Scca CAM class on s197 + more power

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
They supply spec tires for a given series. Even then once the teams have the tires...who knows what happens

YYYYaaaUUUPPP –

Unfortunately nothing has changed -

Just like a sealed engine - Kinda sucks. When the manufacturer supplies you with the marking paint so you are able to open a (QUOTE) sealed engine and refine it (Valve seat work ECT.) and visual / tear down inspection shows nothing because of the skill level of the parties involved, it’s a tad unfair to the average competitor - Been there and seen that. One reason I was disappointed in certain sanctioned racing. There will always be flat out cheaters when pride and $$$ is involved. I’m not talking about improvising or rule interpretation - I admit to that and am comfortable with it but just flat out cheating.
The newer HP per weight rules are a huge step forward.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks Norm -
I have thought this for many years.
NASA / SCCA / ECT - Have to have a way of checking tire ratings. Do you or anyone else know what the procedure is or do they just go by what the tire manufacture states.
It might have been in some circle track item I read where Durometer readings are taken, presumably to identify whether or not a tire has been 'treated'. Though if you're given a specific Durometer number in the class rules or other specs it still becomes a de facto required modification just to get down to it and not be giving away anything to your competitors who you have to assume will put their tires right on the limit. Assuming that there is some way of controlling this . . .

As far as I know, SCCA's Solo takes the mfrs' word for it that a 200 TW tire is capable of meeting whatever 200 TW mileage amounts to and isn't a 40 TW R-comp with illegal labeling.

Norm

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This is the only thread here talking about SCCA's CAM class...

DSC_9128-M.jpg

Well a lot of things have happened this year. The Speedway CAM series and the CAM Invitational at Solo Nats has kind of moved this along well. There will be more Speedway CAM-only events in 2016 and there is one planned in Texas, too.

DSC_9177-M.jpg

We've been sending letters about some clarifications to rules and car additions to the 3 existing CAM classes and those letters have borne fruit...

2016-CAM-rules-M.jpg

higher rez format: https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Customer-Cars/2011-Mustang-GT/i-7jDd9km/0/X2/2016-CAM-rules-X2.jpg

• Check out the new cars (C4, C5, C6 Corvettes + Vipers) into CAM-S class, but with 3000 pound minimum weights (vs 2350 pounds for the other CAM-S cars).
  • Lots of little revisions and take-backs (look for changes with words italicized)
  • CAM-C (contemporary) is now 1990-up and has a new 3200 pound min weight (up from 3000)
  • CAM-T now outlaws ABS/TCS (those so equipped will have to run in CAM-S)

Many of these changes are seen as good, only a few as gotchas.

Discuss...

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I'm initially a little upset with the 650lb corvette penalty, BUT the winning CAMS entry this year had almost the same time as A Street, and, if we can't improve on A Street times....why are we doing this.

Instead of complaining right away I'll wait and see how it goes. This all seems to be a step in the right direction.

Stephen31201

forum member
Reaction score
Suspension Suspension Suspension... A car setup properly (Correct suspension) with half the hp will spank Big Horsepower's ass all day long on short tracks. Heck make that almost all tracks lol. Just my opinion.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Tracks? This is the updated SCCA Solo CAM classing for next year, FYI

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
I like the wording of the new rules, looks good to me. Im happy about the addition of vettes as they needed a place where they can mod the car at will but still play on street tires if they so desire. All in all I dont think there where as many as major take backs as once feared. They are however dangerously close to spilling over onto two pages of rules. The organizers have vowed to keep CAM to one page, next year they may need smaller font to make that happen.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I like the wording of the new rules, looks good to me. Im happy about the addition of vettes as they needed a place where they can mod the car at will but still play on street tires if they so desire. All in all I dont think there where as many as major take backs as once feared. They are however dangerously close to spilling over onto two pages of rules. The organizers have vowed to keep CAM to one page, next year they may need smaller font to make that happen.

They need to just bite the bullet on having more than one page. The "clarifications" that have been made regarding the "dash panel thing" could fill a page by themselves....OEM dash panel may be replaced, metal door panels allowed, but they have to be "finished"...and so does the dash, and so on. Basically what I got from all that is that it's a subjective call, and depends on who complains to whom on what day as to whether interiors are legal or not. This is precisely the kind of stuff that is going to make people mad with the class.....they need to make some actual rules, or leave it actually wide open, or there will be conflict.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
They need to just bite the bullet on having more than one page. The "clarifications" that have been made regarding the "dash panel thing" could fill a page by themselves....OEM dash panel may be replaced, metal door panels allowed, but they have to be "finished"...and so does the dash, and so on. Basically what I got from all that is that it's a subjective call, and depends on who complains to whom on what day as to whether interiors are legal or not. This is precisely the kind of stuff that is going to make people mad with the class.....they need to make some actual rules, or leave it actually wide open, or there will be conflict.

Your making it more dificult than it needs to be. Dash can be replaced with any dash that covers the same area: AKA you can rip out that janky C5 dash and replace it with a simple sheet metal dash as long as it covers the same area as before IE mounting points (center stack is not part of the dash)

Metal panels can be used as long as they are finished, this one isin't difficult either. Raw metal is not finished, but clear coated, painted, upholstered, anodized, hydrodipped, etc is.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
But if I put one dimple die in it? Is it finished? Technically yes. I just am not a fan of rules that can be interpreted.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
But if I put one dimple die in it? Is it finished? Technically yes. I just am not a fan of rules that can be interpreted.

Because you are an autocrosser that has had to live and die by some fairly strict rules for so long. A dimple die is no different then a bend, or cut. Its metal forming, it just happens to look good. Personally I wouldnt call it finished. None of these interior rules (which make up more then half the rules) are worth protesting over. Your single dimple die dash did not shave time off your run.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Because you are an autocrosser that has had to live and die by some fairly strict rules for so long. A dimple die is no different then a bend, or cut. Its metal forming, it just happens to look good. Personally I wouldnt call it finished. None of these interior rules (which make up more then half the rules) are worth protesting over. Your single dimple die dash did not shave time off your run.

But if I do consider it finished? See that's the problem.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You're thinking like an engineer when you need to be thinking like a lawyer (where it goes something like "my interpretation is right, yours is wrong, the on-course results are irrelevant, and I'll win because you're gonna lose the argument"). Put a tire contingency at stake instead of a piece of glassware with the Region's logo on it and see what happens.

Norm

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back