Won't go into gear.

Nstaley

Reaction score
Okay, I'm getting pissed, been trying to fix for 2 weeks now. Got a new clutch (Mach 350 stage 1 with hydraulic TOB) did the whole clutch install correct. Bench bled the clutch the clutch is great in feeling. For some reason it doesn't disengage. I try to put it in any gear and it won't (with the car on) but with the car off it goes right in, I start it up and it goes without me even touching the gas. What do I have to check because I even sent back the clutch and got a brand new one and same problem. What should I check if it's not my slave or TOB? Need help asap!!

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board.
You're description is a little light on clarity. If I read this right, when the engine is running, you can not change gears or if you start the car in neutral, you can not put the transmission into any gear. Engine off, you can change gears. Correct?
What year Mustang? What transmission? What flywheel? Why are you replacing the clutch? Is the throw out bearing stock? Explain what you mean by "bench bled the clutch". Did you replace the pilot bearing?
Until you answer the above questions, this is where to start. The clutch is not disengaging the engine power to the transmission. The input shaft on the transmission is still spinning when you depress the clutch pedal. If you say that the clutch pedal feels correct, the possible reason here are:
-the the clutch disk is getting hung up on the flywheel or pressure plate.
-The input shaft is binding to the pilot bearing.
I can think of other scenarios but they all involve removing the transmission. If you are sure that you installed the clutch right and it is correct for the application, I would look closer at the slave or throw out bearing.

Nstaley

Reaction score
Welcome to the board.
You're description is a little light on clarity. If I read this right, when the engine is running, you can not change gears or if you start the car in neutral, you can not put the transmission into any gear. Engine off, you can change gears. Correct?
What year Mustang? What transmission? What flywheel? Why are you replacing the clutch? Is the throw out bearing stock? Explain what you mean by "bench bled the clutch". Did you replace the pilot bearing?
Until you answer the above questions, this is where to start. The clutch is not disengaging the engine power to the transmission. The input shaft on the transmission is still spinning when you depress the clutch pedal. If you say that the clutch pedal feels correct, the possible reason here are:
-the the clutch disk is getting hung up on the flywheel or pressure plate.
-The input shaft is binding to the pilot bearing.
I can think of other scenarios but they all involve removing the transmission. If you are sure that you installed the clutch right and it is correct for the application, I would look closer at the slave or throw out bearing.

Correct, 08 mustang GT, 3650 Transmission, stock flywheel, I'm replacing it because it went out when I was driving. Just stuck to the floor and wouldn't depress. TOB is not stock no. Bench bleeding on a new car since it doesn't have a bleed valve you hand push the slave to get all the air out by hand. I did replace the pilot bearing yes. I have taken off the trans so many times to correct all of the following you have said. Nothing has worked at all. When pushing in the clutch from a top and looking underneath you can see it release and push on the fingers just fine. It is installed correctly. I was wondering if I had to adjust my clutch cable. If that would do anything because it is an aftermarket clutch?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I had to adjust my clutch cable. If that would do anything because it is an aftermarket clutch?

:thud:

no cable in the hydraulic set up.

who's slave? maybe it needed a shim?

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same problem come to find out I put the clutch disc in backwards. I would verify that you put the disc on the correct way. it can be assembled both ways without knowing it. But the sprung hub part needs to be facing away from the flywheel. It protrudes just enough to be hung up on the flywheel.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the pedal went to the floor it's the throwout bearing that let go not the clutch.

Replace the throwout bearing and bleed the system.

This is how you bleed the system

Nstaley

Reaction score
I replaced the clutch and pretty sure we verified it was on the right way twice. It has a new TOB and slave, all have been bled thoroughly even by hand I pumped the TOB till no more air was inside. I'm honestly out of ideas. OH another important thing, when I installed it the first day, it drove and ran just fine. 2 days later, it wouldn't go into gear.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you check the shifter linkages?

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the initial problem was the TOB busted... and not a leak somewhere else in the system, correct? What TOB brand are you using now? Motorcraft?

It sounds to me like you are losing hydraulic pressure in the system still, although the fact that you say it "feels" fine when you depress the clutch pedal adds to the confusion.

forum member
Reaction score
...OH another important thing, when I installed it the first day, it drove and ran just fine. 2 days later, it wouldn't go into gear.

Yeah, that is important piece of info. Check the shift linkage. Was it damaged at some point since you are looking for a replacement piece http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122073 ?
If the linkage is ok, it sounds like the throw out bearing (more likely) or slave.
Are you installing this clutch or is someone else doing it for you? What cable are you looking at that makes you think you have a clutch cable?

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
You could try to get a hand vacuum pump and attach it to the master cylinder and it will suck air out of the lines. Assume you are familiar with the brake/clutch system. Do the brakes feel fine because they use the same master reservoir.

Nstaley

Reaction score
Yeah, that is important piece of info. Check the shift linkage. Was it damaged at some point since you are looking for a replacement piece http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122073 ?
If the linkage is ok, it sounds like the throw out bearing (more likely) or slave.
Are you installing this clutch or is someone else doing it for you? What cable are you looking at that makes you think you have a clutch cable?

Linkage is fine because when the car is off it completely shifts fine. TOB is brand new (I even got 2 to make sure) and slave is brand new. And never mind on the cable, it's a hydraulic clutch it automatically adjusts. Someone told me to pump it 2000 times to get the air out. I tried that vac and all it did was pump fluid out and the seal never held so idk.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Did you have the flywheel resurfaced? You might just need some serious bleeding. It usually gets better over time not worse. I am sure you will figure it out. Only some more components to the system.

Last edited:

Nstaley

Reaction score
Flywheel is resurfaced yes, I've sat here for 40 mins pumping this clutch and its stiff as a rock and still won't go into gear.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried a OEM ford slave yet? Stock hydraulic line? Or a braided line? Leaking? I can only think ok a either a bad pressure plate or a bad slave.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Try holding the clutch down for about 20-to-30 seconds at a time and repeat about 5-6 times and see if it gets firmer. Do this with the car off.

Nstaley

Reaction score
Tried all that. Even pumped it for 2 hours straight. I rest drove it (car starts in first and when u go it shifts fine) and you can hear the plates and gears grinding. So I fucked up something internal. Had to drop the trans again. Picking back up in the morning.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back