Will new wheels and tires rub on lowered car?

DBcooper

Reaction score
A 305 on a 11 with ET 52-56 will fit the rear without rubbing.
A 285 on a 10 with ET 42-45 will fit the front without rubbing and no spacers needed.
Forgestars, APEXs and several other brands can be had in those sizes and offsets.
If you're hooked on the Velgens, then you're stuck with what they offer. If you're hooked on Nitto tires, you're limiting yourself since there are many other sticky brands on the market.

Several 18" wheels will fit many big brake kits, including 15" rotor setups on S197 Mustangs and 19s clear by an even larger margin. The design of the wheels barrel and spokes are the determining factor. Typically, if they are designed to clear the GT500 15" brakes, they will also clear most aftermarket brake setups.

Baer's website states the Pro+ brake setup will clear most 18"+ wheel designs.
Baer's website even has templates to determine if a certain wheel will clear the rotor/caliper setup.

thank you for the input. I’m pretty much a newb and trying to learn all I can. I appreciate your input

DBcooper

Reaction score
Nitro Invo is a horrible tire. No traction if you're putting down any power.
Had them in a 285/30/20 on the back of the wife's Shelby when it was at about 540 rwhp. They spun if she even breathed on the gas pedal.

thank you for real world input. I’m looking for a 285 or 295 tire that I can drive on the street with decent traction and will fit on 20” wheel. Do you have any suggestions? Tire longevity isn’t an issue. I want something that will hook fairly well and still be able to drive on the street. Thanks!

DBcooper

Reaction score
I’m not sold on nitto tires by any means. I’ve had good luck with them in the past, and that’s why I’m kind of a fanboy. As far as the wheels, I really like the looks of the Velgen split 5s in gunmetal on my black S197. But I’m always open to a similar alternative. Thanks!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
thank you for real world input. I’m looking for a 285 or 295 tire that I can drive on the street with decent traction and will fit on 20” wheel. Do you have any suggestions? Tire longevity isn’t an issue. I want something that will hook fairly well and still be able to drive on the street. Thanks!

If it doesn't see rain (or just occasional very light stuff), the Nitro 555R or the Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. Both are drag radials.
The Nitro has a new version starting to ship, I think they call it the 555R 2
It's supposedly much improved in the wet-traction department.

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
I searched forever when I was looking at wheels/tires when I came to fitment etc. I noticed there were more options when I looked at 285 or 305 compared to 295. How much hp/tq is your car making? If you’re not making a ton any decent tire shouldn’t have a problem hooking fairly decent.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Gabe's comment about rain is spot on.
You also need to consider the ambient temps that you'll be driving in as well. Most soft compound tires (summer only designs) don't work well when the temps drop below 45F as the compound hardens and will just spin-up as opposed to hooking-up.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I’m not sold on nitto tires by any means. I’ve had good luck with them in the past, and that’s why I’m kind of a fanboy. As far as the wheels, I really like the looks of the Velgen split 5s in gunmetal on my black S197. But I’m always open to a similar alternative. Thanks!
Nitto's 'Invo' is an old tire as tires go (2011), and it wasn't all that great to begin with. That's been a consistent theme with that brand. Certainly for their street-intended tires, Nitto's popularity hinges on price and appearance more than performance, and the big online resellers (I'm looking at you, AM) simply took that and ran with it.

To me, 20" wheels work against lowering by however much larger diameter your tire choice ends up being. Here, a 295/35-20 is over an inch taller than any of the S197 Mustang's OE tire sizes. Half of that increases the ground clearance (that you're presumably trying to reduce with the lowering), and the other half uses up tire to fender clearance (that the lowering might end up needing). If 20" is non-negotiable, 295/30-20 would be a better choice, diameter-wise, than 295/35-20. Not as good for sidewall height and resistance to pinch-flatting, though. I'd still take another look at what tires are available in 19" sizes.

Norm

DBcooper

Reaction score
If it doesn't see rain (or just occasional very light stuff), the Nitro 555R or the Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. Both are drag radials.
The Nitro has a new version starting to ship, I think they call it the 555R 2
It's supposedly much improved in the wet-traction department.

Thank you. Really like the looks of the 555's

DBcooper

Reaction score
Nitto's 'Invo' is an old tire as tires go (2011), and it wasn't all that great to begin with. That's been a consistent theme with that brand. Certainly for their street-intended tires, Nitto's popularity hinges on price and appearance more than performance, and the big online resellers (I'm looking at you, AM) simply took that and ran with it.

To me, 20" wheels work against lowering by however much larger diameter your tire choice ends up being. Here, a 295/35-20 is over an inch taller than any of the S197 Mustang's OE tire sizes. Half of that increases the ground clearance (that you're presumably trying to reduce with the lowering), and the other half uses up tire to fender clearance (that the lowering might end up needing). If 20" is non-negotiable, 295/30-20 would be a better choice, diameter-wise, than 295/35-20. Not as good for sidewall height and resistance to pinch-flatting, though. I'd still take another look at what tires are available in 19" sizes.

Norm

I'm definitely not against 19" wheels as long as my brakes fit. I'm starting to realize that 20" is not the way to go. I could go 19x10.5 in the rear on 285 35 19s. Thanks a bunch for your help.

DBcooper

Reaction score
I searched forever when I was looking at wheels/tires when I came to fitment etc. I noticed there were more options when I looked at 285 or 305 compared to 295. How much hp/tq is your car making? If you’re not making a ton any decent tire shouldn’t have a problem hooking fairly decent.

It's really overwhelming. I'm hoping for 650 to the wheels when I'm done

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
As Norm mentions, 20s are a compromise for several reasons.

Based on the driving style you've mentioned and power levels you're aiming for, I'd recommend 285/35s on 19x10 ET42 wheels for a square setup. Forgestar CF5V are similar to the Velgen VMB5 and available in a wider range of widths/offsets and colors. Bridgestone RE-71R is an exceptional tire in many aspects and available in 285/35s among other sizes.
Should you desire a staggered stance, up the rear to a 19x11 ET55 with 305/30s.
The above tire sizes are also available in the Nitto NT555G2 (street) and NT01 (track) lineup if you're married to the brand.

Here's a shot of my Mustang with 19x10 ET42 Forgestar CF5 and 285/35s in a square setup looking down the side. Nice flush fit and no poke.
i-m5dhWcp-X2.jpg

i-btCQvqD-X2.jpg

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
It's really overwhelming. I'm hoping for 650 to the wheels when I'm done
It is overwhelming lol. My main thing was I didn’t want the rear to poke and my 20x11 50mm fit exactly flush with the top of the quarter panel.

B9404663-7ECC-4024-8522-00204033B8FC.jpeg

13516D12-F362-4AF9-B591-BD29945A5201.jpeg

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
OP, you're coming at this a little backwards. The best advice I've seen on choosing wheels and tires is that unless you are focused solely on how it looks, it's far easier and better to start by choosing the tires you want to use and then select your wheels from there.

10" wide with 285mm tires are an easy button. 11" wide with 305 is very doable but requires a little more careful preparation, particularly if you want to run a square setup.

DBcooper

Reaction score
As Norm mentions, 20s are a compromise for several reasons.

Based on the driving style you've mentioned and power levels you're aiming for, I'd recommend 285/35s on 19x10 ET42 wheels for a square setup. Forgestar CF5V are similar to the Velgen VMB5 and available in a wider range of widths/offsets and colors. Bridgestone RE-71R is an exceptional tire in many aspects and available in 285/35s among other sizes.
Should you desire a staggered stance, up the rear to a 19x11 ET55 with 305/30s.
The above tire sizes are also available in the Nitto NT555G2 (street) and NT01 (track) lineup if you're married to the brand.

Here's a shot of my Mustang with 19x10 ET42 Forgestar CF5 and 285/35s in a square setup looking down the side. Nice flush fit and no poke.
i-m5dhWcp-X2.jpg

i-btCQvqD-X2.jpg

I like the sound of a square setup. I figured a 285 35 19 would rub on the front when turning with my 1" drop. If not, that would definitely be the way to go.

DBcooper

Reaction score
OP, you're coming at this a little backwards. The best advice I've seen on choosing wheels and tires is that unless you are focused solely on how it looks, it's far easier and better to start by choosing the tires you want to use and then select your wheels from there.

10" wide with 285mm tires are an easy button. 11" wide with 305 is very doable but requires a little more careful preparation, particularly if you want to run a square setup.

You're right. Definitely came at this backwards. Looks take a backseat to function for me

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
You've got a real nice setup there.
Thanks. I kept searching fb marketplace and found some forged 50th anniversary Shelby super snake wheels brand new for a whole lot cheaper than buying them from Shelby.

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
I like the sound of a square setup. I figured a 285 35 19 would rub on the front when turning with my 1" drop. If not, that would definitely be the way to go.

285/35/19 square will not rub anywhere if set up properly. You want approx. 10" rim with ~43mm offset.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

My Mustang sits about 1.5" lower at the front and there is no rub going lock to lock with 285/35s on 19x10s

DBcooper

Reaction score
Finally made up my mind for good. Going to order before I change my mind again. Going with 285 35 19 all around on 10.5” Velgen wheel with 45 mm offset. Going with nitto nt555 g2 in the front and nt555rII drag radials in the rear.

I’ve learned a lot from everybody. Thank you so much. You’ve saved me a lot of money. I’ve learned that the square set up will handle better. Ive also learned that 20” wheels aren’t great for performance and handling. Hopefully both the front and back will fit with my 1” lowering kit.

I will order this setup on Monday from American renegade and a local tire dealership. If you think this won’t fit please pm me or let me know. Again. Thank you guys so much for your help. It means the world to me.

Back