07 gt500 heat exchanger upgrade

Discussion in '2007+ Mustang GT500 Tech' started by AFTERBURN, May 7, 2014.

1. AFTERBURN

AFTERBURN Junior Member

has anyone heard of installing the bigger 13+ gt500 heat exchangers on an 07 gt500?? Will it fit and how hard will it be to install?? I have a 2.4 pulley on my stock blower 07 gt500 and wanna limit some heat soak

2. Speedboosted

Speedboosted Found missing cylinders

I'm sure you already have this answered by now but yes, I've installed one. Pretty simple, I have a nice write up on how to do it with about $7 worth of materials. Worth it if you don't plan on going to a bigger blower or a ton of power later on. Perfect for a pulled M122 car

3. mavisky

mavisky forum member

The 13+ is a small improvement, but for what they sell for, you may be better off getting an aftermarket unit for a bit more with dual fans.

Then again I'm still on the stock cooler so what do I know.

4. blownGTvert

blownGTvert forum member

I have a heat exchanger and pump from a 14 on my car now. The 13/14 exchange dwarfs the exchangers on the earlier cars. Pump flow is also significantly increased. The 13/14 exchanged can be had for $200 or less and are readily available. A great upgrade that is bolt on.

5. Wes06

Wes06 forum member

whats the flow on the 13+ pump rated at?

Im sure I'll be fine for a while on the early pump. just wondering if I find a need for a larger one

6. avinaj80

avinaj80 Senior Member S197 Team Member

That pump is a Bosch 0392022002. Flows an estimated 317 gph.

7. black2008gt

black2008gt GT500 NOOB

Get the AFCO dual fan heat exchanger and be done with it.

8. Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep WUB WUB VROOM VROOM

You can never have too much cooling. You hit the nail on the head IMO.

Or buy my Steeda Triple Pass that I'm selling!!

9. blownGTvert

blownGTvert forum member

Not correct. The 07-12 cars use the Bosch pump. The 13/14 cars use a Pierburg pump DR3Z-8501-A. Every part on the innercooler system for the 13/14 cars is larger - pump, IC, heat exchanger, etc. The entire innercooler system on 13/14 cars is 30% larger than the earlier models.

10. avinaj80

avinaj80 Senior Member S197 Team Member

I have been misinformed then... Good setup though for those pushin moe powa!

11. Kylar

Kylar forum member

How does the Saleen Heat Exchanger with the fans compare in size to the 13/14 gt500?

the one that looks like this

[​IMG]

12. blownGTvert

blownGTvert forum member

The Saleen kits use the same core as 95% of all other SC kits. Which is a Ford OEM part from the 03/04 Cobras. As you can see in the attached picture, the 13/14 exchanger is massive next to the earlier units.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  13. Department Of Boost

Department Of Boost Alpha Geek

The IC isn't.:)

14. blownGTvert

blownGTvert forum member

All of the parts in the system are larger on 13/ 14 cars. How much larger I guess is up for discussion!

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  15. Department Of Boost

The IC isn't any bigger. It can't be, a bigger one won't fit in the manifold. There was talk from SVT that it was re-designed with a higher fin count yada yada yada. Bla bla percent better bla bla. Ends up Ford changed suppliers and that is why the design changed. I've heard of two shops that did back to back 07-12 vs 13-14 IC tests and they saw zero improvement.

The HE is certainly bigger. And the pump is supposed to be better. I just picked up a pump. I'm going to test it next week on the rig to see how it stacks up.

16. 0517suhleen

0517suhleen Junior Member

I don't own a gt500, BUT! I was able to put one of these bad boys on my 07 saleen! :biggrin: Slight mods to the H/E but well it fits..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say, fans won't fit.

17. Kput

Kput forum member

What's performance on one of these compared with an Afco or VMP exchanger?

18. Department Of Boost

The GT500 is quite a bit bigger than the Afco and about the same size as the VMP.

When it comes to bang for the buck the GT500 is the way to go. And may be the best bang anyway.

19. Kput

Kput forum member

I did a little more research, found that the 13/14's don't have fans, which help. Thought about adding some, but apparently the space isn't deep enough.

I'll stick with VMP I guess :p

20. Department Of Boost

Fans are over rated. I would rather have the bigger core.