2005 shaker 1k crapped, now what?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am putting my 2005 back to street duty, as I'm done drag racing it. Suspension is back to corner carving, but the radio doesn't seem to be getting power. It's a Shaker 1000. The trunk amps and sub are long gone, sold, but the speakers are all in place still.

I had some work done on the car recently, and the car came back with the radio dead. The radio fuse is fine, but I need to check the remaining fuses and power to the head unit. Based on this radio's history, I think it's gone south, perhaps from an electrical surge.

Anyhow, are there units out there that provide the radio and system menu controls? Yes or no, either way I'd like to swap out the head unit with a good radio/CD player, with a standard aux for my mp3 player. I don't really think I want to dump money into NAV unless it's reasonable. I have had such bad experience with Sirius billing errors that I'll never get satellite radio again.

Is Crutchfield a good place to start?

Thanks guys, it's been a while since I've been on forum seeking help!

John

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I am putting my 2005 back to street duty, as I'm done drag racing it. Suspension is back to corner carving, but the radio doesn't seem to be getting power. It's a Shaker 1000. The trunk amps and sub are long gone, sold, but the speakers are all in place still.

I had some work done on the car recently, and the car came back with the radio dead. The radio fuse is fine, but I need to check the remaining fuses and power to the head unit. Based on this radio's history, I think it's gone south, perhaps from an electrical surge.

Anyhow, are there units out there that provide the radio and system menu controls? Yes or no, either way I'd like to swap out the head unit with a good radio/CD player, with a standard aux for my mp3 player. I don't really think I want to dump money into NAV unless it's reasonable. I have had such bad experience with Sirius billing errors that I'll never get satellite radio again.

Is Crutchfield a good place to start?

Thanks guys, it's been a while since I've been on forum seeking help!

John

Cruchfield isn't bad. They charge over MSRP on some items. Online car stereo has great prices and you can get a warranty.

Currently I have the Alpine IVA-W505. It's a double din unit, but GPS is an add on. I got it when I worked at a car audio/video store.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
crutchfield may charge more but they give you literally everything to install the radio so well worth it in my opinion. i got my headunit from them.

i recommend pioneer i just got their top of the line avh model from this year and the thing is bad fuckin ass. last years model can be had for a considerable amount cheaper and do just about everything.

Fox-4

Reaction score
crutchfield may charge more but they give you literally everything to install the radio so well worth it in my opinion. i got my headunit from them.

i recommend pioneer i just got their top of the line avh model from this year and the thing is bad fuckin ass. last years model can be had for a considerable amount cheaper and do just about everything.

Their customer support is pretty good and well worth the added cost when buying from their site. :2cents:

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
also you can get great prices from sonicelectronix.com

Great Customer service, they give you the same free stuff Crutchfield does.

I order all my stuff from them.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

I mean all you need is a wiring and dash adaptor to put in a head unit. That's like $12.

Personally I don't use crutch field because I can get the same thing from an authorized dealer at a lower price.

The one thing cruchfield does have is selection.

My $0.02 here, but if you're seriously considering using cruchfield, just find a reputable local audio video store instead.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Or if you just want another OEM head unit, I have a Shaker 500 in my garage. Everything worked when pulled from my friends 05 GT.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
also you can get great prices from sonicelectronix.com

Great Customer service, they give you the same free stuff Crutchfield does.

I order all my stuff from them.

Just ordered some stuff from them. On one item sonic was almost $100 cheaper then crutchfield.

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, research at Crutchfield, buy almost anywhere else. I've been buying from sonicelectronix lately and have been happy, many head units come with free install kit and wire adaptor. Free shipping in CA, too.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback so far. With all the variety available, it's going to be tough figuring out what head unit can drive the 4 speakers and the two door mounted subs (like I said, the trunk amp/sub is long gone and not desired anyhow). It might be best just talking with a car audio shop. I only need FM radio for local stations, a CD player (one is fine, I don't need 6 as in the Shaker 1000), Bluetooth support, Aux input for my Sansa Fuse+ MP3 player, and maybe Sirius support should I decide to let them have my credit card again.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback so far. With all the variety available, it's going to be tough figuring out what head unit can drive the 4 speakers and the two door mounted subs (like I said, the trunk amp/sub is long gone and not desired anyhow). It might be best just talking with a car audio shop. I only need FM radio for local stations, a CD player (one is fine, I don't need 6 as in the Shaker 1000), Bluetooth support, Aux input for my Sansa Fuse+ MP3 player, and maybe Sirius support should I decide to let them have my credit card again.

Then that is easy.

You just need a HU that you like, and the basic harness.

As far as sirius, you will need an add on box for that and of course a subscription.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

That's a pretty easy bill to fit. Driving four speakers and the two subs isn't a hard job; the OEM equipment is pretty lax on power handling. Probably any medium to high end aftermarket head unit will do.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty easy bill to fit. Driving four speakers and the two subs isn't a hard job; the OEM equipment is pretty lax on power handling. Probably any medium to high end aftermarket head unit will do.

Will a head unit be capable of driving the 4 speakers AND the two door mounted subs?

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Will a head unit be capable of driving the 4 speakers AND the two door mounted subs?

Yes, and if you have one that has built in crossovers. That way you can take the bass out of the 4 small speakers and use the door as subs.

You would be suprised how much a aftermarket HU would make the OEM shaker sound better.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Yes, and if you have one that has built in crossovers. That way you can take the bass out of the 4 small speakers and use the door as subs.

You would be suprised how much a aftermarket HU would make the OEM shaker sound better.

Exactly. It's unbelievable how much better the baseline aftermarket head units are in terms of power handling than the OEM units.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
There is a separate amp for the door subs. It's up under the drivers side dash.

So yes, any aftermarket head unit can power the 6 stockers. You'll still need to do the 5v resistor/voltage regulator mod to the remote wire to keep it from popping on turn on.

I love pioneer head units, personally. I've got a older premier in my car now which I love, and I just put 2 base models in for the wife and a friend and they work great and sound great. I HATE the new mega menu compared to the old head units. I'd like to get my hands on a new higher end pioneer and see what they're made of.

I've never had one fail in any way.

Last edited:

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Ordered my last two radios from sonic. One for the mustang and one for the truck. Ordered both on sunday nights had them both by the following tuesday. Sonic also has online coupons. Awesome tech support and customer service. All shipping is free. On the truck. Free dash kit and wiring harness. On the mustang just the radio but they discounted the price since I didn't need the wiring harness or dash kit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back