05 gt alternator problems

jbido

forum member
Reaction score
So I have an 05 Mustang gt. when I turn it on my check charging system message comes on and the battery light comes up. it drives fine for a while then the voltage dips and rises on the battery meter. today it dropped down all the way and the car shut off. so I disconnected and charged the battery. my question is do I get a new alternator or buy the kit to rebuild it from AM? Thank you guys for the help.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get a PA one. That is what I switched to when mine went bad 5 years ago and I haven't had a problem since.

McLovin

forum member
Reaction score
Pardon the ignorant question, but what is a PA alternator?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

JGT

Reaction score
Same problem with my 06. It's annoying problem.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I'm currently an engineering intern in the Sustaining Engineering group for Remy incorporated, an alternator remanufacturer. One of the alternators we deal with on a regular basis is the one your car came with.

I'll make this short. The older S198s use a 6G alternator. They have quite a few problems, and Ford didn't do a great job designing them. I can think of at least three major warranty issues off the top of my head.

Alternatively, the newer S197s came with Denso alternators. Denso is the competition for my company, so I don't say this lightly, but they make a better product. It's more expensive, but higher quality because much of it is manufactured in the US, not Mexico or China.

As a third option, you can pull a Mitsubishi alternator off a police interceptor with the same 4.6L 3V modular engine. That alternator was specifically made for those cars, and is rated at 215amps instead of the 135amps from the stock alternator. As a plus, you could probably get one at most auto parts stores.

gremlin190

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently an engineering intern in the Sustaining Engineering group for Remy incorporated, an alternator remanufacturer. One of the alternators we deal with on a regular basis is the one your car came with.

I'll make this short. The older S198s use a 6G alternator. They have quite a few problems, and Ford didn't do a great job designing them. I can think of at least three major warranty issues off the top of my head.

Alternatively, the newer S197s came with Denso alternators. Denso is the competition for my company, so I don't say this lightly, but they make a better product. It's more expensive, but higher quality because much of it is manufactured in the US, not Mexico or China.

As a third option, you can pull a Mitsubishi alternator off a police interceptor with the same 4.6L 3V modular engine. That alternator was specifically made for those cars, and is rated at 215amps instead of the 135amps from the stock alternator. As a plus, you could probably get one at most auto parts stores.

Damn, where was this info when I bought my pa one?

Looks like a perfect fit and half the price

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Damn, where was this info when I bought my pa one?

Looks like a perfect fit and half the price

Having never actually put one of the Mitsubishis on, I couldn't say for sure what would happen.

What I do know is this; the Mitsubishi has a longer stator than the 6G, meaning the mid frame, and this the entire alternator, is a bit longer. On a stock 4.6L, this is no issue as there is plenty of clearance behind the alternator underneath the intake manifold.

Other than that your car may throw a code with that alternator, but I doubt it.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Wow...I'll have to see if I can fit one of these alternators in my car. My issue is that I have the alternator reverse mounted due to the edelbrock supercharger so it may not fit in the location mine is. Damn cheap for a remanufactured one by me...only $159 + $35 core charge.

Thanks for the info!

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Wow...I'll have to see if I can fit one of these alternators in my car. My issue is that I have the alternator reverse mounted due to the edelbrock supercharger so it may not fit in the location mine is. Damn cheap for a remanufactured one by me...only $159 + $35 core charge.

Thanks for the info!

Sure thing!

It's the same drive end and sre frame, as well as the same mounting points.

I'd be getting one but clearance is bad enough behind the OEM unit with the supercharger I'm getting this weekend.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Just an update, it looks like we may be able to test fit the Mitsubishi on my car this Friday. I'll update of I remember to sometime this weekend

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
Bump.

Any update? What years police interceptors came with the alternator?

Mine went out today so I need to get one asap.

Thanks

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I just put a new alternator on my car and I am getting that check charging system message! I am hoping maybe a loose connection

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Bump.

Any update? What years police interceptors came with the alternator?

Mine went out today so I need to get one asap.

Thanks

I haven't had the chance to try it out. I've been too busy with class, tests, and interviews to run by my old work.

Any one of the police interceptors with the same 4.6L 3V will have that alternator.

Reaction score
I haven't had the chance to try it out. I've been too busy with class, tests, and interviews to run by my old work.

Any one of the police interceptors with the same 4.6L 3V will have that alternator.

I don't know of any panther car with a 3v. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to see it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
It's the 4.6L Modular v8. It's the same motor as the S197 GTs, but only has 250hp. If I'm not mistaken it's the same engine as the F-150s. Ours are a suped up version of those engines, but the alternators are the same frame.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back