Scca CAM class on s197 + more power

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
Understeering? Get rid of those itty bitty 245mm fronts!

hehe.... we have sold a LOT of S197 guys a LOT of sets of 18x11" wheels. And lately a lot of 19x11" wheels for people that cannot understand that 18" has better tire choices, or they don't like the look of 18s. ,

Terry, do you have any customers running the new 285/35/19 Rival size? According to TR, it only puts about 9.5 inches of tread down. Tire selection isn't terrible in 305/30/19 for those wanting to get aggressive. 19" also opens up a new compound (AD08R)

Sartol

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. Only have a few more events on the 245 up front so I'm going to run them flat. Will have the bigger tires ready to go by that point and hopefully the rear suspension done too. Front bars and front control arms added to the list. :). Shane I will talk to ya at the event.

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Going to build for CAM-C like everyone else this year Hillbilly. SCCA has created a vacuum to that class the way they have the rules currently.

Basically the only place for pony cars to play without fear of being murdered by vettes. And come on now. I'm not THAT much of a hillbilly lol.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Once a racer, always a racer. I heard his name announced at the Goodguys Del Mar event & at first thought I heard wrong. He turned in a run ~4 seconds faster than mine. Puts me in my place. But...I got to run the same track & event as Little Al. :cool:

I wonder what prompted him to start autocrossing. Bored?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
There will probably be lots of good autox parts for sale locally around Jan/Feb that fit your mustang. Like a fays2 watts, some AST4150s and possibly a set of 18x11s with still good 295 rivals mounted on them.

PM me when you're ready to sell.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry, do you have any customers running the new 285/35/19 Rival size? According to TR, it only puts about 9.5 inches of tread down. Tire selection isn't terrible in 305/30/19 for those wanting to get aggressive. 19" also opens up a new compound (AD08R)

rival-sizes-020513-L.jpg

When the Rival was introduced in early 2013 it changed the 200 treadwear competition field, and added LOTS of new and wider sizes. This tire was a game changer and many other tire makers followed suit. It was clearly faster than many existing tire models at the time, which I wrote about extensively after attending the The BFG Rival Launch Event.

rival-081315-L.jpg

But now, the "old Rival" sizes available (as of 8-13-15, above) are still very limited from the original listing back in 2013 (top). WTF is going on here, BFGoodrich? The world wants to know. The 295/35/18 has been out of stock for the better part of a year, yet more than a few folks built entire cars around this size. UGH!

rival-s-081315-L.jpg

The new "Rival-S" seems to be cleaning up in the "big car" classes that have to run a "200 treadwear" tire. SCCA Cam, the soon to be launched STP, Optima, Goodguys, ChumpCar, etc. I don't know if this tire has a "rival", hehe. But the available sizes are even more restricted... and different than the "old Rival" in many cases. Again... WTF?

bridgestones-081315-L.jpg

A lot of people are fast in a variety of Street and Street Touring classes on the new Bridgestone RE-71R, and I've raced and won on the previous generation RE-11 and RE-71. But these new "Hoosier-Stones" top out in 18" diameters at 275/35/18, which is fairly narrow and pretty short on an S197 Mustang (tire diameter). They do have a 295/35/19, which would be taller and more S197 appropriate for width, but they you are moving to 19" wheels.... heavier, more costly, etc.

yokohama-ado8R-081315-L.jpg

I like the Yokohama AD08 and won a lot of races on that tire, but the AD08-R is new to me. They make a 285 and 295 in 18", but a super short 30 series sidewall will cause for massive wheel gaps. And these are 180 treadwear tires, so they aren't legal for almost anything.

hankook-rs3-v2-081315-L.jpg

The Hankook sizes are fairly narrow (tops out at 285mm in 18") and a 305mm in 19" and 20", but that's it.

The Rival-S in 315mm and 335mm is pretty much your only answer at the moment for competitive CAM cars. You can look at the Falkens but its an older tire and even many sponsored driver's have given up on this ancient tire carcass design (circa 2005) that has a new-ish compound (2013) but little else in terms of modern competition development.

Cheers,

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I really can't figure out why 305/35/18 isn't a popular size. There are so many cars it would be good for...camaros, mustangs, corvettes, E92 M3's, etc etc. Oh well.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
yokohama-ado8R-081315-L.jpg

I like the Yokohama AD08 and won a lot of races on that tire, but the AD08-R is new to me. They make a 285 and 295 in 18", but a super short 30 series sidewall will cause for massive wheel gaps. And these are 180 treadwear tires, so they aren't legal for almost anything.
Cheers,

The AD08R is even better than the AD08 but limited tire sizes and 180 tread as stated. They handle heat well and work quite well in the wet. Good Daily driver / Track day tire.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The AD08R is even better than the AD08 but limited tire sizes and 180 tread as stated. They handle heat well and work quite well in the wet. Good Daily driver / Track day tire.

Wish they could get with the program and magically turn into a 200 like all the others.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Wish they could get with the program and magically turn into a 200 like all the others.

+1
I understand the Durometer rating and function but how do tire manufactures / NASA / SCCA/ ECT rate and clarify a tire to 140 /180 /200 or whatever scale? Could anyone educate me?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Treadwear ratings are only estimates of how far a given tire make/model (and sometimes size) will last, compared to some arbitrary "standard tire", tested under some sort of standardized procedure. Which might be a little fuzzy itself.

It is not a direct indication of Durometer, although you could expect a rough correlation between Durometer and treadwear number.

It may be illegal to advertise a tire with a higher treadwear number than it actually tested to, but the reverse - advertising a lower TW# than tested - is not. So you can buy tires with a 160 TW that will last longer than another mfr's 240 TW tire in the same size on the same wheels on the same car.

If it then crosses your mind that intentionally under-advertising the TW number for a tire with serious high-performance intent might happen strictly for marketing advantage, or that re-rating any such tires without effort beyond re-working a couple of numbers in the tire molds could happen . . . you just might be on to something.

Norm

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
If it then crosses your mind that intentionally under-advertising the TW number for a tire with serious high-performance intent might happen strictly for marketing advantage, or that re-rating any such tires without effort beyond re-working a couple of numbers in the tire molds could happen . . . you just might be on to something.
Norm

Thanks Norm -
I have thought this for many years.
NASA / SCCA / ECT - Have to have a way of checking tire ratings. Do you or anyone else know what the procedure is or do they just go by what the tire manufacture states.
Back in the early 80s I was involved with someone with more money than he knew what to do with. He raced with V.A.R.A. which was the largest vintage association at the time. He was a large contributor and had people on his payroll running the board. This gentleman had 100s of tires formed from old molds using newer softer compounds. His racing class was limited on tire size. Anyone can do this and current manufactures, I am sure, supply special tires to sponsored drives. They did / probably still do it in Drifting so I'm confident the practice is standard for other divisions where certain types of street tries are required.
How does a Racing / Sanctioning body check tire compounds for compliance?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Norm -
I have thought this for many years.
NASA / SCCA / ECT - Have to have a way of checking tire ratings. Do you or anyone else know what the procedure is or do they just go by what the tire manufacture states.
Back in the early 80s I was involved with someone with more money than he knew what to do with. He raced with V.A.R.A. which was the largest vintage association at the time. He was a large contributor and had people on his payroll running the board. This gentleman had 100s of tires formed from old molds using newer softer compounds. His racing class was limited on tire size. Anyone can do this and current manufactures, I am sure, supply special tires to sponsored drives. They did / probably still do it in Drifting so I'm confident the practice is standard for other divisions where certain types of street tries are required.
How does a Racing / Sanctioning body check tire compounds for compliance?

They supply spec tires for a given series. Even then once the teams have the tires...who knows what happens

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back