06 Steering Wheel Swap With A 2012 Premium GT - Cruise Control and Audio Buttons

Discussion in 'DIY Tech Guides' started by Paulluap, Jan 1, 2018.

Car Parts
  1. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

Hi
    Just a video I made showing how to connect the cruise control and audio buttons up on a 2012 steering wheel. There is a video on you tube already, but I found it hard to understand.

Managed to make it work without buying the wpt-440 plugs.
    Maybe this might help someone else out.
    Cheers

Vallee, playmosolo and Speedrcr43 like this.
  2. RMB427R

RMB427R Junior Member

Well done, thanks for posting up

Paulluap likes this.
  3. buster

buster Junior Member

Great video. I wish my steering wheel was on the correct side !

4. Wendy

Wendy Junior Member

Could this mod be done swapping in a later model clock spring so that you dont have to cut all the wires?

or maybe just splice a few under the steering wheel???

5. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

Cheers Thanks, one of the reasons I brought this car was because of the conversion. :)

6. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

It might work, could be a bit easier. I have not seen what the newer clock spring looks like.

Wendy likes this.
  7. Jericho

Jericho Junior Member

I got caught up on the wiring... My 2008 doesn't have the same color wires and I've been unable to find a pinning diagram. I've got hands-free and audio working like a champ, but nothing from the cruise control side of the wheel.

Any insights?

8. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

Hi can you post a picture of your wires?

9. Jericho

Jericho Junior Member

Sadly not until I go back in. If memory serves we didn't have a white wire at all.

10. Jericho

Jericho Junior Member

Original Harness:

[​IMG]

New Cruise Input Wires:

[​IMG]

Current Splice:

[​IMG]

LED's function, indicating red/black-red/green success, but the other two? Nothing...

11. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

Maybe in the last picture, the blue/ dark-grey and the orange/ light grey need to be swapped around.

12. Jericho

Jericho Junior Member

That was the thought, but swapping them did nothing.

13. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

Found this photo of the cruise control plug. But you can't' see the back wire. Could be brown or black. Have you got the green wire going to ground?
    20171223_150449.jpg

14. datmbn

datmbn forum member

This is from an Swedish forum translated with google translate

This summer when I was in the United States, I got a cheap steering wheel with sound buttons for a 2012 so it would be fun to
    get it and get started all the buttons.
    The steering wheel was quite tired with buttons like flag and some scratch, but after a little left "rim color" and a button representation
    https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Steering-Wheel-Button-Repair/dp/B01LWU237A Looked great

Physically, the wheel fits directly and you can use any center you want.
    Now over to the electrical connection:
    You will need to use the cable from the new dial but the connector from the old + that you need to use an additional 4-wire connector
    (a USB connection to computer motherboards fits)
    Start by cutting off the connectors (save earth wire + cable shoe to tilt the old connector)
    Connect now:
    (white-gray), (blue-brown), (green or black-black), (red-red).
    You now have 4 wires left, which you probably pull back to the cross and connect to a USB connector
    check so you understand better, but I think it's better to connect all 4 cables.
    Down to the stereo connectors for then, it works with Orginal stereo.
    # J1,16 or J3,4 - blue -
    # J1,17 or J3,5 - Yellow +
    # J1.18 - Green +
    # J1.19 - Purple -
    Here is a link to a pdf that investigates this very well
    https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=...ustang-2.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0JYF3dyOjDYMrvs58cXh6I
    Now I have an android star so it was only to ground the two mini-leaders and connect the other two to key1 and key2 on the stereo.
    In summary, the installation was very successful, the "new" wheel is also more comfortable to hold in, slightly thicker and softer.
    regards Mats

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  15. seanco

seanco Junior Member

nice post but you accidently installed the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car :)

16. Paulluap

Paulluap forum member

Haha
    Just spent 23 days driving route 66 on the "right" side of the road. Diffinalty a challenge. But trip was Awesome