Won't go into gear.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW when I blew my stock clutch (it came out in about 10 pieces) on a hard 2-3 upshift at 120k miles my synchro's went with it the exact same time. Didn't know I blew the synchro's till after I put a new clutch in. My problems we're not as bad as you're describing, mine only grinded gears like a tractor when going into 2nd or 3rd but I could still drive the car normally, I just couldn't push it. Drove it that way for about a week until I could locate a used low mileage TR3650 from a salvage yard for $350 bucks.

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
After market clutches on some S-197 Mustangs need a Shim behind the Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing to insure proper release, after my last clutch install my 2006 started to move with the clutch to the floor prior to that it was getting a little hard to get in gear added the Shim and it's been ok ever since. I would check the Clutch Cylinder under the dash first and if it's ok it either needs a Shim or the Hydraulic Throw out bearing is hanging up. My Clutch when installed was fine I put everything in new flywheel included after 5 months or so is when my problem showed up and was told that just that few thousands wear on the flywheel caused the distance problem for release bearing, Thus add the shim it can also happen on a new install. Ram Clutches makes a Shim and there are a few others. Ram item #-598 Ram Hydraulic Slave Cylinder Spacer .156" Thick Steel-S197. Good Luck

Nstaley

Reaction score
Figured it out. When we torqued down the clutch and pressure plate, the bolts came lose and it was so lose that it wouldn't disengage. No idea how we used lock tight and torqued to spec. Was very odd. But that wS the problem

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving the old thread, but i realized why would i create new one. Got the same issue yesterday, new clutch, flywheel, throwout and pilot installed with motor swap. Started the car and realized it does not go into any gear, with car off it shifts normally. Clearly clutch doesnt disengage. TR3650 - mcleod stock style throwout, mcleod super street pro organic clutch kit, mcleod lightened steel flywheel. Kit didnt come with any shims, everything seems like oe replacement. Since shop was installing it, they will drop the trainy and see what the hell they did wrong. Pedal felt good, and was bled.
PS if you have similar issues DO NOT start the car in a gear because it will launch forward, ask me how i know. Thank god i caught it and it was an opened area

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back