Will there will be a run on S197 cars shortly?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Apparently in California, they are not building any new gas stations. We have already lost several gas stations here in town, due to development. And none of em have been replaced. 2 stroke gas powered weed whackers and leaf blowers are soon to be banned, followed by 4 x stroke lawn mowers.

Laga

Reaction score
Apparently in California, they are not building any new gas stations. We have already lost several gas stations here in town, due to development. And none of em have been replaced. 2 stroke gas powered weed whackers and leaf blowers are soon to be banned, followed by 4 x stroke lawn mowers.
Only California City had stopped new gas stations. No statewide ban.
While there is a bill to stop the sale of 2stroke lawn equipment, it has not passed yet.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
During the recent heat wave here on the west coast, Alberta provincial government was pleading with folks to limit their electrical power usage. If Alberta can't handle a meager 25% increase in electrical consumption, how the hell are they gonna handle a 300% increase in consumption with 100% EV usage ??? Here in British Columbia, we also had a 25% spike in electrical consumption, but had plenty of reserve power...just. To convert to 100% EV, would require a complete 100% rebuilding of the grid, complete with 25 kv, 3 phase power going up every residential street...and quadrupling xfmrs on every street. A ton of nuke power plants would have to be built. It would be a 40-75 year mega project.
Where did you hear that the Alberta provincial government was pleading with folks to limit their electrical power usage? From the NDP and tree hugger loving news providers? I live in Alberta & there was no pleading here. I think it is just the typical BC hype putting down Alberta because our power is mostly generated by natural gas & not hydro.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you hear that the Alberta provincial government was pleading with folks to limit their electrical power usage? From the NDP and tree hugger loving news providers? I live in Alberta & there was no pleading here. I think it is just the typical BC hype putting down Alberta because our power is mostly generated by natural gas & not hydro.

It was all over CBC TV international, and also CBC news....and CBC radio, CTV + global tv. Dunno how you missed it. It was in the back east newspapers too, like Globe and mail.

California is doing the same thing yesterday. They had this female rep on from PG+E on CBC last night, pleading for folks not to fire up their dishwashers, laundry etc, till after 9 pm.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-west-broil-and-burn-wildfires

Power has been cut off in some areas. Check out the comments below the article. They USED to have nuke power plants..but now shut down. Along with shut down coal and gas plants. Replaced with solar and wind... which are not reliable. Then they wonder why the brownouts, rolling black outs etc. 100% EV's...yeah, gimme a break. Pie in the sky. AC comes 1st.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Here in BC, central air conditioning, heat pumps, etc, sales and enquires have increased by a whopping 575% ! Every HVAC company is running flat out. That heat wave was the final straw.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I love it, it's 35C every day where I am now. Soaking with humidity, unbearable! The crops are all dead LOL... one rainfall event so far this year.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was all over CBC TV international, and also CBC news....and CBC radio, CTV + global tv. Dunno how you missed it. It was in the back east newspapers too, like Globe and mail.
Asking people to limit use during peak hours isn't pleading. It was mentioned on the news but it wasn't made out to be as earth shattering as you made it sound.

Suecra

Reaction score
I saw that car on Craiglist back in February in Mobile, AL and contacted the owner to go and see it. Long story short, I couldn't make it in time before they sold it. The original owner wanted $18K and it sold for $25k? They made a decent profit on that one. I'm glad I didn't go see it now because all that corrosion on the aluminum and rust on the axle would have turned me off on it.
Most sra on s197 show some rust unless its a gt500, only the housing is protected. It's usually just surface rust.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Asking people to limit use during peak hours isn't pleading. It was mentioned on the news but it wasn't made out to be as earth shattering as you made it sound.

If they run out of power, no big deal, you end up with the 30 min rolling blackouts....standard procedure.
Dunno about Alberta, but after the 4 day heatwave here in BC, everybody and their dog is installing a full bore HVAC setup. And they are all being sized to handle 42 C (108 F) here in Victoria. That alone will bump up the power demand by a bunch.

Toss in 100% EV cars..and poof, bye bye grid. 9 x homes hanging off of just 1 x 50 kva xfmr. And we all have...'200 amp service'..which is total bs of course. The 50 kva xfmr is only good for 200 amps period.
Meanwhile 2 x cars per home = 18 cars in total. 18 x EV cars, all sucking 6.3 kw all night long = 113.4 kw = disaster. Toss in AC requirements + normal electrical consumption in the home, and do the maths. The grid would have to be quadrupled to handle that load. That's a whopping 400% increase.

Meanwhile the greens, NDP, and raging grannies, local university students, enviro freaks, were all dead against the site C damn, that is currently under construction. "we have plenty of excess power". It was 70% completed when the NDP gained power...and they wanted it shut down..and asap. They even made that a campaign promise. In the end, it was deemed too expensive to shut down, plus the impending lawsuits from contractors etc, so it's still being built.

To handle a 400% load increase, they are gonna have to build 3 x more site C hydroelectric damns + 2 x nukes to even get close to reality. They (left wingers) all mean well, but have zero clue as to how simple grade school math works. And no, ur not gonna run any of this on solar or wind.

And the massive loss on tax revenue from declining sales of gasoline will result in massive increases in the annual car registration and licensing. The left wingers have a hate on for natural gas usage too, they want it shut down. Homes here in town that have 100% electric heat, + hot water, typ monthly bill is $500.00 Mine is $37.00 per month, then the small natural gas bill. $20.00 in summer (hot water)..and aprx $100.00 in winter (heat + hot water). BC Hydro sez if the gas line wasn't run over to Vancouver island back in 1992, the existing grid on Vancouver island would have been long gone maxed out.

Last edited:

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Im guessing you’re ‘that guy’ in the neighborhood who always has some new car or project sitting outside. Lol

Luckily I am “the mustang guy”, and my neighbors are cool. My HOA is very strict, otherwise I might have a project parked in the street.

33C16322-1616-4D31-A618-83801195CA53.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back