Wife wants a supercharger.. IYHO, which one should I buy?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
FRPP Whipple. The FRPP tune is fantastic and safe. It has great driveability and the power on demand that your wife wants. I've owned one and driven it. No heatsoak issues at all. I always monitored iats while driving. It has a huge intercooler and the Whipple lobe design runs cooler than others.

I wouldn't be afraid of running a TVS either. Your best bang for the buck is a DOB. You will need to find a competent tuner though. Our own lito fits that bill.
Could it be that living in Washington with the differences in climate that you aren't seeing a whole lot of heatsoak compared to the person in TX?
Still voting Saleen fuck yo Whipple.

Aren't the Saleen's limited in what they can do and get heat soaked fairly easily? I do recall an entire thread about ways to fight it with the Saleen blower a little while back. But it sure does look the best out of all the options lol.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Aren't the Saleen's limited in what they can do and get heat soaked fairly easily? I do recall an entire thread about ways to fight it with the Saleen blower a little while back. But it sure does look the best out of all the options lol.

I thought the Saleen blowers weren't being made anymore either??? I would rather not run a blower that there isn't was much support for.

And yes, the Saleen blowers top of fairly early compared to other blowers with the same displacement.

Saleen blowers use a very, very tight/small IC too. They are not as easy to keep cool as other designs.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
If you're 5-6 weeks out, you should have a price by now. I'll be waiting for your PM.

:thumb2:

We won't have exact pricing until the Gen 2 prototype is done being machined (it's I the machines right now). I have an idea on pricing, but at this point it is only a guess. And I don't like guessing about stuff like that.:thumb:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Go centri.
low boost for daily driving and cool iat's.

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
I do like the centrifugals boost building with RPMs trait and the ease of removal [if need be] but the off idle torque of the rotts/positive displacement type is super appealing to my wife.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Go centri.
low boost for daily driving and cool iat's.

The PD vs. Centri thing is like the blonde, brunette, redhead thing.

They are all great, and they all get the job done. But one does it for you a little more than the others. It’s about what gets you excited. On paper they all have their advantages/disadvantages.

My preference for street cars is to run a PD blower because I enjoy nothing more than smoking the tires off at will. If I were building a strip car I would probably go Centri because they are more suited to that environment.

There is no “wrong” answer.

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
She's more into cruising twisty back roads and embarassing guys in front of their friend's at redlights then anything. It's quite enteraining actually.

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
I love my vortech kit - conservative tune and still plenty of power non-intercooled. With the 4.10 gear it boosts quick and is safe. I am completely happy with it but didn't want race car again either. Fast enough.

Nick@JDM

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The Roush TVS Phase 2 kit is by for the best bang for the buck.
http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/Ford-Mustang-Supercharger-2005-2009.html

The kit comes with the appropriate fuel system upgrades (GT500 pumps) and is a better head unit all around than the Whipple 2.3 although they are very comparative.

This is our supercharger of choice now that the Saleen blowers are MIA. We have a 3V car that runs in the 8s with this supercharger! It can be street driven like you are looking for but has the potential for big power if that time ever comes.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151960615980139.1073741887.121068375138&type=3

I can get you a killer deal on this kit. Just call or PM me for pricing ; )

The kit comes with a calibration from Roush witch is fine, but if you want more power and throttle response we offer custom tuning that is phenomenal for this kit.

Let me know!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Another vote for a TVS here. I started off with an M90 which was awesome fun then upgraded to the TVS1900 when I built the motor. All my tuning and support has been through VMP Tuning and they carry a full line of TVS blowers. They are built by Roush specifically for VMP with some upgrades over the standard Roush units. Mostly bigger intakes and a modified snout for easier pulley swaps.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I thought the Saleen blowers weren't being made anymore either??? I would rather not run a blower that there isn't was much support for.

And yes, the Saleen blowers top of fairly early compared to other blowers with the same displacement.

Saleen blowers use a very, very tight/small IC too. They are not as easy to keep cool as other designs.

If your going to spin it as high as I am, then yes they'll heat up.
But at 500rwhp I have no problems with heat.
Push 600rwhp and definitely going to have some areas to address.

As for no support, I have one being rebuilt as we speak at PSE and 281 motorsports keeps the thousands of saleens in good working order.

Are you a salesman from DOB?
because I can't get any info of that site.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
The PD vs. Centri thing is like the blonde, brunette, redhead thing.

They are all great, and they all get the job done. But one does it for you a little more than the others. It’s about what gets you excited. On paper they all have their
My preference for street cars is to run a PD blower because I enjoy nothing more than smoking the tires off at will. If I were building a strip car I would probably go Centri because they are more suited to that environment.

There is no “wrong” answer.
true, its all about preference.

She's more into cruising twisty back roads and embarassing guys in front of their friend's at redlights then anything. It's quite enteraining actually.
Just choose one:)
I love my vortech kit - conservative tune and still plenty of power non-intercooled. With the 4.10 gear it boosts quick and is safe. I am completely happy with it but didn't want race car again either. Fast enough.

Sounds fun!

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score

As for no support, I have one being rebuilt as we speak at PSE and 281 motorsports keeps the thousands of saleens in good working order.

because I can't get any info of that site.[/QUOTE

To get 600rwhp out of a Saleen blower is not easy. Ive only seen(2) S197s with Saleen blowers spin the rollers locally. Neither car came close to 600rwhp. There are better options as stated above. Can you even buy a Saleen blower anymore?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score

because I can't get any info of that site.[/QUOTE

To get 600rwhp out of a Saleen blower is not easy. Ive only seen(2) S197s with Saleen blowers spin the rollers locally. Neither car came close to 600rwhp. There are better options as stated above. Can you even buy a Saleen blower anymore?

600 RWHP is definately not easy.
Were those 2 cars trying for 600rwhp?

There are a few blowers out there that can do it with ease.
It just depends on what the op is truly looking for, if the end game is 600+ then no way would I recommend the saleen.
The saleen is a lyshom 2.3, look around, it is very well established company.
The thing with the saleen is it is a purpose built street blower.
Look at it, It is well designed and not cobbled together with take off scrap.

500 rwhp or less this is a great system, that is it bottom line.

Can you strap on a 3L+ whipple on a 3v, yes
Will you use it to it's potential, that's the question.
Op stated what they were looking for and I'm sure they will find it.

And ofcourse I am pro saleen, that's why I'm building a second setup.
My car was a riot to drive @ 420rwhp once it got to 500rwhp things became very different a lot of other things needed to be looked at and addresssed.
Now I am going farther and I have alot of others thing to consider.

Purpose built bolt on street blowers are just that.
There is a range in which they were designed to operate.
If you want 450+rwhp, be prepared for shock of supporting systems to handle that.
Whipple, kenne bell and all the centri blower manufacturers have multiple kits for multiple applications.
Saleen built one, a gorgeous bolt on 2.3L blower great for the street.
Being able top strap a huge whipple on the top of the 3v doesn't make all the other setups useless.
Well unless you are going for the highest rwhp 3v or sub 9 sec 1/4 mile times.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
because I can't get any info of that site.

I am the owner.

The site is under construction. If you would like some info PM or email me and I will send you all the info you can handle.:thumb:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
...... look around, it is very well established company.
The thing with the saleen is it is a purpose built street blower.
Look at it, It is well designed and not cobbled together with take off scrap.

500 rwhp or less this is a great system, that is it bottom line.

Purpose built bolt on street blowers are just that.
There is a range in which they were designed to operate.

Saleen built one, a gorgeous bolt on 2.3L blower great for the street.

There are two other options out there that meet all of the above requirements, make fantastic purpose built street blowers, run cooler, are more reliable, are packaged better, have more support and in one case cost far less money. The Saleen is not the only blower out there that is suited to the job of street/daily driver blower.

Please don't think I am taking a dump on the Saleen blowers. They have a lot going for them. I'm only trying to point out that they are not the only blower in the street/daily driver market segment worth looking at.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
DOB kit sounds pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind knowing more about pricing myself.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I am the owner.

The site is under construction. If you would like some info PM or email me and I will send you all the info you can handle.:thumb:

Thank you gmitch.
When will the site be up and running?
I have committed to a project already but Linking the already mentioned packages available onto your website once its done will provide welcomed options to others here.
But I am curious as to what is contained in the kits you offer.
pm sent.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back