15" MT ET Street Radials w/17" M&H Skinnies

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
For those of you that haven't been following along...

Front Wheels: Race Star 17" x 4.5" with 2.25" backspacing (I have GT 500 front brakes)
Front Tires: M&H Racemaster Front Runners 185/55R17
Rear Wheels: Race Star 15" x 10" with 7.5" backspacing
Rear Tires: M/T ET Street Radials P325/50R15
Same exact wheels that i have. Same rear tires. Just different front tires. I just took my rears off for the winter storage a month ago...NO sign of ever rubbing anything???

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if stick on balancing weights will clear the stock rear calipers and GT 500 front calipers?

Someone in another thread said they had clearance issues - see post# 22. That may have been with 15" front wheels and stock calipers - not sure...
My 15x10 rears with stick on weights clear my stock 2008 GT rear brakes just fine.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
My 15x10 rears with stick on weights clear my stock 2008 GT rear brakes just fine.

All 4 of my Race Star Wheels clear my calipers with stick on weights. For some reason the Race Star wheels he had issues with were 15". Perhaps whoever balanced his wheels used very thick stick on weights instead of the thinner 1/4 oz. stick on weights.

Last edited:

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
My front ones clear just fine also. My wheels were balanced with the thin weights.....that just may be why they clear. Racestars have massive clearance!!!! Unlike Billet Specialties that you have to grind the brake calipers. I originally wanted Billets....but when i called their tech and he said definatley NO to ever making bolt on/no clearance issue wheels for our cars...i changed my mind immediatley!! They still make them for F body GM,s....but they told me there was no way they would/could make ones for our S197 cars!!!! They only make the CENTER of their wheels....the outer rim/barrel (as the tech called it on the phone)....is purchased from another supplier!!! According to the Billet Specialties phone call...there is NOT enough call for wheels for our cars to manufacture them??????

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
According to the Billet Specialties phone call...there is NOT enough call for wheels for our cars to manufacture them??????

I find that hard to believe. Looks like Race Star found "enough call" for S197 wheels to manufacture them and seem to be more than willing to pick up the sales the other manufacturers are letting pass by.

Boozshey

Reaction score
They hooked me up with a good deal since I have to get 2 sets of tires mounted (8 tires). These and another set of 20s...

Anyways, here's the 15" the 17's will be tomorrow once the tires get here.

IMG_20110107_173112.jpg

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
I find that hard to believe. Looks like Race Star found "enough call" for S197 wheels to manufacture them and seem to be more than willing to pick up the sales the other manufacturers are letting pass by.
Exactly!!! To heck with Billet Specialties. I don't understand why the heck they wouldn't manufacture them...but that is exactly what the fellow on then phone told me. Also he said they BUY the outer barrel of the wheels from another supplier....maybe they don't want to design an exact fit..........to save $$$????? He told me that they only manufacture the center of the wheels. Their loss in ALOT of sales!!

Boozshey

Reaction score
Well race stars is doing it smart. Though these wheels will fit out cars. They also fit 3 lug patterns. Maybe Billet Specialties isn't smart enough to figure out how to do that.

Robertt305

forum member
Reaction score
Def looking Into this setup for the GT500.

What's the recommended vendor to purchase these wheels from
?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Had the best prices when I bought mine and also a great guy to deal with. I may be wrong but it seems like it's not a huge company so the customer service was awesome.

I would recommend them over any one else.

+1

When FedEx dropped the ball on my delivery he was on the phone to FedEx on Saturday night @ 9 PM. Now that's customer service!!

As Bruce already stated his prices are better than anyone else's too.

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
Hate to change the topic completely if It's already been asked here, but will I need to trim those brackets to fit a 28x12x15 tire?

A little background: I have a set of 6 race stars. My fronts (15x3.75 with M/T Sportsman s/r 26x6x15) stay the same for street or strip. The rears that I have for the strip are 15x8 with M/T ET Street Radial 275/60/15. They hook fine and I see no need to step up to a wider drag tire, but the street will chew those ET Streets up. I have a pair of 15x10 Race Stars (7.5bs) that I got got for a steal from someone who accidentally bought the wrong backspace. I'd like to throw a set of M/T Sportsman s/r 28x12x15 on them and run them on the street. That way they'll match the fronts (looks good for car shows) and I won't be chewing up my tires every time I drive on the street. So, will they fit? Thanks guys.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back