03/04 cobra or 07-09gt500?

Meet Me At The Park

forum member
Reaction score
I've been looking at both the 03/04 cobras and 07 to 09 gt500s. I've found a few I like: an 03 cobra for around 20k with 40k miles and a whipple that's in real good shape....and a couple more termis that have 20k miles for mid $20ks. The gt500s are around 40 for a new one and mid 30s for used. I was wondering what some of yalls opinions are on which would be best. I won't be using it as a drag car or anything just a strong DD. I had an 03 cobra and love them. I've never driven the gt500. I need it to be able to drive 600 mile road trips and wasn't sure if the high hp whipple terminators could do it. Let me know what you think.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
man those Termies are all business

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oops didn't read the entire thread, Don is correct........the GT500 hands down

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It might help the OP to explain exactly WHY you guys think the GT500 is worth the extra.

Meet Me At The Park

forum member
Reaction score
haha what makes you not a fan of the 03/04? Ya'll think the gt500 is that much better for the long drive or what? I once rode in one and didn't think it had as much pull compared to my cobra. I got 26mpg on the highway in my cobra and made 481rwhp and 496rwtq on the dyno. With the GT500 being heavier, what kinda gas mileage would I be looking at on the highway after cai, exhaust, pulley, and tune?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The S197 platform is infinitely better than the old one...all you have to do is drive one of each and you realize what a huge improvement it is.

jjay760

forum member
Reaction score
uuummmmmm gt500 for the win! dont get me wrong the termi is way nice, but if you are going on road trips, comfort is going to play a issue, and the s197 is very comfortable(and plenty of power!!!)

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
i have the 08 gt and had an 03 cobra. New platform is nice but is it worth the extra 15 to 20k?

I would have to say the gt500 also, I also like the look of it better. I have driven a few also and to me they just feel solid. I love it. I am in the process of 'searching' for one also. As for the 15000 in price difference, an 03 cobra is a 7 almost 8 model year old car, think about depreciation. If you wanted to wait until 2014 for an 07 gt500 then you can get one for low 20's. If you are in CA, I looked on auto trader the other night and found one for $28, with low miles. I think less than 5k. The guy just wants to get rid of it. Maybe something for you to look at.

Edit: Sorry I just saw your in Greenville.

Drewskie

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on the GT500 just the fact that it's newer does it for me. And as stated before the platform is much better. The S197s are so much more comfortable too. IMO

Agent Jones

forum member
Reaction score
dude you come to a s197 forum and want unbiased opinions?

anyways

the gt500 is better in everyway

Looks
5.4 4valve s/c > 4.6 4valve s/c
Looks
Comfort inside
Looks
Interior is light years ahead
Looks
Its newer so chances are is gonna be more dependable (but that all depends on previous owners, which the 03/04 could have had 1 or 5)
Looks
Brakes are better
Looks
platform is betters

oh and did i mention it looks better.....if your just wanting a strong DD then get the gt500. dependability needs to be taken in to consideration if its a DD. oh yeah the gt500 looks better.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
dude you come to a s197 forum and want unbiased opinions?

anyways

the gt500 is better in everyway

Looks
5.4 4valve s/c > 4.6 4valve s/c
Looks
Comfort inside
Looks
Interior is light years ahead
Looks
Its newer so chances are is gonna be more dependable (but that all depends on previous owners, which the 03/04 could have had 1 or 5)
Looks
Brakes are better
Looks
platform is betters

oh and did i mention it looks better.....if your just wanting a strong DD then get the gt500. dependability needs to be taken in to consideration if its a DD. oh yeah the gt500 looks better.

LOL +1

Meet Me At The Park

forum member
Reaction score
Can you send me a pm of the link to that one in California with low miles for in the twenties? If it's that good of a deal I'll throw it on a truck :) That's some good stuff on the GT500 I guess I need to go drive one. I definitely do need the comfort but I think looks wise they are equal. How wide of a rear tire can you put on the GT500 without having to use a spacer? with a new wider rim of course?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've seen people run 345s.

+1

Let me know what you think.

I will give an unbiased opinion by saying that it depends on what you want it for. We will leave all the aesthetics out of it since you have owned both already, meaning that you like them both. The SN95 platform is great; I had a 1994 Cobra and a 1996 Mystic and loved them both. The many parts, such as suspension and exhaust parts are readily available and cheap. The 03/04 already comes with a 6 speed, but if you want to swap an automatic into it; look no further than the Mach1 for parts. You can get a solid axle from anywhere and probably sell the IRS for a decent sum along with the 6 speed if you swapped the auto in. You would want to do this if you planned on drag racing it, as upgrades to the IRS are cost prohibitive. Also, the 03/04 comes with h-beam rods. At one time, MM&FF did a side by side test of the GT500, 03/04 4V, and an S197 GT (with a built engine and SC to keep it even); they all performed about the same. I won’t b.s. you, the interior of a clean 03/04 is plush and with the IRS, the ride is very smooth. If you are hard on it, the IRS is not your friend. Now, the GT500 is great as well, but the parts are expensive and good used parts are hard to find. However, it too comes with the 6 speed and a decent fuel system. I will add, divorced shifter in the manual transmission S197 is just poor engineering, I have never liked it. There is also, the 2pc driveshaft that you have to replace. The interior is fantastic with items that you surely won’t find in a 6-7 year old car. With a properly set up 03/04, you will turn heads, but you can roll a stock Shelby and do the same. The Shelby's styling is just out of this world. You have to examine your budget and determine what the “best bang for your buck” is. If you want a fast car and don’t mind it being a few years old, get the 03/04 but if you want to be “state of the art,” get the Shelby. Neither will disappoint you.

Last edited:

Dwisforme05

CF photography
Reaction score
like many have said is the gt500 worth the extra money?

i love the termi's. they are getting harder, and harder to find too. i would probably pick the termi because of the price. i think they have a more aggressive look to them aswell.

u also have to ask yourself what you want to do with the car. Are you going to DD it? id get the gt500 and leave it stock. are you going to drag it everyonce in a while? going for ET? lots of factors.

my vote- 20k termi > 40k gt500.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back