2007 GT500 hood rust under the paint and stripes

shelbygirl

Reaction score
I had the car in a coastal environment for about 5 years, and this problem started.

Rust? Bubbling under the vinyl stripe and some of the hood edge. The crazy thing is, I had the 3M rock shield installed on that front part of the hood - and it goes back almost to the hood vents.

It does not appear that any rock chip penetrated the 3M, or the stripe, so how did rust just start? Do you think I should approach Ford, or is it a lost cause?

I could get a new fiberglass or carbon fiber hood, but hear the paint cracks quickly. So I guess I will look for a nicer steel hood and get it striped.

Have you seen this problem, and what did you do about it? Thanks.

paint bubble 1.jpg

paint bubble edge.jpg

paint vinyl bubble 2.jpg

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The stock hood is aluminum and oxidation, especially near the front edge, is quite common. You could have it stripped back and repainted but with extra protection to prevent oxidation reforming.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
They had a TSB for it back in the day. Iron particles got embedded in the aluminum when it was originally being formed. The two different metals reacted and you get bubbles.

Mine did that around 2011 (5 yrs later for my 06) so I replaced it with fiberglass. I haven't had any problems with the paint cracking but it does chip off from rock chips easier. I imagine a clear bra would help with that though

Edit-- there are some people that had good luck with a repaint of the stock hood (some even got Ford to pay for it), while others saw it come back. The corrosion has to be cleaned out with a brass wire brush and all of the iron have to be removed, otherwise it'll keep reacting. That's why I said screw it and got fiberglass

VirgoLady2828

Reaction score
They had a TSB for it back in the day. Iron particles got embedded in the aluminum when it was originally being formed. The two different metals reacted and you get bubbles.

Mine did that around 2011 (5 yrs later for my 06) so I replaced it with fiberglass. I haven't had any problems with the paint cracking but it does chip off from rock chips easier. I imagine a clear bra would help with that though

Edit-- there are some people that had good luck with a repaint of the stock hood (some even got Ford to pay for it), while others saw it come back. The corrosion has to be cleaned out with a brass wire brush and all of the iron have to be removed, otherwise it'll keep reacting. That's why I said screw it and got fiberglass

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I vote f/ the new carbon fiber hood...probably not much more $$$ than re-painting your stocker. :D

shelbygirl

Reaction score
Got a quote from the painter that Evergreen Ford uses. They say new hood, mount, prep, paint and stripes will be $4k to $5k. No, I'm not kidding. I got a quote from a Shelby place in Vegas to paint the entire car, pillars, under hood and trunk, for $10k

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
It cost me about $4400 to do the fiberglass hood ($700 Shelby hood, $3700 in paint) but that was painting stripes on the whole car. Just the hood was going to be $700 +$400 to blend the fenders

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If you can find a shop that can get Zinc-Chromate primer and will use it it will help a great deal.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the stripes. If you look under the front edge, the bubbling started back there.
FYI, the bodyshop that did my glass hood PURCHASED my stock hood for another car. I did keep up with the bubbling paint before it wrapped around to the outside.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yes, it starts under the leading edge of the hood, not on top.
My wife's '08 is showing some, under the edges.
The way the lip folds over, I believe water gets under there after washes or rain, and eventually leads to rust.
To minimize it, you could pop the hood after every car wash and let it air dry for a while. Obviously not something you can do if you just go through a car wash and need to get going, or when driving in the rain. But it's an idea, for those that don't drive the car in the rain and do their own washing.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, it starts under the leading edge of the hood, not on top.
My wife's '08 is showing some, under the edges.
The way the lip folds over, I believe water gets under there after washes or rain, and eventually leads to rust.
To minimize it, you could pop the hood after every car wash and let it air dry for a while. Obviously not something you can do if you just go through a car wash and need to get going, or when driving in the rain. But it's an idea, for those that don't drive the car in the rain and do their own washing.
I kept up with the bubbling before it wrapped around. Dremel, wire wheel, and some rattle can to cover it. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back