'14 GT Automatic - drag racing results from a few simple mods

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I've told my son-in-law a few times to pattern his Bullitt build after yours. He's been reading some of your posts on the forums and loves your Bullitt (who doesn't!).
Brian,

I appreciate your comments buddy. :clap:

Take care,
Terry

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Awesome collection of slips there Brian!

Thank you! One of these days I'll turn this car into a bracket racer since it's so consistent. My reaction times are decent enough to be competitive, too. Can't wait until your car is back together and on the strip again! My wife, daughter, and I really love watching your car rip through the 1/4 mile!

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
I should be out there to make some passes before end of the season, that's the plan anyway!

There's a ton of stuff sitting in the garage and a bunch more still yet to arrive before I can throw it all back together and make some noise.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I raced tonight at Bremerton Raceway tonight. DA ranged from 650-950 above sea level. Temps in the low to mid 70's and mostly sunny. Race weight with me in the car was 3665 lbs today.

Managed a new personal best of 11.51 @ 117.98 backed up with an 11.52 @ 119.15. I also ran a pair of 11.53's, a pair of 11.54's, a pair of 11.56's, a pair of 11.58's, and my worst pass of the night was an 11.59. Corrected to sea level DA, these would have mostly been low 11.4's, so I can't wait for mineshaft air in the fall for a new personal best. Very happy with the very consistent 11.5's tonight!

I dropped nearly a tenth of a second since last month. DA was nearly identical. Only thing I did different today was to pull the front passenger seat and rear seat bottom/backs, saving me about 75-80 lbs. I've never pulled the front seat out of this car before today, but knew it was frickin' heavy! I might be investing in some lightweight race seats before much longer!

Timeslips below. I'm car #2061, mostly in the left lane....

1B21B900-0781-45FB-A956-ED0BB2E816DA_zps6vob7cb0.jpg

0AD65754-5E6B-4CB5-BFC8-47C8E9B39E95_zpshbslr453.jpg

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Five of us went to the track together, and four of us ran personal bests tonight! From right to left in the pic below....

My Ruby Red '14 GT 6R80: 11.51 @ 117+ Mods in signature.

Bob's White '12 GT 6R80: 11.09 @ 125+. Procharger, full exhaust, Boss 302 intake, 3.55 gears, full rear suspension upgrades, etc.

Chris' Grabber Blue '14 GT MT-82: 12.26 @ 114+. Tuned, O/R X-pipe, Boss 302 intake, FRPP TB, M&H DR's.

Dante's Gotta Have it Green '14 GT MT-82: 11.94 @ 116+. Tuned, full rear suspension upgrades, slicks on 15x10's.

John's White '15 GT 6R80: 12.68 @ 110+. Bone stock on stock tires.

533D0EB5-F9C0-4F5F-9E56-2F52B1D11AA2_zpsabvgnidw.jpg

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
11 and 12 second cars in those conditions????? Color me unimpressed. Nothing exciting.

1.6 60' times need improvement.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
11 and 12 second cars in those conditions????? Color me unimpressed. Nothing exciting.

Seriously? This guy is excited about his new personal bests but because it doesn't live up to your standard (no one does) you're gonna be douchey?

Same shit different day from you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score

Just a reminder that my suspension is 100% factory stock, so a low 1.6 is actually pretty damn good. Could I start throwing money at the suspension and whittle that 60' down? Sure, but let's keep things in perspective.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Five of us went to the track together, and four of us ran personal bests tonight! From right to left in the pic below....

My Ruby Red '14 GT 6R80: 11.51 @ 117+ Mods in signature.

Bob's White '12 GT 6R80: 11.09 @ 125+. Procharger, full exhaust, Boss 302 intake, 3.55 gears, full rear suspension upgrades, etc.

Chris' Grabber Blue '14 GT MT-82: 12.26 @ 114+. Tuned, O/R X-pipe, Boss 302 intake, FRPP TB, M&H DR's.

Dante's Gotta Have it Green '14 GT MT-82: 11.94 @ 116+. Tuned, full rear suspension upgrades, slicks on 15x10's.

John's White '15 GT 6R80: 12.68 @ 110+. Bone stock on stock tires.

533D0EB5-F9C0-4F5F-9E56-2F52B1D11AA2_zpsabvgnidw.jpg

What was the DA when you were running? Curious. Comparing apples to oranges when someone running at MIR in -DA to someone running a similar setup at Bandimere in 8500DA. Usually comments from someone running down your PB have other issues.

Either way be proud of your accomplishment regardless. It's YOUR personal best against your personal best. Keep at it.

Last edited:

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Nice job- I need to lose 80 pounds as a driver- man u make a lot of runs when you go - you would of went 11.4?'s if you would of gave a lil more cool down time- curious as well what a set of headers and near -da this fall would bring for you.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Personally with good, bad, or whatever DA, running mid 11's with your daily driver is very cool! I'd rather drive to the track in a mid 11 second car, than trailer my mid 10 second car any day of the week. Yes, there's faster, but there always will be. There's probably someone around who has never heard of S197 forums, or the Corral, that can literally mop the friggin floor with the quickest car on whatever list you can find on these forums with less.....

My point here is, good job Brian. I'm glad you're enjoying your very streetable Stang, and putting "Ford" in the other brand's ears at your local tracks.. I wish I had a dollar for every modded stang, I've seen in th 13's and 14's btw.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
What was the DA when you were running? Curious. Comparing apples to oranges when someone running at MIR in -DA to someone running a similar setup at Bandimere in 8500DA. Usually comments from someone running down your PB have other issues.

Either way be proud of your accomplishment regardless. It's YOUR personal best against your personal best. Keep at it.

Thanks! DA ranged from 650-950 above sea level last night. That's pretty normal around here. In the early spring and fall we get to sea level DA, but rarely below. Mid summer it can swell to 2500-3000' DA, so I was happy with the 650-950' DA last night.

You are 100% correct that I'm really only pitting my performance against my own personal bests. I know what my car is capable of, so I actually spend a lot of time trying to help my friends work on their personal bests. Last night, two of the other Mustangs in our group were running on wheels and drag radials that I'm loaning them. I also spent quite a bit of time inside another friend's car trying to clear codes and troubleshoot some advancetrac issues that he couldn't solve (I couldn't figure them out either, but I'm hellbent on his car running better). They've helped me a lot, as well, when I've struggled with issues in my prior cars. We're all cheering for each other's triumphs and brainstorming when there are issues. It's a lot like the forums here; everyone coming together to exchange info and help each other.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Nice job- I need to lose 80 pounds as a driver- man u make a lot of runs when you go - you would of went 11.4?'s if you would of gave a lil more cool down time- curious as well what a set of headers and near -da this fall would bring for you.

Thanks. Amazing what taking some weight off a car will do. Makes me want to buy some lightweight racing seat, k-member, etc. instead of chasing more power with bolt ons.

My first pass had the longest cool down time and was my best ET (11.51), although my 11.52 pass didn't have much cool down time. My car seems to run consistent even when hotlapping.

Our DA should drop by about 1000' or so this fall, so that should yield about a tenth quicker ET's, putting me firmly into the 11.40's. I don't want to install a rollbar in the car as it's a daily driver, so I'm hopeful that our local track officials won't sweat a few 11.40's once in awhile with my car.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Personally with good, bad, or whatever DA, running mid 11's with your daily driver is very cool! I'd rather drive to the track in a mid 11 second car, than trailer my mid 10 second car any day of the week. Yes, there's faster, but there always will be. There's probably someone around who has never heard of S197 forums, or the Corral, that can literally mop the friggin floor with the quickest car on whatever list you can find on these forums with less.....

My point here is, good job Brian. I'm glad you're enjoying your very streetable Stang, and putting "Ford" in the other brand's ears at your local tracks.. I wish I had a dollar for every modded stang, I've seen in th 13's and 14's btw.

Amen! Thanks for the support! I'm excited to see how your "new" Mustang comes together and progresses. Gotta love how these Coyote Automatics run at the strip!!!

There are certainly some fast full-bodied cars at our local tracks running in the 10's, 9's, and 8's. But, it's rare for a street legal car to run quicker than 10's, and even 10's aren't very common for a truly street legal & insured car, let alone a daily driver. I've beaten a lot of trailered race cars that aren't even remotely close to street legal. It's an understatement to say that I'm very happy with my daily driver's current performance. It's actually quicker than I ever really thought it would go with the minimal amount of mods I've chosen.

We have a good bunch of racers at our local tracks. Owners of all different brands get along very well without any smack talk. Sure, I love beating any non-Fords, but I can appreciate anything that's fast. I don't even mind when I get beat at the track as I have a deep respect for what it takes to go this quick. I've been fascinated by plenty of unusual cars and love to talk to their owners to hear what they've done to their cars and what results they're getting from those mods. I get a lot of non-Ford owners approach me in the pits wondering how my very stock appearing car manages the ET's it does. Again, lots of tolerance and mutual respect in the pits at our local tracks.

Ford has done a great job with the 5.0L Coyote, and there is a disproportionately large number of them showing up at our local tracks vs Camaro & Challenger, so I'm happy to represent and spread the word! I've even convinced a few brand-X racers to buy new Mustangs in the last couple of years!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Amen! Thanks for the support! I'm excited to see how your "new" Mustang comes together and progresses. Gotta love how these Coyote Automatics run at the strip!!!

There are certainly some fast full-bodied cars at our local tracks running in the 10's, 9's, and 8's. But, it's rare for a street legal car to run quicker than 10's, and even 10's aren't very common for a truly street legal & insured car, let alone a daily driver. I've beaten a lot of trailered race cars that aren't even remotely close to street legal. It's an understatement to say that I'm very happy with my daily driver's current performance. It's actually quicker than I ever really thought it would go with the minimal amount of mods I've chosen.

We have a good bunch of racers at our local tracks. Owners of all different brands get along very well without any smack talk. Sure, I love beating any non-Fords, but I can appreciate anything that's fast. I don't even mind when I get beat at the track as I have a deep respect for what it takes to go this quick. I've been fascinated by plenty of unusual cars and love to talk to their owners to hear what they've done to their cars and what results they're getting from those mods. I get a lot of non-Ford owners approach me in the pits wondering how my very stock appearing car manages the ET's it does. Again, lots of tolerance and mutual respect in the pits at our local tracks.

Ford has done a great job with the 5.0L Coyote, and there is a disproportionately large number of them showing up at our local tracks vs Camaro & Challenger, so I'm happy to represent and spread the word! I've even convinced a few brand-X racers to buy new Mustangs in the last couple of years!

To bad there are not more guys thinking like you two above IMO.

T.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Yip. I'm in that category with you guys. Street legal DOT DR's (rules out Hoosier unfortunately, they only make a DOT) and seekign 10's in a car I can slap the DR's on, drive to the track, make a 10sec hit, drive home, put the Nittos back on and go to the in-laws or a vacation comfortably while getting 20-22 avg MPG with the AC on and good drive-ability. To me THAT IS A DEFINED STREET CAR. This is why I have not gone to E85. Poor efficiency MPG wise, not always available. Most I know carry spare cans in their trunk in the event they can't find a station with E85. hopefully with the latest mods and new DR's I will be there in 1300-1400 avg DA. That's what we have been seeing through the summer months at our local track OR WORSE.

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
Nice round up Brian, wish I could have made it. Just a few weeks longer now ;)
Will definitely get a pass or two (if they let me!) in, probably end of August/Sept time frame.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
It's really impressive removing front seat/back seat got you like a .1 when you are running 11.6 and now 11.5. I can see a mid 13 second car picking up some but wouldn't expect it from a 11.6 car. As the wall gets harder to push the faster you go. Congratulations! I always like reading this thread as it reminds me don't need to waste money on CAI and just get a few core things and let rest of the aftermarket stuff behind.

topbliss

Reaction score
I wonder if you changed the gears back to stock again and retune if you will pick up mph and drop time? Il get you will and make it more fun to drive on the highway to boot

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back