15s on front question

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
You may have said I will bend them, but you failed to give details. I could see bending skinnies hitting potholes and whatnot, but im not running skinnies. I don't see how wheels designed to stand up to the abuse of racing will be hurt just driving normal. So please, if you can point to a thread to back yourself up I will be more than happy to listen, otherwise I have heard of plenty of people not having a single problem on the street.

Not only will you most likely bend them when you hit a pothole, it makes highway driving sketchy as fuck. Now if your going to mount some ET streets on the back that will be better, but what are you going to do about the fronts?

Please, just put 15x8s all the way around on ET streets front and rear.

Not to mention anyone who has a fast car is going to laugh at you with slicks and skinnies on a sub 500 wheel "street car". Going to the track is one thing, but rolling around everyday on them?

The only thing left to do is write your "numbers" on your windows everytime after you wash her.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Not only will you most likely bend them when you hit a pothole, it makes highway driving sketchy as fuck. Now if your going to mount some ET streets on the back that will be better, but what are you going to do about the fronts?

Not to mention anyone who has a fast car is going to laugh at you with slicks and skinnies on a sub 500 wheel "street car". Going to the track is one thing, but rolling around everyday on them?

The only thing left to do is write your "numbers" on your windows everytime after you wash her.
LOL wow . . . . My lil 300 hp car has put a hurtin on 500+ on the street guess I should take off my Drag radials I'm not worthy.

Anyways enough bickering. What was the OP's plan? I read through and was confused.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
LOL wow . . . . My lil 300 hp car has put a hurtin on 500+ on the street guess I should take off my Drag radials I'm not worthy.

Anyways enough bickering. What was the OP's plan? I read through and was confused.

Radials are different than big and littles. You must have not been racing a 500 wheel car if your 300 wheel car was able to pull it. :dunce:

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Radials are different than big and littles. You must have not been racing a 500 wheel car if your 300 wheel car was able to pull it. :dunce:
What do you mean by big and littles? Big and littles can still be radials in my book.

It's not all about rwhp on the street. I've pulled a couple of bikes as well. Back to OP talk please.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score

If you listened you would know im not doing skinnies up front. And 15x8 wont fit up front. Im doing 17x8 up front. And im going to try and find street tires (or as close to as I can) for the back. M/Ts seem to fit that bill pretty well, my overall goal is about 430-450 to the wheels, so I don't think they will laugh too hard (besides like your sig says, I don't give a fuck.)

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
If you listened you would know im not doing skinnies up front. And 15x8 wont fit up front. Im doing 17x8 up front. And im going to try and find street tires (or as close to as I can) for the back. M/Ts seem to fit that bill pretty well, my overall goal is about 430-450 to the wheels, so I don't think they will laugh too hard (besides like your sig says, I don't give a fuck.)

You cant just say M/T, people will think you're going with the ET streets or something. Big difference(at least if you're going with the sportsman S/R like we discussed).

However,
I can see where Kuro is coming from. Seeing a car with 15" wheels you would tend to think it hits the track, and somebody will ask what times hes ran, and the response will be "well umm, I haven't gone but plan to..."

Kuro, I'm really curious to see this 15" wheel destruction you speak of. I want to go with a 17/15 setup as well, but mine is also not a DD. However, if the 800miles/year of driving I do with the car will destroy the wheels I'll think differently. There are many people who DD these wheels, thats why I ask for the proof.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Domestic rice. That is what this thread has become.

Kuro, I'm really curious to see this 15" wheel destruction you speak of. I want to go with a 17/15 setup as well, but mine is also not a DD. However, if the 800miles/year of driving I do with the car will destroy the wheels I'll think differently. There are many people who DD these wheels, thats why I ask for the proof.

Talking about skinnies.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
Domestic rice. That is what this thread has become.

Talking about skinnies.

Skinnies I could see(which again he is NOT planning to run). I thought you were saying the rears were getting destroyed and couldn't fathom how that would happen.

The rice thing will be debated forever, if the car sees the track a couple times a month is it no longer rice? I see the 15" wheels as a weight savings, and better traction with a ET Street radial on the back. Is that rice?

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
If it was me I would do 17X4.5's on front (Tall tire with good amount of sidewall) and 15X10's in the rear with a 275/60/15 (Nitto 555Dr great for street) Or M & H tire. The MT's any of them have horrible tread life and for your power you wont need that soft of a tire.

Get some wall on the tire like a 60 series or so that way you can use weight transfer to help the car gain traction. Weight can be your enemy or your friend.... depends how you use him.

Just my thought 17X4.5 on street are fine dont try and hit potholes but having a tall tire up front will help bending a wheel. 17X4.5's do not expect to autocross with these on the street nor the 15X8's or 10's. They are a drag racing style wheel.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
If it was me I would do 17X4.5's on front (Tall tire with good amount of sidewall) and 15X10's in the rear with a 275/60/15 (Nitto 555Dr great for street) Or M & H tire. The MT's any of them have horrible tread life and for your power you wont need that soft of a tire.

Get some wall on the tire like a 60 series or so that way you can use weight transfer to help the car gain traction. Weight can be your enemy or your friend.... depends how you use him.

Just my thought 17X4.5 on street are fine dont try and hit potholes but having a tall tire up front will help bending a wheel. 17X4.5's do not expect to autocross with these on the street nor the 15X8's or 10's. They are a drag racing style wheel.

In mass the skinnies will get destroyed, I'd be willing to bet. The car is a DD, so a DR would get a bit scary when it gets wet out which is why I think the whole 15" thing is silly. Mass weather is unpredictable and DR's + twinscrew and rain could end bad.

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
Even still, "drag wheels" on a car that doesn't really need them is no different than a big wing on a supra. On a GT car those wings provide downforce, just like big and littles provide traction for an outlaw car.

A set of e/t streets on stock rims will quell your traction problems

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Florida aint no better we see tons of rain. Love my Nittos in the rain compared to other tires.

I DD 15's everyday on a DR.

I'm not sure about the streets of mass and I dont know what snow is lol. Keep that in mind.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
Even still, "drag wheels" on a car that doesn't really need them is no different than a big wing on a supra. On a GT car those wings provide downforce, just like big and littles provide traction for an outlaw car.

I agree. He is looking for traction, however it is on the street. I think maybe we should go to the track Kevin, then you can decide if you need extra. I think a simple tire switch will help out given I bet you're still on stock rubber?

I cant stop laughing at the gif in your sig, haha.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
Florida aint no better we see tons of rain. Love my Nittos in the rain compared to other tires.

I DD 15's everyday on a DR.

I'm not sure about the streets of mass and I dont know what snow is lol. Keep that in mind.

He does have an extra set of wheels/tires for snow duty

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score

So what car really needs them???? Thats not rice. He is saving weight, gaining traction, and looks better. With cheaper tire prices and more weight transfer with out a stiff side wall like the 17+ wheel dr's

I had 17 dr's on stock wheels didnt help me much but thats my car not everyones. (BETTER THAN STOCK TIRES but still had traction issues)

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score

Really im doing this because I want to leave my snow tires on my stock rims so I can swap them myself, so I figured while I was at it I would get something that looked badass. Its not like im doing this on a stock car. I am supercharged and plan to do a bit more in the future. And I have already decided that I will be going to the track a couple times a year. Just havent got there yet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back