'11/'12 and '13 block differences

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
I'm about to swap a '13 boss shortblock into my '12 so I'm sub'd to this as well.

Does the boss shotblock come with an oil pump?

Blackmagic1

Reaction score
thats why I'm trying to find which one is better for boooosted apps? or both the same. Like I said before its funny they added oils squirters for the new gt500 but take it away for the GTs.. do that mean the new GTs cant hale as much boost.. sooo confusing
The GT500 engine needed the squirters for more cooling from the boosted engine.The 5.0 turns more rpms,and they are not used in the 13's,as it was creating too much oil not returning to sump.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 engine needed the squirters for more cooling from the boosted engine.The 5.0 turns more rpms,and they are not used in the 13's,as it was creating too much oil not returning to sump.

I'd like to think there's an engineering issue for the squirters being removed. In the end, I believe it was simply a cost cutting measure. I don't claim to know which is better, particularly for boosted applications.

One of the early articles on the 5.0 (right before the release in 2010) talked about how the engineers really had a hard sell with management (the bean counters) to get the squirters on the engine in the first place. My bet, the issue was . . . revisited.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to think there's an engineering issue for the squirters being removed. In the end, I believe it was simply a cost cutting measure. I don't claim to know which is better, particularly for boosted applications.

One of the early articles on the 5.0 (right before the release in 2010) talked about how the engineers really had a hard sell with management (the bean counters) to get the squirters on the engine in the first place. My bet, the issue was . . . revisited.

I think you are exactly right.

jaguarking11

Reaction score
The oil squirters are a great thing to have. However they create windage problems at high rpm. This engine is a relatively high rpm engine so they eliminated them, when they realized they will never turbocharge this thing from factory.

However being that this 5L engine has such great breathing potential, and heads that outflow the old ford GT supercar heads. FI is a natural progression. Ford designed the 5.0L to be force fed, plain and simple. However they have now scraped the plans due to the 3.5L ecoboost engine being so successful.

Personally I would rather keep the oil squirters and keep rpm below 7500. Down the line I plan on force feeding this thing. Remember one of the main reasons the 3.5L ecoboost lives with boost and cast pistons is because of the oil squirters. The other reason is Diesel like piston design and direct injection.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The oil squirters are a great thing to have. However they create windage problems at high rpm. This engine is a relatively high rpm engine so they eliminated them, when they realized they will never turbocharge this thing from factory.

However being that this 5L engine has such great breathing potential, and heads that outflow the old ford GT supercar heads. FI is a natural progression. Ford designed the 5.0L to be force fed, plain and simple. However they have now scraped the plans due to the 3.5L ecoboost engine being so successful.

There's a lot of speculation in there. Have any info to back up what you're saying? If the coyote was designed to be force fed, then the target HP would have to have been somewhere around 500hp (once boosted). The 3.5 eco is nowhere near that. So the success of it, shouldn't have had any effect on plans for a much higher hp boosted V8. Just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

kon5t

forum member
Reaction score
is there a specific production date of Vin number after which the squirters stopped being installed?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
is there a specific production date of Vin number after which the squirters stopped being installed?

We're unsure at this point. Rumor is that they were no longer used after mid year '12. I've seen nothing to back that up. All model year '13's have the new block which most certainly doesn't have squirters. Prior to that though, we don't know for sure.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
There's a lot of speculation in there. Have any info to back up what you're saying? If the coyote was designed to be force fed, then the target HP would have to have been somewhere around 500hp (once boosted). The 3.5 eco is nowhere near that. So the success of it, shouldn't have had any effect on plans for a much higher hp boosted V8. Just doesn't add up.

The Australians at Ford Performance Vehicles rolled out a supercharged Coyote (code-named Miami) in the 2011 model year FPV Boss 315 and 335's. The numbers are KW of output corresponding to 422 and 449 HP respectively. So, boosted Coyotes from Ford are already out there, just not in the US or Canada. The interesting question would be whether those engines ever had squirters and if they did, do they still have them?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

Personally I would rather keep the oil squirters and keep rpm below 7500. Down the line I plan on force feeding this thing. Remember one of the main reasons the 3.5L ecoboost lives with boost and cast pistons is because of the oil squirters. The other reason is Diesel like piston design and direct injection.

They are already testing the boosted 5.0 in the cobra jet... I am putting good money on the 2015 chassis's SVT Mustang to be a SC 5.0

kon5t

forum member
Reaction score
The Australians at Ford Performance Vehicles rolled out a supercharged Coyote (code-named Miami) in the 2011 model year FPV Boss 315 and 335's. The numbers are KW of output corresponding to 422 and 449 HP respectively. So, boosted Coyotes from Ford are already out there, just not in the US or Canada. The interesting question would be whether those engines ever had squirters and if they did, do they still have them?

are you figures correct, what is the point of FI for 10hp extra?

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
are you figures correct, what is the point of FI for 10hp extra?

I suspect that the US and Australian development teams simply had different product goals that each suited the local market. I think that Ford Australia's FPV products are pitched against AMG, while Ford US's products are pitched against Chevy and Dodge. AMG uses a lot of FI engines, so to compete, FPV needed FI too.

The two teams cut costs by using a common block that was suitable for both finished products, which is a win for us.

SonicGT

Mad Torque Inc.
Reaction score
Anyone know what the power limit is on a 2013 block? Does that block need to be sleeved for high boost set ups?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Anyone know what the power limit is on a 2013 block? Does that block need to be sleeved for high boost set ups?

It is sleeved already. The blocks will make all the power you want, just make sure the tune is spot on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back