2006 Mustang GT tires

Kjmarino

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mustang GT with the stock 17” rims. I am considering making it a track/autoX only car. Only problem is I can’t find track only tires for my wheel size.

Suggested size is 17x8 (stock) - 235/55/17 and 255/50/17

Maybe I’m looking at the wrong sites, but nothing track only or track focused is coming up. Best I can find is firestone firehawk Indy 500 and Dunlop direzza dz102.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don’t really want to buy new wheels, but it looks like that might be needed.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do u want a slick style race tire?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
There really isn't much in 17" that will work very well on the OE 17" wheels for track duty with such a heavy car. My guess is that you'll outgrow 8" wide wheels in any diameter (and any tire sizes that fits them anywhere near reasonably well) fairly quickly anyway. Tires that are big enough for the car won't work with 8" wide rims, and sizes that work on the 8's will be too small for the purpose.

Autocross is a somewhat different animal, where seemingly small modifications can bump you up into classes that the car won't otherwise be prepared enough for.

If it helps any, I started out tracking my '08 GT on 18x9.5 GT500 wheels and 255/45 tires. Outgrew those before too long, too.

Norm

Kjmarino

Reaction score
What size wheels do you run now? Did they require any fender or other modifications?

I assume you have some preferences on tires as well.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
You'll need to consider new wheels and how deep you want to get into track/autox.

At a minimum, an 18x10 square wheel setup will allow you to easily rotate to better manage tire life. 285/35 is a popular tire for track/autox and fits well on a 10" wheel.

With suspension modifications, you can run 18x11 at all four corners with different offsets front and rear. They can't be rotated front to rear with different offsets. Maybe slight fender rolling is needed but no other body modifications. 315/30 is a popular tire for track/autox and fits well on a 11" wheel.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
A 245/45 17 tire will fit on the 8" rim. I have a set of Falken Azenis 615 tires in that size on 17x8 GT wheels. Yes, they bulge a little, but not bad.

I really like the Nitto NT01 tires. On 17x9 wheels 245/45 17 is a nice combo for an S179. I haven't tried to put those on an 17x 8 inch rim myself, but I think it is possible to do.

You will outgrow those quick though. A 275/40 18 tire would be a better choice, that is my "daily driver" setup size.

I have 19x10 wheels for track duty now, and in search of the widest tire that will fit and clear. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
What size wheels do you run now? Did they require any fender or other modifications?

I assume you have some preferences on tires as well.
If this was aimed at me, sorry I missed it.

Forgestar F14 in 18x11
Michelin PSS in 285/35-18 (max-recommended wheel fitment for the size)
No fender modification.
Car was not lowered in my sig picture but has been dropped about half an inch since.
I did stiffen the bushings in the PHB (an old DIY approach) but may not have needed to.

That's my current HPDE track setup (though it does see street time). No rubbing even peaking above 1.3g in the corners.

My street setup is PSS in 265/40-18 on 18x9.5 GT500 wheels. Definitely a softer-feeling setup.

Norm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back