Wife wants a supercharger.. IYHO, which one should I buy?

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
First off, it's a 99% street driven '05 GT that does see some autocross/open track action, but nothing serious. My wife has no horsepower level in mind but also doesn't want to build a forged bottom-end right now or at least until the oem motor checks out. She wants to keep up with my 410w SN95 :) Knowing my wife's driving style, she'd be better off with a positive displacememnt/roots style blower. She wants whoop ass on demand!! [Her exact words] we just aren't sure which is "best" since the market is full of them. Hell, I'm not even familiar with MagnaChargers enough to pass judgement. Aren't Whipple's and Saleen kits prone to heat soaking?

Which kit will allow room to grow without having to change the blower itself? Her ride has light mods, a 5-spd, 3.55's and zero fuel system upgrades. I also supect that I'll be in for some rear suspension mods and perhaps a better clutch on the ancilliary side of things. Also, we have a set of long tubes and Hot Rod cams to install. Speaking of the cams, aren't the HR cams on the blower unfriendly side?

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
For street cars I recommend running a TVS or Roots Improved blower/screws. They run, on average, cooler than Twin Screw blowers do.

If you want to save a few bucks and are not going to build the motor take a look at the Department Of Boost GT450 Stage I, II and III kits. They use take off GT500 blowers (Roots Improved) and are very, very affordable. The Department Of Boost GT450 will make as much as 600hp if you do decide to build the motor. And if you want more than that you can swap the 07-12 GT500 M122 blower for a 13-14 GT500 2.3L TVS and make over 700hp.

If you are looking for a "brand name" kit the Roush TVS is hands down the best PD street blower out there. But make sure you get at least the I think it's Stage II kit with the fuel pump upgrade and the bigger heat exchanger.

All blowers will heat soak. What you want to do is run the setup that will heat soak the least. The two setups above are the coolest running combinations you can buy.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
Roots and twin screw are great but it really sounds like you want to tailor the setup more than you will be able to with a roots or twin screw. Have you completely ruled out a centrifugal blower setup? You can pickup an intercooled centri kit for 3-4k used if not cheaper. As for your question about the hot rods, they aren't going to really benefit greatly but they won't hurt your numbers if you go FI.

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
We definitely aren't ruling anything out at this point but the tropic summer conditions in southern Louisiana are a concern for drive ability.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Have you considered a turbo? You say "whoop ass on demand". Turbos can make the same torque as a supercharger at a much lower boost level. I don't think any of the superchargers on the market for a 3 valve could make, or run, the times I have at 5.5-6#s.

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
Oh, I've considered everything up to and including a turbo. Passed up a Powerhouse kit a few years ago. My friends kit has given him little trouble in 5 years with the exception of a blown oil seal in the hairdryer itself. He also said I shouldn't get one LOL

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with a saleen, no issues for me so far at 500rwhp.
I will try to get close to 600 with the new setup.
As far as fun factor, I still like the 400+ rwhp range.
These have no issues in the "safe" zone which is 500 or less with a stock bottom.
Great street blower.

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a FRPP Whipple that started as non-intercooled (~6psi) and I added the FRPP HO upgrade kit (intercooler ~11psi) and I absolutely LOVE it. The non-intercooled version had horrible heat soak (I saw 185 IAT on one datalog... :omfg: ) but was a nice upgrade over stock. The HO upgrade has been amazing. I can hardly believe how much fun all this power is and I have not had any issues with heat soak like before.

That being said... if the DOB kit was around back when I got the Whipple I would be running that. I like the ability to bolt on a bigger (cooler running) blower when you max out the smaller one. If I max out my 2.3 Whipple I would have to change a LOT to go bigger.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FRPP Whipple. The FRPP tune is fantastic and safe. It has great driveability and the power on demand that your wife wants. I've owned one and driven it. No heatsoak issues at all. I always monitored iats while driving. It has a huge intercooler and the Whipple lobe design runs cooler than others.

I wouldn't be afraid of running a TVS either. Your best bang for the buck is a DOB. You will need to find a competent tuner though. Our own lito fits that bill.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah but the whipple is close to 7k. Thats far too rich for most people's tastes.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Yeah but the whipple is close to 7k. Thats far too rich for most people's tastes.

It should be around $6400 from one of our frpp vendors. It does cost more than most but it's worth it imo. With the frpp tune it's safe with a stock motor. It's also carb legal for those who need that endorsement.

I think a DOB would be fairly safe with a good tune. It's the most cost effective pd blower. From time to time I think about getting one with a 2.9 Whipple. For those who don't know it Jason DOB is also a Whipple distributor. It will also take a GT500 2.3 TVS. I've seen take off TVS blowers with tb, injectors, rails, and intake for under $2k on ebay. Combine that with a DOB manifold kit, fuel upgrade, and tune. The price should still be under $5k for something that's pretty damn close to a Whipple. The improved air intake of the TVS might even make more power per psi.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
It should be around $6400 from one of our frpp vendors. It does cost more than most but it's worth it imo. With the frpp tune it's safe with a stock motor. It's also carb legal for those who need that endorsement.

I think a DOB would be fairly safe with a good tune. It's the most cost effective pd blower. From time to time I think about getting one with a 2.9 Whipple. For those who don't know it Jason DOB is also a Whipple distributor. It will also take a GT500 2.3 TVS. I've seen take off TVS blowers with tb, injectors, rails, and intake for under $2k on ebay. Combine that with a DOB manifold kit, fuel upgrade, and tune. The price should still be under $5k for something that's pretty damn close to a Whipple. The improved air intake of the TVS might even make more power per psi.

We still have GT450 "DIY Kits". That is the most cost effective way to get blown by far. We have added a GT450 "Stage III" Tuner kit which is a complete kit (minus tune) for $4395. Still obviously a fantastic value for 450/450.

The GT450 Manifold will also accept the 13' GT500 TVS2300. And they are making FANTASTIC power. Quite a bit more than the Whipple H.O. and more than the Roush TVS. Our assumption of the extra power is the same as yours, the improved inlet.

The GT450 Manifold will not work with the big Whipple's though. The blower will bolt up to the manifold, but there are problems trying to run the belt (even a 8 rib conversion isn't quite up to the task), no room to mount the alternator, etc, etc, etc. It could be made to work, but it just isn't cost effective.

That's where the R-Spec manifold comes in. It is designed specifically to run the big Whipple's. The alternator stays in the stock location, it has a dedicated 10 rib supercharger drive, the engine cooling is completely revised/improved (ala GT500) for more flow, more block pressure and balanced cylinder head temps. The bottom of the manifold where it bolts to the cylinder heads is made from composite which eliminates heat transfer from the motor into the manifold, which drops IAT's and heat soak considerably. It's nasty trick. The Gen 2 (Gen 1 is on my car) prototype is being machined right now. They should be on sale in 5-6 weeks.

After the R-Spec is in full production we are going to work on making it an option to run the 13' GT500 TVS2300 too.

Lots of cool stuff coming out over the next year.:beer:

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
You mention room to grow.

I'm selling my M90. That would be a good entry level blower.
When you're ready to grow, for $3500 you can upgrade it to the TVS1900.
Forum member "skwerl" is getting over 650RWHP out of his 1900.
Keep in mind, to "grow"...you're going to have to forge.
At present, I'm getting 436RWHP out of my M90 on stock internals.

If you're interested in my M90...shoot me a PM.

That's where the R-Spec manifold comes in. They should be on sale in 5-6 weeks.

If you're 5-6 weeks out, you should have a price by now. I'll be waiting for your PM.

:thumb2:

Last edited:

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
image.php

Yes, I'm fully aware of the "safe-zone" for 3V's, I've seen the aftermath of "what if we...." on a few occasions. Exactly why I'm paying the car off first ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back