Will new wheels and tires rub on lowered car?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I can tell you that it's going to be close up front - after running a comparison plot between your proposed combination and my existing "track set" (which has very tight strut clearances) it's looking like you'll probably need thin spacers for tire to strut clearance (I'm guessing 1/4" or 6mm, although 1/8" or 3mm *might* be enough). Which will probably require replacing the existing studs with longer ones so that the lug nuts have enough thread engagement (you want to have at least ten full turns of the nut for 1/2-20 wheel studs).

Since you'll still have your existing wheels, it's not like you'll be unable to drive the car if you find you need spacers and longer wheel studs.

I'm not trying to discourage you here. Better that you know in advance what could happen (and how to deal with it) than find out when you go to mount everything up.

Norm

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
The Velgen 10.5" wide ET45 wheel will be on the very edge of fitting. Before you mount the tires, you'll want to check the clearance between the wheels inner lip and the strut body. If there's an interference fit, the tolerance can be increased by loosening the spindle to strut hardware and pulling the spindle away from the strut then tightening the hardware. IIRC you have a 2005 and this would be the best time to replace the OEM course pitch threaded hardware with the newer OEM fine pitch threaded hardware. If moving the spindle away from the strut doesn't open the wheel to strut gap, you'll need a small spacer on the hub in order for the wheel to fit and clear the strut body.
You're going to have a little bit of poke at the front with this setup and you can reduce this with a set of caster/camber plates and dialing in -1.75° to -2° of camber.

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
Finally made up my mind for good. Going to order before I change my mind again. Going with 285 35 19 all around on 10.5” Velgen wheel with 45 mm offset. Going with nitto nt555 g2 in the front and nt555rII drag radials in the rear.

I’ve learned a lot from everybody. Thank you so much. You’ve saved me a lot of money. I’ve learned that the square set up will handle better. Ive also learned that 20” wheels aren’t great for performance and handling. Hopefully both the front and back will fit with my 1” lowering kit.

I will order this setup on Monday from American renegade and a local tire dealership. If you think this won’t fit please pm me or let me know. Again. Thank you guys so much for your help. It means the world to me.
Subbed for pics when you get them put on

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back