's available for a fast spool-up), seems like a good alternative to me. Then again, on my drive home today I wondered what it would take and cost to drop in the 5.7L aluminum engine from the Toyota Tundra (390 hp/401 ftlbs before tweaking).

There, less of a blanket statement, wouldn't you say Hawg?

Last edited:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi Hawg: :fu:, oh and :321:

GIG4FUN: Given my experience with mods, and the "side effects" that you sometimes don't find out about until after you do them, regardless of exhaustive questions on this and other excellent forums, I am a little gun-shy of more mods.

If I did a S/C, it would probably be a KB. In fact, although I know all the facts concerning the inneficiency of a Roots (Roush & Magnacharger) vs a Lysholm style (Saleen, Whipple, KB) supercharger, the Roush is a fairly straightforward install with no rubbing issues at all, and for cars under 36000 miles on the ODO, a full powertrain warranty up to the 36000 miles (also available on the Magnacharger).

Rubbing S/C's & hoods, blown belts, bent pulleys....the S/C power adders sound like they're fraught with issues. A twin turbo setup (with the smallest turbo's available for a fast spool-up), seems like a good alternative to me. Then again, on my drive home today I wondered what it would take and cost to drop in the 5.7L aluminum engine from the Toyota Tundra (390 hp/401 ftlbs before tweaking).

There, less of a blanket statement, wouldn't you say Hawg?

I think you may be happiest with a Corvette. You "seem" to more of that kind of man. I have had a lot of Mustangs over the years. Someday I will have a nice vette.:rock:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I'll get :banned: for saying :321: to Hawg?

We're getting off topic, but a C6 gen Z06 IS in my future...or another Viper.

The nice sports cars Ive had are a 300ZXTT ('96), a Vette ('99 C5 Coupe) and a Viper ('97 GTS). Had Enron not happened, I would still have the later.

Here are things that come to mind about those cars: The suspension on the Vette sounded like crap going over bumps and uneven pavement. The Mustang's sounds much more solid (the Viper's was too). Wheel hop happened with all 3, less so with the Viper. Of all of them, the Mustang has the most solid structure. The Z was built like a beemer, but the monocoque body had more flex than the Mustang's. The Vette's torsional rigidity sucked! In fact the Viper wasn't much better...they creaked when goin up a driveway at an angle. Front lower fascia clearance was also an issue with all three (Z, Vette, & Viper), not so with the Stang.

I'm quite happy with the Mustang, with rear seats for my twins babies. I have a blast everyday driving it to work and back, and to the pool at noon for my workout. I get to triple digits everyday multiple times. It is what it is and I like and accept it as such. So in the final analysis, I reiterate I'm quite happy with the Stang. Maybe I should manufacture my own mods? A 2 piece aluminum DS that mimicks the design of the stocker? UCA and LCA bushings that reduce wheel hop while not transmitting more NVH to the body? A panhard rod of the correct length (the stocker is 3/16" to long) that retains the sand-filled damper effect of the stocker?

I've heard of a tuner in Houston that does a clean install of the twin turbos, locating them at the exit of the exhaust manifold (not visible from the engine bay), similar to the install of the TT's in a 300ZXTT. That may be the way I eventually go.

Sorry for ranting on, and on, and on!

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you may be happiest with a Corvette. You "seem" to more of that kind of man. I have had a lot of Mustangs over the years. Someday I will have a nice vette.:rock:

Dang, I thought I was part of the community, but I "seem to be a Vette guy"? I'm sure your comment was well intentioned, however.

Another comment on the Vette...I suggest a necessary mod to prevent the suspension from crash/banging is to replace the transverse leaf spring (which I don't believe truly gives you independent suspension, where one wheel's action is isolated from the other), with coil-overs...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
damn 1700 for the hood? i am glad i got my aluminum saleen hood for 800 then haha. just gotta repaint it now

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back